Swedish Roxette singer Marie Fredriksson dies at 61

webfact

Swedish Roxette singer Marie Fredriksson dies at 61

2019-12-10T134926Z_1_LYNXMPEFB913W_RTROPTP_4_PEOPLE-FREDRIKSSON.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Marie Fredriksson of pop band Roxette sings during a concert at Fredriksskans in Kalmar, Sweden July 18, 2015. Suvad Mrkonjic/TT News Agency/via REUTERS

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Singer Marie Fredriksson of Swedish pop duo Roxette died on Monday at the age of 61 after having spent years battling cancer and the lingering effects of its treatment, her manager said.

Roxette produced several international hits including four U.S. number ones with "It Must Have Been Love", from the film "Pretty Woman", "The Look", "Listen to Your Heart" and "Joyride".

"It is with great sadness that we must announce that one of our biggest and most loved artists is gone," Fredriksson's manager said in a statement.

Roxette was formed in 1986 by Fredriksson and singer and song-writer Per Gessle. The group released its breakthrough album "Look Sharp" two years later.

"You painted my black and white songs in the most beautiful colours," Gessle said of the singer in Monday's statement.

Fredriksson was diagnosed with a brain tumour in 2002.

(Reporting by Helena Soderpalm)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-12-11

I read that she was diagnosed in 2002 so she gave it a good fight.

Being American, I don't know the lady . but 61 is way too young IMO and I am sorry to hear about her untimely demise, Being 62 news like that make me nervous.  

I was bullied in the 80's (probably by some Thai Visa Pink Floyd/Ramones fan) for listening to "commercial" music like Roxette, A-Ha, Europe, Duran Duran and many others.

She had a great voice. 

RIP

Roxette was very popular in 1990/1991 in Bangkok and when I hear their music from that period, it reminds me of walking around Khaosan and Thawet with my Look Sharp cassette blasting from my no brand Walkman. Such a gadget was very cool and exclusive in Bangkok in those days.

18 hours ago, sirineou said:

I read that she was diagnosed in 2002 so she gave it a good fight.

Being American, I don't know the lady . but 61 is way too young IMO and I am sorry to hear about her untimely demise, Being 62 news like that make me nervous.  

She had a brain tumor in 2002 which was successfully treated. Then she got breast cancer in 2016 from which she didn’t recover. 

Archived