Regenerative Agriculture

sbf

13 hours ago, sbf said:

I just watched this presentation on regenerative agriculture by an Aussie soil microbiologist which I found very interesting. A long watch but he gets his points across in an easily digestible manner. Put everything into an evolutionary perspective for me anyway. 

Thanks sbf,an hour of my life i won't get back.

I'm a bit harsh but surprised the audience stayed awake,a sound principal but no solutions offered.

A two minute read here...https://www.farmweekly.com.au/story/6560458/study-to-look-at-impact-of-subsoil-constraints/?cs=5158

• 7 months later...

As for grazing ,could be a problem ,a lot of clover in the sward ,clover has a lot of nitrogen in it ,if cattle graze that sward, and they have had very little green feed before ie a diet of rice straw  ,a sward like this  they could suffer from bloat, the best way get the local farmers to cut and cart the crop.

Also, if they are a lot of young Sorghum plants in the sward they can be poisonous to cattle , but, alright if cut and willed for 24 hours ,most cattle farmers should know about sorghum. 

You say you are going to roll the crop and then drill ,that would be direct drilling ?.

I have written this before ,a tined cultivator would do well , maybe going both ways.up and down and across the field  it would incorporate some cover and would help control some weeds ,I would avoid spraying ,just think of all that green manure  /organic matter  being incorporated in to the land ,it would do the land a lot of good ,and could make drilling  easier.  

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

There is this guy, Ernst Götsch, which uses the term "syntropic agriculture" and turned a huge almost lifeless piece of land into a very productive forest (produces very high quality cacao beans). His way is focused onto alley cropping with support trees and grasses which are used for mulch and fertilizer. Also he claims if you prune at the right time, no irrigation is needed. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ST9NyHf09M

• Thanks 1

Farmerjo, we decided against the chemical approach and rolled down. It was ok, and I think with some modification of the species mix when we sow the cover crop again this year it will work well. Initial weed suppression was good for the subsequent crop. Because it was wet season the mulch did not stay that long, but long enough for the subsequent crop to establish and close canopy.  On one difficult field where we had a substantial weed problem the cover crop completely suppressed the weeds with just a very few managing to seed, which augurs well going forwards. Some of the sorghums were not killed by the rolling / crimping and regrew from tillers into the subsequent crop which gave us some problems. We had to go through and hand cut out as much of the as possible before harvesting which was a chore. I think this year we will replace the sorghums with something else. I am about to soil test so we will see if it has managed to raise soil organic matter levels at all. 

The technique of sowing straight into the rolled cover / stubble has worked really well with our post rice crop sowings of Sunn Hemp. We have what looks at this stage to be our best crop ever ripening, we will see when we harvest in about a month. I think three main factors are responsible.

We can get the crop sown earlier as we are not waiting for the land to dry out enough to till, this gives us an extra 2-3 critical weeks of early growth in high surface soil moisture levels.

The thick rice straw mulch retains moisture in the upper layer of the soil longer which help as we get into pod formation and filling, indeed the surface soil is still soft, slightly moist and friable now. The rice straw is now heavily degraded on the surface and will not cause any problem once Sunn Hemp harvest is complete and we look towards sowing a cover crop on that land in the early rains before resowing rice in June / July. 

Every year we field select our best plants by hand for resowing before we combine the remainder of the crop, so we are probably benefiting from some genetic improvement.

IMG_1007.HEIC IMG_0659.HEIC

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Here's a new YouTube video to add to the awesome list of resources in the OP, and what others have added. 

This discussion highlights the acquired natural resistance to pests and diseases that comes with beneficial biology enhanced soil and plant health .  

I see why you revere Dr Christine Jones.  The information she is putting out is extraordinary! and a brave new way of looking at agronomy and fertilization.  Her discussion of nitrogen fixation and looking beyond legumes is a revelation. 

This is a relatively new video from a series.  And the host is a cover crop seed company with a website that is highly informative. The Blog has links to other webinars with Dr Jones.  The seed mixes utilize multiple plant families, brassicas, broadleaf, grasses, legumes.  greencover.com 

Grow Your Future » Green Cover Seed 

• 1 month later...
On 8/1/2021 at 7:05 PM, IsaanAussie said:

Is this forum still active? Good question. Format then name changes seem to have diminished interest from long term posters like me. Definitely a very slow traffic flow. 

Yes, let's keep it active!  In my opinion this is one of the most important discussions that has taken place here and I'm grateful to SBF for the inspiration and the links and to others for their contributions. 

I was recently released from solitary confinement, (also known as ASQ for two weeks in a Bangkok hotel).  I prepared myself mentally for the experience and brought reading material and YouTube video links, as well as an online solo exercise program.  It wasn't too bad, especially since I made good use of the time.  It gave me a chance to dig in to this material in more depth than I  had previously and its a mind blower.  

There is information being presented by Dr Christine Jones, Dr Elaine Ingham, Gabe Brown, Graeme Sait and others that SBF provided links for, that could be a game changer for climate change issues, regenerating depleted and misused soils, and potential profitability for farmers. 

One of SBFs links led me to some info in Thai about a German/Thai cooperative. Anybody had any direct experience with GIZ projects? 

