4 months in

Nakmuay887

29 minutes ago, thequietman said:

but take care as others have said. They can get pretty petty here and currently foreigners are not that popular. 

Nonsense posts repeated endlessly here by cranky old men with erectile dysfunction.. over and over and over...there has never been a time on TV where foreigners were popular according to expats. Thais dont get jaded but old farts running out of health and $$$ certainly do !!

33 minutes ago, thequietman said:

Any pics of you walking on water ?? ????

You are a credit to your family, but take care as others have said. They can get pretty petty here and currently foreigners are not that popular. 

Keep up the great work. Chok dee.

I appreciate that very much 

Thank you sir

Just now, madmen said:

Nonsense posts repeated endlessly here by cranky old men with erectile dysfunction.. over and over and over...there has never been a time on TV where foreigners were popular according to expats. Thais dont get jaded but old farts running out of health and $$$ certainly do !!

In all my trips visiting over the years I've had a problem once. 

Since moving here I haven't had a single problem. 

In fact I find Thais easier to deal with than fellow Canadians back home. I'm treated very well here in Tak. Hell, I can't walk down the soi to get a drink or ice without a Thai stopping on their bike to try and give me a lift. 

I helped the neighbors put up a new house (shack) for the Burmese family who tends to the property and every morning the old Thai couple knock on my door with fresh eggs and coffee. Like clockwork. at 7 am. People are great to me 

Great story (& by that I mean real-life story), what a refreshing change from a lot of the negative threads we have on here at times... 

One thing I'd pick up on is when you say "I know I'm not "desired type of farang to be living in Thailand" at least if I go by the opinions of many on this board. I'm not retired or wealthy"... I'd suggest you're exactly the type of desired Farang where you're living, as proven by how much you get back from the local kids/people there.

In the middle of making the move to Thailand myself so am off to read your original thread, you certainly seem to have hit the ground running following it so I'm sure I can learn a lot ???? 

All the best wishes for your future endeavours, Oh and fabulous pictures... I think you could have a career as a photographer if you ever do hang up the gloves. 

13 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Great story (& by that I mean real-life story), what a refreshing change from a lot of the negative threads we have on here at times... 

One thing I'd pick up on is when you say "I know I'm not "desired type of farang to be living in Thailand" at least if I go by the opinions of many on this board. I'm not retired or wealthy"... I'd suggest you're exactly the type of desired Farang where you're living, as proven by how much you get back from the local kids/people there.

In the middle of making the move to Thailand myself so am off to read your original thread, you certainly seem to have hit the ground running following it so I'm sure I can learn a lot ???? 

All the best wishes for your future endeavours, Oh and fabulous pictures... I think you could have a career as a photographer if you ever do hang up the gloves. 

I appreciate the kind words. If I can be of any help when you arrive be sure to let me know 

15 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I was worried I'd feel old when I finally fought again but I've steam rolled my last 4 opponents pretty easily. My hardest fight was actually a Khmer guy early 20s. The Cambodians are catching up in boxing quick these days.

If I had a camera or half decent phone I'd take plenty more photos. Cheers. 

10 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

keep a low profile. whatever you do try to stay off of Facebook. 

Good advice here.

Guy seems to be doing good stuff.

I have and will never have FB.  

I think it is stupid unless you are a teenager.

Posting myself drinking a cup of coffee trying to get likes just seems dumb. 

Don't have Line either.  

Another topic I guess.

I am appreciative of all your kind words and insight. 

Don't get it twisted though, I'm just one guy with limited means and still learning many life lessons by making mistakes. I don't have tomorrow sorted out let alone my entire life. 

I'm no Saint. Just a normal Nak Muay and expat who's been in love with this country since I first traveled here as a teenager. Just following my heart. These people need help, and as far as I can see nobody else is stepping up to help so I'll do my very best to continue to do so because at the end of the day they didn't ask for this. You shouldn't have to go through life in a way that your only major error is being born.

I don't like Phuket, and I've only been to Pattaya to fight (Thai boxing) maybe a dozen times. Not my scene. I like the north and the people in it. So here I'll stay. 

I'd like a farm, where I can build a school for children like this, I'd like to run my own boxing camp and I want a hammock with a nice view. That's it. 

