Army chief confirms Thanathorn registered for conscription but was not enlisted

webfact

Army chief confirms Thanathorn registered for conscription but was not enlisted

73287724_710245936045750_895399519703793

Army Commander-in-Chief General Apirat Kongsompong has confirmed that Future Forward party leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit went through conscription process, but was not enlisted because there were already sufficient volunteers to fill the conscription quota.

The army chief said that the report on social media, accusing Thanathorn of using a fake Sor Dor 9 paper to avoid conscription, was untrue and urged the media and the online community to exercise caution before spreading fake news.

In response to the erroneous report, Thanathorn claimed that he had gone to Prawet district office to draw conscription lots, and drew a lot which freed him from being enlisted.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/army-chief-confirms-thanathorn-registered-for-conscription-but-was-not-enlisted/

thaipbs.jpg

2 hours ago, YetAnother said:

now we have the army involved in the thanathorn persecution

Quite the opposite.  The army has exonerated him saying there was no fake document, and he wasn't conscripted strictly in accordance with the rules.

23 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Quite the opposite.  The army has exonerated him saying there was no fake document, and he wasn't conscripted strictly in accordance with the rules.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

In response to the erroneous report, Thanathorn claimed that he had gone to Prawet district office to draw conscription lots, and drew a lot which freed him from being enlisted.

two conflicting versions of the same issue?

As is typical, this is the kind of behavior we would expect from this Thai hero. He honored his obligations. He did not attempt to use his family wealth to get a deferment, or avoid service, like a coward we know who is a bit closer to home. Real men do what they need to do. Cowards flee at the slightest sign of danger. This man is the future of the nation. 

18 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Where's the conflict?

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Army Commander-in-Chief General Apirat Kongsompong has confirmed that Future Forward party leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit went through conscription process, but was not enlisted because there were already sufficient volunteers to fill the conscription quota.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Maybe we read & understand differently?

If Thanathorn drew a lot that freed him from enlisting then how can Apirat say he was not enlisted because of sufficient numbers, that makes Apirats statement invalid?

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Maybe we read & understand differently?

If Thanathorn drew a lot that freed him from enlisting then how can Apirat say he was not enlisted because of sufficient numbers, that makes Apirats statement invalid?

Your post to which I reacted itself reacted to a post by Oxx that said: "The army has exonerated him saying there was no fake document, and he wasn't conscripted strictly in accordance with the rules." So, despite the poor (ambiguous) syntax of the 2nd clause of that quote, there was NO conflict between that quote and your 2nd quote in the SAME post.

You are NOW quoting differently in a FURTHER post.

This is all just to pretend they are 'fair' to Thanathorn (on this matter) - when they kick him and his party out of politics for five years at a later point (possibly today). They will claim: 'We were scrupulously honest and fair'.

Yeah, right!

2 hours ago, Oxx said:

Thank you. I was scrolling down to see who would be the first to correct the early posts. You won the prize Oxx.

17 minutes ago, rhyddid said:

Practically being a Billionaire, it "may have" paid the way out and not be enlisted because the quota of conscript was already achieved.

His wealth had nothing to do with it.

For each district, there's a certain number of soldiers that needs to be procured.  If there are more volunteers than the quota for a given district, then there's no need for any conscripts.  If you're registered in such a district then, irrespective of your wealth, you won't be enlisted.

14 hours ago, YetAnother said:

now we have the army involved in the thanathorn persecution

@YetAnother I think you misunderstood. The Army is standing up for him not persecuting.  He was not enlisted because he didn't draw the 8 ball, metaphorically speaking. (same as me back in 1970. My draft number was 362 out of a possible 366).

10 hours ago, Eligius said:

This is all just to pretend they are 'fair' to Thanathorn (on this matter) - when they kick him and his party out of politics for five years at a later point (possibly today). They will claim: 'We were scrupulously honest and fair'.

Yeah, right!

On Thai news this evening his party  and MP's is now an ex-party ,beed outed from parliament ,you could see it coming from  the day after the GE .

RIP democracy in Thailand . 

1 hour ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

@YetAnother I think you misunderstood. The Army is standing up for him not persecuting.  He was not enlisted because he didn't draw the 8 ball, metaphorically speaking. (same as me back in 1970. My draft number was 362 out of a possible 366).

Right.

It seems the Army is trying to look impartial, while handing the dirty work to the EC.

Archived