Sustainable Agrifood in ASEAN (asean-agrifood.org)

Factsheet_Strengthening-Climate-Smart-Rice-Value-Chains_TH_CLEAN.pdf

https://www.asean-agrifood.org/modules-thailand-oil-palm-smallholder-academy-topsa/

1.1-What-is-RSPO.pdf

TOPSA_Final21_12_2020.pdf (asean-agrifood.org) Sustainable Agrifood in ASEAN (asean-agrifood.org)

Publications | Sustainable Agrifood System in ASEAN (asean-agrifood.org)

Factsheets | Sustainable Agrifood System in ASEAN (asean-agrifood.org)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

• 4 months later...

New book, by master regen ag educator John Kempf: 

Quality Agriculture: Conversations about Regenerative Agronomy with Innovative Scientists and Growers

https://a.co/d/7meT3Ht

"An increasing number of farmers and scientists believe the foundational ideas of mainstream agronomy are incomplete and unsound. Conventional crop production ignores biology in favor of chemical interventions, leading farmers to buy inputs they don’t need. Fertilizer recommendations keep going up, pest pressure becomes more intense, pesticide applications are needed more often, and soil health continues to degrade. However, innovative growers and researchers are beginning to think differently about production agriculture systems. They have developed practices that regenerate soil and plant health and that deliver much better results than mainstream methods. Using these principles, growers are able to decrease fertilizer applications, reduce disease and insect pressure, hold more water in the soil, improve soil health, and grow crops that are more resilient to climatic extremes, increasing farm profitability immediately. As a leading agronomist and teacher, John Kempf has implemented regenerative agricultural systems on millions of acres across many different crop types and growing regions with his team at Advancing Eco Agriculture. In Quality Agriculture, John interviews a group of growers, consultants, and scientists who describe how to think and farm differently in order to produce exceptional results in the field. Their remarkable insights will challenge you, encourage you, and inspire gratitude and joy for the rewards of working with natural systems."

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1734844507/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_XDN32E955ZH43K3A8YVF_0

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

The remarkable Australian soil microbiologist Dr Christine Jones does it again. Extraordinary presentation of revelationary information for growers and livestock ranchers: 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I've been experimenting with these principles on my small farm, focusing on improving soil health and biodiversity. One thing I've found incredibly beneficial is integrating a diverse range of plants and reducing chemical inputs, which has noticeably improved the quality of my soil and the health of my crops.

In line with these practices, I've also been exploring intelligent farming technologies to enhance my farm's efficiency and productivity further. I came across https://thingsboard.io/smart-farming/, a platform that significantly streamlines the creation of smart farming solutions. It offers features like reliable data collection from IoT devices, a powerful rule engine for data processing, and advanced visualization tools for real-time and historical data. This technology has helped me optimize resource consumption and gain valuable insights into the farm's operation, aligning well with my regenerative agriculture practices.

Edited by lickard

20 hours ago, lickard said:

I've been experimenting with these principles on my small farm, focusing on improving soil health and biodiversity. One thing I've found incredibly beneficial is integrating a diverse range of plants and reducing chemical inputs, which has noticeably improved the quality of my soil and the health of my crops.

In line with these practices, I've also been exploring intelligent farming technologies to enhance my farm's efficiency and productivity further. I came across https://thingsboard.io/smart-farming/, a platform that significantly streamlines the creation of smart farming solutions. It offers features like reliable data collection from IoT devices, a powerful rule engine for data processing, and advanced visualization tools for real-time and historical data. This technology has helped me optimize resource consumption and gain valuable insights into the farm's operation, aligning well with my regenerative agriculture practices.

Interesting! Tell us more. What province is your farm located in? What are you growing? Commerical crops, or for your own consumption?  What soil improvement methods and inputs are you using?  And how does this 'Internet of Things' work with your farming. 

• 2 months later...

Regan Ag movement is gaining traction worldwide, for good reasons. When will Thailand farmers get on board? 

This from the University of California, finally. 

Glenda Humiston 

Vice President

UC Agriculture and Natural Resources 

In January I’ve been participating in a variety of planning meetings to set priorities and objectives for UC ANR’s work in the new year. One discussion that will have ramifications for many of us, not just in the coming months but for years down the road, is the ongoing dialogue around defining “regenerative agriculture.”

Presently, the term represents a somewhat nebulous but undeniably significant movement toward agriculture that builds soil health, strengthens biodiversity and sequesters carbon for the benefit of people and planet. But more concrete language is necessary to guide future policy, practices and programs; encompass our state’s wide range of ecosystems and soils; and meet the needs of a wide range of stakeholders.

It is imperative we have a sensible, science-based definition. And it needs to work for farmers and ranchers of all sizes, tribes, scientists, businesses and environmental groups – as well as the broader public whose sustenance relies on strong and resilient food systems.

The California Department of Food and Agriculture and the State Board of Food and Agriculture are collecting comments at RegenerativeAg AT cdfa.ca.gov and hosting listening sessions in February, April and May on this crucial topic. I encourage you to attend an upcoming session – and spread the word among your colleagues, clientele and community members to share their feedback – so we can work together to craft a definition that is relevant and useful for all.

Regenerative agriculture was a major theme of this year’s EcoFarm Conference, held Jan. 17-20 in Pacific Grove. 

Edited by Rimmer
email address edited per forum rules