Car auctions

tdm

Hi all,

does anyone have any info regarding second hand car auctions in Thailand, more specifically locations and dates, I'm in Eastern Thailand but can travel pretty much anywhere for a decent sizeable auction.

many thanks in advance for any replies.

You need to be real careful buying anything at one of those auctions. You need to have an understanding of what Thai's do to wrecked vehicles. It's not uncommon for them to weld the front and back from two cars together, repaint then sell as a used car. Pretty much everything that is illegal elsewhere has zero restrictions here. Suggest you go with someone who knows what to look for.

2 hours ago, kensisaket said:

You need to be real careful buying anything at one of those auctions. 

You also need to be real careful buying second hand cars online or in particular from facebook. There seems an ever increasing amount of Russian car dealers operating here now

Da Roadrunner is ex motor trade, even professionals get caught out at auctions. Problem with auctions is you cannot drive the car before you buy. So problems with chassis alignment due to accident and also gearbox faults will not show up until after you have paid. Caveat emptor.

Big C Pattaya has them occasionally, I once bought an Isuzu from an auction in BKK, never again..anything that has a low reserve usually gets into a bidding war and end up paying more...not cheap. With tens of thousands for sale in car dealers and on line, why bother, plenty bargains out there that you can test drive and have a thorough check

46 minutes ago, tomtaylor1 said:

Hi anyone out there know if and when the next seized car auction will be held, at The Customs House Bangkok, or a reliable link , which can notify me.

Thank you.

Tom

Call the Customs Dept English-speaking centre, 1164, they will be able to tell you.

On 12/11/2019 at 5:16 PM, Kenchamp said:

You also need to be real careful buying second hand cars online or in particular from facebook. There seems an ever increasing amount of Russian car dealers operating here now

Check the sellers id matches the reg book. Also check if there is a bank or finance co stamp in the reg book.

Russians? Yes, I have met one trying to sell a car he did not own. Thais are up to similar tricks.

Some ask you to send money and they will deliver the car later. (Yeah sure). Best way is to only hand over money once the car is in your name at the DLT.

13 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Check the sellers id matches the reg book. Also check if there is a bank or finance co stamp in the reg book.

I'm interested to know what you mean with regard to the finance co stamp and any implications one might have with any vehicle showing one?

Surely if the seller has the book and the signed transfer papers then there should not be any outstanding finance on the vehicle, or have i got that wrong?

I'm not totally against buying from a trader after all trading is almost what makes the world go round, but there are some who are into dodgy practices like clocking mileages and falsifying documents ect

2 hours ago, Kenchamp said:

I'm interested to know what you mean with regard to the finance co stamp and any implications one might have with any vehicle showing one?

Cars bought with finance - bank or any other - will have the place holding the note as the owner.

Once finance is complete, you go to the bank with your house book and Thai ID / foreigner passport. They transfer the vehicle title from themselves to the person who paid off the note

Vehicles sold at legitimate auctions should not have any outstanding finance on them. Not sure in Thailand but I would think there will be an idemnity fee payable by the buyer just incase it does turn out to have outstanding finance or be stolen.

It amuses me that people are happy to buy used cars from main agents and dealers but would not buy at auction. Where do they think the dealers get their stock from? Many, many late model, low mileage cars are sent to auction by large companies such as finance company repossessions, rental companies, banks and other large corporations that provide company cars.

19 hours ago, Lancashirelad said:

Vehicles sold at legitimate auctions should not have any outstanding finance on them. Not sure in Thailand but I would think there will be an idemnity fee payable by the buyer just incase it does turn out to have outstanding finance or be stolen.

It amuses me that people are happy to buy used cars from main agents and dealers but would not buy at auction. Where do they think the dealers get their stock from? Many, many late model, low mileage cars are sent to auction by large companies such as finance company repossessions, rental companies, banks and other large corporations that provide company cars.

It is possible to buy a good car at an auction....... if you like playing Russian Roulette. Its a bit like going into a bar, paying for the girl and taking her home only to discover she is a ladyboy.

Archived