Obtaining a 2 Year Temp License, completed last week

jimmyyy

DLT office used was Maha Sarahkam, my USA license was expired so I had to go through the whole process as a new driver.

Documents required

1.  Passport along with copies of current extension of stay along with copy of the front photo page.

2.  Physical, an actual 5 minute physical at the local hospital in Kud Rang.  They did blood pressure, checked my chest, feet and hands along with asking me about 20 questions.  I was in and out in an hour.  I think it was 50 baht.  Its a public hospital near to where we live. 

3.  Resident certificate, went to Sarahkam Immigration, super easy to get took about 20 minutes. Paid 500 baht, for what i still don't know.  

4.  Completed the form for the drivers license, along with providing them a phone number. 

Next step had to wait 30 days as there was a waiting list to do the 5 hour class.

1st day at Department of Land Transport. 

1.  Started at 0930, we all sat in a class room, where we were shown a video with English subtitles.  You should pay attention, most of this is on the test. 

2.  1130 lunch, there was a food hall outside and for 100 baht you can feast like a issaan king.

3.  1230 more video, lasts until 3 PM.  Told to come back at 9AM next day for written testing. 

2nd day

1.  Took test, scored a 44/50 failed.  I noticed a bunch of stuff on the test was not covered in what i was studying.  

2.  Took it again at 1PM, 43/50, failed again.  Wife passed this time. 

3rd day. 

1.  0900 passed test with 49/50. 

2.  1PM driving practical exam. 

a few steps

1.  Drive straight through cones and then back up in a straight line.

2.  Drive straight, then park at the stop sign, your left tires must be within 25 cm of the curb.  They made it easy, painted a red line where the tires had to be.

3.  Parallel park

Once all this was done, i paid 205 baht and was issued a 2 year temporary drivers license.  I did the car only, as i don't use the motorbike. 

Helpful study guides are attached.  I located these after my two test failures.

A few things to know for sure. 

1.  1.6mm tire tread is required by law, any less you need to change the tire. 

2.  Know all the road signs, alot of the questions are on the road signs.

3.  Know the penalties for drunk driving.

4.  Loads on a large truck are not allowed to go over the sides, either side.      

5.  24 KPH, is the max you can drive when towing a vehicle.

6.  5 Meters is the max for a tow rope.

7.  Section of the BE 2522 for weight is 113

8. Section of the BE 2522 for speed is 112

9.  Know all the speed limits, for national highway, provincial roads, etc. Also max speed in bangkok and pattaya

10.  Know the max speed for motorbike anywhere is 50KPH

11.  Max speed for a goods carrying truck in bangkok

12.  Know speed limits for tuk tuks and tri bikes

13.  You can apply for a non gear motor bike at 16, everything else is 18 for a car and motorbike, unless carrying commercial goods or passengers then its 20 years old

14.  vehicles going uphill have the right of way.

Those were all on the tests.  There are 50 questions you need to get 45 right in order to pass. 

All in all, i was surprised that about 80% of the class failed the first test, with 50% failing the second round, i am not sure how many failed the 3rd as i was the first out the door.  The driving test was about 50% failure. 

This is from last week, i hope this helps someone. 

• Like 1

I don't want to do this test again. Is my information correct that you only have to repeat it if your license expired a year ago (you didn't renew it). But within one year there is no need to repeat the test it if you renew your expired license. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cornishcarlos said:

Luckily the police never enforce any laws on the road then, otherwise we'd not get anywhere at those speeds ????????

Seems to be a wide difference between the "law" and what gets tolerated.  Max speed of a truck carrying goods in Bangkok 45 KPH.  Another test question.

• Like 1

the thai driving info web site is out of date, don't trust the answers on that web site, or you can be like me and take the test three times, 5555555.  If your bed buddy is taking the test, DLT has a great app and if they study it all the questions are on that app.  If anyone wants a link to it, i will grab it from the wife, just let me know.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jimmyyy said:

Another test question, you have 30 days after expiration to renew your license or you are a new driver and will be treated as such.                                        

I had been told to renew the temporary license (2 years) before it expired. The 5-years license you can renew up to 1 year after the expiry date.

• Like 1

I mistakenly ( wasn’t required )was told to watch a 20 minute video. The story line was a man laying on the wood tables used

For eating and dreaming...  and I’m not kidding he was dreaming 

about the Drivers License Tree.. Gues it’s similar to the Money Tree.

i was <deleted> explains some of the less than good drivers...

On 12/13/2019 at 11:52 AM, brianthainess said:

Please explain 7 & 8, and why signs on highways 90 for cars and M/C

i don't need to explain anything, just telling you what you need to say to pass the test.  Mark what you will, i have given the correct answer.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/11/2019 at 8:59 AM, jimmyyy said:

the thai driving info web site is out of date, don't trust the answers on that web site, or you can be like me and take the test three times, 5555555.  If your bed buddy is taking the test, DLT has a great app and if they study it all the questions are on that app.  If anyone wants a link to it, i will grab it from the wife, just let me know.

PM sent to you...

the thai driving info web site is out of date

That's alarming.

Can you sent me PM about the app that you mention?

I tried to find any update on the web to no avail.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I’m letting you know. I’d like the link to the app.

• 4 weeks later...

If your bed buddy is taking the test, DLT has a great app and if they study it all the questions are on that app.  If anyone wants a link to it, i will grab it from the wife, just let me know.

Just wondering if you have the link. 

4 hours ago, Ramen087 said:

Just wondering if you have the link. 

Don't know whether it is this?:

It has the very inventive title "DriverLicense" :dry:, so basically impossible to find with that in Play Store.

If one searches for it in Thai language:

สอบใบขับขี่ TomatoGood

you will come up with this Android App:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tomatogood.driver&hl=th

dltestapp.jpg

You can also look through the list of all apps from "TomatoGood":

https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=TomatoGood&hl=en

I had installed the app mentioned above some time ago.

Just clicked around and see that there is also some short videos describing procedures for the practical driving test (reverse parking etc.).

Just seen that there seems to be an updated 2020 version:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tomatogood.driver2020&hl=en

Edited by KhunBENQ