BANGKOK
webfact

Tourism downturn: Bridge between Koh Samui and mainland could bring in more tourists

PLEASE. They are still contemplating a tunnel from Phuket to Patong. now 30 years on ?????

• Like 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

They said that the tourism situation on Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao was dire. A bridge to the main island might help with visits to the other islands.

It's going to take a lot more than a bridge to fix the tourism woes.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ginger Tea said:

You’re safe so long as you don’t have an attractive young farang female with you; and, if you’re on your own, you mind your own business.

I think that is not the reason he won’t go there ...this is a question of integrity.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pikao said:

Last time I've heard of it was some years ago. Interesting for me was, that one of the reasons for building a bridge was that Samui would lose a certain status as an "island" which would allow to raise much higher buildings (like Phuket).

This could be the ultimate deathblow to a once wonderful island.

"Tourism downturn"

Yesterday I sat at Songserm Ferry pier on Koh Phangan. (Today is Full Moon Party and, as usual, many people are expected to arrive). About 10 minutes before the ferry from Koh Tao was due, came the motorbike taxis (7-10) and 5 Songteaws waiting for customers. Off the boat came 2 ....no joke... two tourists.

The taxi drivers had to laugh out of disbelief. But it was more of a hysterical and desperate kind of laughter.

Many Thai and foreign buisiness owners here started (around June/July) to switch off aircons in shops and had to fire staff in order to survive. I'm sure there will be more of a "downturn" in the near future.....because of many reasons

I spoke with a business woman while on the ferry last winter, from phanghan , she had 3 restaurants, down to 1 at the moment. 

Huge downturn.she said Thailand is not a place to do business anymore.

On 12/11/2019 at 8:10 AM, webfact said:

Data from 2018 showed there were 2,651,500 visits to Samui that made up 43% of all visitors to Surat Thani.

Another stupid idea that costs only a lot of money, who should pay them?

On 12/11/2019 at 8:10 AM, webfact said:

Data from 2018 showed there were 2,651,500 visits to Samui that made up 43% of all visitors to Surat Thani.

Where do you get your numbers from?
According to these numbers there would be more than 7.264 people a day ... it really seems to me that all arrivals are counted twice!

On 12/11/2019 at 8:35 AM, neeray said:

I'm certainly not a contractor but I am aware of the cost of mega projects around the world.

30 billion baht (almost a billion US dollars) sounds a bit on the low side to me.

But OMG, what a skimming opportunity this would present. The mouths of the hogs must be salivating.

Given they've been pratting about with the ring road for a dozen or more years & it's nowhere near finished yet how long will this bridge take?

Edited by evadgib

On 12/11/2019 at 9:07 AM, PoorSucker said:

This pop up every five years, here's an idea picture better than the one in the article. 

209213281_Samuibridgetunnel.jpg.1a38dfb493f04f7f60a85ebab4becbd3.jpg

Why not stick a high speed rail link down the middle whilst they're about it!

Pie in the sky ~ a million and one things better to do with 30 billion - starting with proper planning, and the provision of adequate basic infrastructure.

• Like 1

If they want more tourists, relax the immigration regulations and get the baht under control, don't spend billions on a bridge to nowhere.

18 hours ago, Grandpa Cool said:

40 years ago Samui was a magical,beautiful, isolated tropical paradise. Short term greed has killed the magic and now the plan is to take away even it's status as an island! The lunatics are running the asylum!

Yep, I had the pleasure of staying in Samui 1989-1991 it was near to paradise! But the Bangkok air monopoly and the arrival of McD signalled the beginning of the downfall, - shame :sad:

• Like 1