1 hour ago, phil2407 said:

Good luck fella 

hope all goes well 

then a Thai posts it and you’re screwed 

this country needs people like-you as do so many other countries

Happy Xmas to you & family

plus to the kids you’re helping  

Cheers, thank you for that. 

I'm not so worried about getting into trouble. As I said before before my ajarn in boxing was a cop here for over 20 years and his brother is an immigration officer. He keeps a pretty good eye on me. Having his very own farang who's able to box as well as a Thai seems to be his pet project. Although his wife works far too hard at fattening me up when I go over for dinner. 

I've got strong relationships here, and I've been fortunate to flourish so far in many aspects. 

He's been a great friend so far. A letter from him and and a second letter from my girlfriend got me through swampy Airport with no return ticket and only 2000 baht on my person. (had my things stolen during a border run) 

Immigration asked me for for the ticket and then when I couldn't show it they asked for the money. I was being turned around until they read the letter and called him. 5 minutes later I was stamped in and on my way. I think the majority of the cops here know he trains me because I sure get offered rides a lot by them to wherever I happen to be walking to. 

1 hour ago, phil2407 said:

Good luck fella 

hope all goes well 

then a Thai posts it and you’re screwed 

this country needs people like-you as do so many other countries

Happy Xmas to you & family

plus to the kids you’re helping  

And if I'm speaking honestly, the only spot I've ever encountered problems is phuket which I avoid like the plague. 

I don't know if it's the way I carry myself, the area I live in or blind luck. But I'm always treated very well especially here in Tak. I read all the horror stories online and I can't think of a time any of those things have almost happened to me. Granted I'm a Nak Muay which Thai boxing tattoos done at some pretty prestigious Wats so I'm sure most Thais assume I'm as broke as they are lol. 

I encounter far more problems with Burmese men than anyone else around here. They have a different mentality all together. 

Would sure love to watch you box sometime, maybe ThaiVisa could organise a sponsored fight with all proceeds going to your local projects... 

TV Mods??? Would be good advertising so maybe some of your ad sponsors would get involved, obviously the OP can't arrange it without bringing problems on himself, but am sure you guys could easily do it... 

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

Would sure love to watch you box sometime, maybe ThaiVisa could organise a sponsored fight with all proceeds going to your local projects... 

TV Mods??? Would be good advertising so maybe some of your ad sponsors would get involved, obviously the OP can't arrange it without bringing problems on himself, but am sure you guys could easily do it... 

Which part of Thailand are you moving to? I'll keep you posted on fight dates.

I'm on the mend the next 6 weeks but the goal is 20 fights next year. 

Cheers. 

1 hour ago, Nakmuay887 said:

Which part of Thailand are you moving to? I'll keep you posted on fight dates.

I'm on the mend the next 6 weeks but the goal is 20 fights next year. 

Cheers. 

Long story short, I'm moving to Bangkok, this has been an 18 month project while I've been finishing up work in Singapore, so I needed to stay close to the Airport (Been bussing in & out twice a month).

Once I'm fully moved I'm planning to go check out Udon Thani as my next stop...  But I am drawn to beaches so planning a few trips to the islands... I completely agree with your views on Phuket. my 1st trip to Thailand was to there & I visited a few more times until my next door neighbour (Tigerair Pilot) suggested I check out Krabi... haven't been back to Phuket since).

Last day was last Friday (6th) & I'm finalizing things to fully exit SG after the Chinese New Year  a) Because I want to to spend 1 last CNY with the good friends I've made here over 12 years & b) Because my Condo here is fully rent paid until 9th March ????

Please do post any fight dates, Also I would love to watch your young lad fight, he does look like a future champion, has that look in his eyes of a young Manny Pacquiao (Filipino Boxer, but I'm sure nobody needed to be told that!) about him.

14 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Long story short, I'm moving to Bangkok, this has been an 18 month project while I've been finishing up work in Singapore, so I needed to stay close to the Airport (Been bussing in & out twice a month).

Once I'm fully moved I'm planning to go check out Udon Thani as my next stop...  But I am drawn to beaches so planning a few trips to the islands... I completely agree with your views on Phuket. my 1st trip to Thailand was to there & I visited a few more times until my next door neighbour (Tigerair Pilot) suggested I check out Krabi... haven't been back to Phuket since).

