Borehole water temperatur?

Tagged

Anyone measured the water temp coming out of their borehole? If so, what depth is the water coming from, and also where in the country. 

I have an idea to build a insulated building for the water tanks, and use that as coolant air to our bungalow if the temp is low enough? Anyone heard of something simular? Im thinking of two big tanks, tanked up during the afternoon, and should keep the airtemp quite low for 12 hours. 

18 minutes ago, djayz said:

Not sure if this is going to help you here or not, but what you describe made me think of geothermal energy. Pretty much the same concept. There's tons of info on the net. 

I read about, but that is a different concept of what I am thinking of. No water circularing only air from a insulated tank rom built next to our sleeping room in bungalow. The room is only 4 x 4 x 3,80, and there should not be necessery with dramatic huge air circularing system to keep a quite decent chilled airflow beetwen those two rooms. 

All depends on the groundwater temp? 

6 minutes ago, Tagged said:

We do not have electric from the net

I'd say your idea is impossible without electricity...you'd need it to pump ( a lot ) of tepid water into a big tank then blow the cool( er ish) air into the bedroom which will then be (maybe) 2 degrees cooler with nearly 100% humidity..after a few hours the water gets close to ambient temperature  you have to dump it all and start again...there are systems that use a split aircon like above that immerse the part labelled "aircon" in a  cool water tank to improve energy efficiency,you could combine the cooling tank with an inverter aircon that can also use less energy...then  a few solar panels,battery bank and (large ish) inverter should be able to run the aircon for a few hours each night...if I remember correctly my 9600 BTU non inverter aircon  pulls about 3.6 Amps with the compressor running and much less with just the fan going.. ( nameplate says  3.88 amps and 810.7 watts )

@johng

I will have diesel generator, and the tank size about daily usage of water amount, 7-10 m3

Anyway, if water temp is as high as 20c there is no hope.

and will invest in a decent quiet diesel generator instead of spending 100k on a insulated storage house ????

just an idea

10 minutes ago, johng said:

You could put a cheaper noisy generator in the (sound) insulated storage house ????

You are absolutely right ,-) but what is cheep actually? 

Buy one double price with inverter, autostart etc, or one cheep <deleted> that brakes down and have half life? 

Im sure I will build a pump house for the generator and a couple of salas for the water stations. Time will show 

I think the most efficient system would be water cooled air conditioner. The issue is that depending on the borehole volume and circulation the water might heat and the system will stop working. 

Here is some more experimental but still interesting system:

2 hours ago, son_of_erko said:

we have a bore that's 180 metres deep with the pump sitting at 90 metres and the water temp is room temp.

That will say about 19 - 20 c? Right? If you could circulate that, it would be ok as coolant radiators, but ideal would be a tank with 7500 liters fresh water pumped from the well at 12 c, that would use 12 hours to reach outside temp, then you could use a small fan circulating air between the two rooms. 

2 hours ago, son_of_erko said:
  5 hours ago, johng said:

use one of these instead ????

We do not have electric from the net ???? 

solar power is the easy answer to that problem, ????

I am not in to invest in solar power at the moment. In 5 years we will se alot better solutions to alot better prices, and hopefully on grid as well, so we can sell what we do not use. 

47 minutes ago, Tagged said:

That will say about 19 - 20 c? Right? If you could circulate that, it would be ok as coolant radiators, but ideal would be a tank with 7500 liters fresh water pumped from the well at 12 c, that would use 12 hours to reach outside temp, then you could use a small fan circulating air between the two rooms. 

Things to consider

7 1/2 cubic metres, theres no way you will get a bore hole with a big enough radius and depth combination to hold that amount of water in the pipe,  to find the volume of a cylinder you multiply radius x height  so to hold that amount of water in the bore you would need a pipe approximately 26 cm in diameter with a depth of 140 metres of water in the pipe, then you have refresh rates to consider etc etc... the last time i looked the cost of a 15 cm (6 inch) bore was approximately 2500 per metre to get anything bigger than that you'll be talking super bucks...

so if you are pumping it to a surface storage tank you have the same issues with insulating the tank as it will heat up very quickly, 

solar isn't as expensive as it used to be if i was you i'd look around you can get solar powered AC units now for relatively small investment.

* maybe look into evaporation cooled AC rather than pumping the water around, greenhouses use that as a form of cooling systems

8 hours ago, son_of_erko said:

solar isn't as expensive as it used to be if i was you i'd look around you can get solar powered AC units now for relatively small investment.

* maybe look into evaporation cooled AC rather than pumping the water around, greenhouses use that as a form of cooling systems

Solar is not on the list for a few years, and evaporation cooling is better suited in dry clima, so we are back to invest in poles and lines to get connected to the grid, or just buy a diesel generator, and AC. 

27 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Solar is not on the list for a few years, and evaporation cooling is better suited in dry clima, so we are back to invest in poles and lines to get connected to the grid, or just buy a diesel generator, and AC. 

How far away is the last power pole?

11 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

How far away is the last power pole?

200 meter, and across someone elses land. Looked at the solution a neighbour on the other side of the road had used with cement fundament, iron poles, and stretces of grid lines. Quick calcutlation, about one week work, 12 - 15 poles, cable stretces, and still need for back up solution.

9 hours ago, Tagged said:

Not sure what you mean? 

Use one of the insulated ice boxes used in shops etc. Fit a venturi tube through the bottom. A couple of bags of ice in the box and a fan on one end of the venturi and turn it on. 

You could look at indirect evap systems. I remember seeing a system, US I think where the input air was split such that half picked up moisture to produce the chill for the other half which was sent inside the room. The wet air exhausted and the chilled air remained at ambient saturation. The only energy needed was to power the fan so it runs on about 20% of an evap system.

Just now, Thian said:

Nobody has measured the temperature of the water

Exactly right. For me the different to ambient is always too small to see as a temperature gradient capable of cooling anything. At best 10 degrees. If you have a bum gun feed with water piped above ground and choose to use it near a western wall in the afternoon you will burn your a@@e.

23 minutes ago, IsaanAussie said:

Exactly right. For me the different to ambient is always too small to see as a temperature gradient capable of cooling anything. At best 10 degrees. If you have a bum gun feed with water piped above ground and choose to use it near a western wall in the afternoon you will burn your a@@e.

Well my shower and bumgun go under the house to the watertank which i insulated...the first 10 seconds of water are cold...so it's colder under my house.

And i bet that 180 meters deep it's even more cold...but i haven't tested it.

Absolutely got me completely, Ozzie and blue pipes on a western wall. But the OP here is looking to produce a cooling effect from ground water, ie. A/C in his bedroom. I have 4000 litres stored in a loft which is filled from a bore. Its about 3 to 4 days of usage so is at or a little below ambient since it is in an airflow and under roof. The age old principal, pump water once, so up into the tanks then gravity feed. I have first hand experience but a "simple" heat transfer system like this indirect evap one I talked about makes sense. 

Excuse my failing memory but these guys removed 100 degrees F in about a foot of mass transfer (paper) device. No chemicals or other stuff just a fan and a cleverly designed heat exchange block.

On 12/11/2019 at 10:43 PM, son_of_erko said:

you can get solar powered AC units now for relatively small investment.

Not much sun at night when he wants his cool sleep. ????

But seriously, I recently heard about solar-powered ice makers that make an ice bank during the day. Then at night the ice bank is used to produce cool air. 

Archived