Motorbike loses its registration after 3 years?

happysanook

I once had to visit the DLT for this very reason. They fined me 7 baht / day, plus I had to pay 3 years unpaid tax. They then gave me a new blue book and new registration plates. The friendly DLT officer even swapped the plates over for me in their car park. I even got to choose my new number! Amazing Thailand.

I bought a 10 year old Click from a friend of my wife's as she was going to live in BKK and didn't want to take it with her. 

When we all went to change the name of ownership she hadn't paid any tax for several years as she only used it around the village.

I wanted it to be taxed so it could be used to go into town if necessary and not get stopped to pay any fines to the BiB.

I paid the tax owed, about 3000 baht I think and got a new number plate.

It's now renewed every year.

Yes thats a fact.. And while its fairly easy to pay some fines and get it re-instated for a simple click etc, if its anything that came from the grey bike era, any thing about it that doesnt match (frame numbers of a different model) often the very reason the reg lapsed in the first place, its not going to be easy to get a plate re-issued. 

1 hour ago, Andycoops said:

I bought a 10 year old Click from a friend of my wife's as she was going to live in BKK and didn't want to take it with her. 

When we all went to change the name of ownership she hadn't paid any tax for several years as she only used it around the village.

I wanted it to be taxed so it could be used to go into town if necessary and not get stopped to pay any fines to the BiB.

I paid the tax owed, about 3000 baht I think and got a new number plate.

It's now renewed every year.

m/cycles are 100 baht a year + one years insurance at 300 odd baht, 

1 hour ago, wallybee said:

How long before the actual registration month can you go for registration?

You pay  road tax and compulsory insurance ( extra insurance if you want) every year..after 5 years you also have to have the bike inspected for "road worthiness" every year...you do not "register" a vehicle every year !

road tax can be paid upto 90 days before the old one expires.

There was recently a thread on here (somewhere the search function is useless) where tax hadn't been paid for 7 years..the DLT just made the new owner pay all back tax..then no problem.

7 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

Can you sell a bike without a number plate....

What I mean is can you transfer your old plate number to a new bike and sell your old bike without a number?

No you can't sell it  without a number plate..as the plate and bike go together

( you can sell it without the plate being physically existing maybe its lost or stolen)

if you own 2 motorbikes ( or car,trucks) with plates from the same province you can go to the DLT and  have them swap the number plates in their database and update the green/blue books...you may also be able to do that with different provinces plates but with more difficulty.  You can only swap from bike to bike  or car to car  not bike to car or car to bike.

Each province has a "pool" of number plates that can be used   as far as I can tell you can't/shouldnt have  

for example  2 vehicles registered one as " gor gor nor 8888  Bangkok"   and another one "gor gor nor 8888 Chaingmai"

4 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

I just paid tax on my Aerox and Ducati. Aerox 850ish, Ducati 950ish. 

i replied to a post about honda click, which is 100 baht for tax and about 300 something baht for compulsory insurance, so i dont think that 850 and 950 is just for the yearly tax. pick up trucks 2 door and open cab are that price. so your mistaken or something else was included, look in the back of the green book it will show the annual amount that is required i think page 16

4 hours ago, steve187 said:

so i dont think that 850 and 950 is just for the yearly tax.

Is it because of CC could be higher...? 

What is a good tool to use to find out value / fair asking price of 

used motorcycles? I’m looking to buy a used fino type automatic 

for Papa and don’t want to get hosed.....

he rides motos good but he has a very difficult time putting his 

leg up to get on ... so it’ll make it easier for him.

9 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Is it because of CC could be higher...? 

What is a good tool to use to find out value / fair asking price of 

used motorcycles? I’m looking to buy a used fino type automatic 

for Papa and don’t want to get hosed.....

he rides motos good but he has a very difficult time putting his 

leg up to get on ... so it’ll make it easier for him.

what sort of age you looking for, some well priced snatch backs available 1 year to 3 years old with low kilometres, i just search on line, 2-3 year old fino 125cc with low 000, kilos about 33,000 baht

I have a bike we just keep around that is over 12 years not registered. What do you guys think the cost will be to get it back up to legal speed? We ride it a little bit. It is actually our first bike together from almost over 20 years ago so it has feelings attached to it. 

26 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

I have a bike we just keep around that is over 12 years not registered. What do you guys think the cost will be to get it back up to legal speed? We ride it a little bit. It is actually our first bike together from almost over 20 years ago so it has feelings attached to it. 

your looking at 1,550 baht for 12 years tax and 1 year compulsory insurance + changing number plates  so at a guess 2,000 baht  + a few trips to the road tax office

Archived