Last day was last Friday (6th) & I'm finalizing things to fully exit SG after the Chinese New Year  a) Because I want to to spend 1 last CNY with the good friends I've made here over 12 years & b) Because my Condo here is fully rent paid until 9th March ????

Please do post any fight dates, Also I would love to watch your young lad fight, he does look like a future champion, has that look in his eyes of a young Manny Pacquiao (Filipino Boxer, but I'm sure nobody needed to be told that!) about him.

I'll shoot you a pm with my contact information. Would be great to stay in touch and always good to speak to people who understand and enjoy boxing haha

39 minutes ago, Nakmuay887 said:

I'll shoot you a pm with my contact information. Would be great to stay in touch and always good to speak to people who understand and enjoy boxing haha

Thanks... I'll be honest I know very little about boxing, My 1st knowledge of MP was when he fought Ricky (The hitman) Hatton & I was explaining to my Filipino mate how outmatched his guy was... Boy was I wrong... Funny enough I spent 8 years with a Filipina from Davao (Manny's home town), visited 4 times a year & got to know more a lot more about the guy (god) there

I'll try to dig out the video where you can see Ricky's head move an inch or 2 when Manny hit him... and hit him hard... 

And on that note, back to health insurance, doesn't matter how good you are, 1 slight lapse could see you taking a knock (& RH was on top of his game at the time, but MP clearly more talented)  so please take care to take care of yourself...  

Oh I personally thought Manny beat Mayweather but in the US money talks (Obviously biased here towards the guy)

Edit here's the MPvRH fight.. 

For those with ADHD skip to about 5:50 where Manny lands one & after than it's game over for Ricky (Very Brave guy, wouldn't stay down) 

Skip to approx 11:30 minutes in where Manny lands a right (He's a southpaw) & then a left (& Ricky hits the floor).

I'm a huge Ricky Hatton fan (as per my conversation with my Filipino mate) and this fight effectively ended his Career... But my Irish mates tell me he's doing well running a huge gym there, still on the Guiness, still eating the donuts (Apparently he's now known as Ricky "Donuts" Hatton, but I wouldn't say that to him ???? ) 

On 12/11/2019 at 3:10 PM, Nakmuay887 said:

That's why I said in the post I felt it was actually doing more harm than good. That was my first trip over to them. Very naive on my end. 

The hill tribes don't need the modern world other than maybe antibiotics and sewing kits. But you can slowly see it changing now as they want hard currency instead of just bartering amongst themselves. 

Now I bring clothing and medicine. 

The Karen children I teach are practicing English, learning how to box and learning how to read and write. Most already speak Thai, Burmese and  Karen and are very eager to learn English and French from me. 

The two young boys in the photos lived in a garbage dump near the border for over a year before this school found them. Dad was killed by Burmese soldiers. Their mom took off to Bangkok and never came back. Sad state of affairs for many of these children. 

The few hours of happiness I manage to bring them means everything to me 

Yes.  Beautiful feeling to give this way. Sorry.  Should have read your post more closely.  It seems we yearn for some of what they still have while they strive to be more like us. 

Josh.  I hope to do a road trip in January.  If appropriate send me email or LINE.   Thanks 

6 hours ago, Harveyg said:

Yes.  Beautiful feeling to give this way. Sorry.  Should have read your post more closely.  It seems we yearn for some of what they still have while they strive to be more like us. 

Josh.  I hope to do a road trip in January.  If appropriate send me email or LINE.   Thanks 

It's a very strange thing to witness and when you look forward at the younger generations I think their way of life will only be preserved because tourists want a lot of the crafts they make by hand. 

Would love to have you out in the future. I'll send you my information. 

This is something I'd like to turn into a near full time gig someday. A lot of the NGO groups here are run by buffoons who know nothing about the culture or way of life. Just a paid gig for them. It's definitely turned into my passion. 

4 hours ago, wavodavo said:

I agree mate keep up the good work but if I was you him  I   wouldnt let his  girl out of his site cause shes a 10 .

Off topic, but here you go lol. She's sitting next to me now as we are practicing my Thai. 

I did well. She's intelligent, traditional, beautiful, kind and most of all. She's my best friend. Also really enjoys watching me fight so that's a bonus. 

IMG_20191212_032642_411.jpg

IMG_20191212_032642_407.jpg

IMG_20191212_032642_455.jpg

IMG_20191212_032642_453.jpg

Archived