Notary in Nimman

AAArdvark

Depends on what you mean when you say notarised (who it is ultimately for). 

If you need something notarized to an international standard, you have to go to your embassy or consulate, no Thai lawyer can correctly notarize a document as Thailand is not a signatory to the international notary public act, and hence its lawyers cannot perform that function. Thai lawyers know this, but have made thier own 'thai notary' system which is as legit as a Thai rolex. Using this service can result in losing a court case, having a document declared invalid, and all manner of things with large repercussions, shady lawyers will still lie to you and assure you its fine, all for the 500b fee !!! 

If all you need is a true copy or certified copy standard that is easy and can be done by lawyers (police and many others). 

For opening a bank account in the United States, I need a notarized copy of my condo lease.  I checked with the US Consulate and they will not do it.  I'm not concerned about a court case.  The bank wants proof of my residence and I guess they don't want me to fake it.  So probably anything that looks official will work.  I submitted it un-notarized and will see if they will take it.  The Bank is the State Department Federal Credit Union who must be very familiar with procedures in other countries.

From the US Consulate:

"

Thank you for writing the U.S. consulate general in Chiang Mai. Our office can certify only the documents that are issued by the Department of State. As the lease agreement was not issued by the Department, we cannot certify that the information is correct, not can we put the consulate’s certification stamp on it.

The only service we can provide in this situation is the notarization of your own sworn statement on a blank affidavit. You can download the form from our website here: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/affidavit/. If you believe that this document will suit your purpose, please schedule an appointment before you visit the consulate in person.

Please be informed that, unfortunately, the consular officer will not be able to notarize a statement that contain an individual person’s income statement or any statement related to financial status."

2 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

For opening a bank account in the United States, I need a notarized copy of my condo lease.  I checked with the US Consulate and they will not do it.  I'm not concerned about a court case.  The bank wants proof of my residence and I guess they don't want me to fake it.  So probably anything that looks official will work.  I submitted it un-notarized and will see if they will take it.  The Bank is the State Department Federal Credit Union who must be very familiar with procedures in other countries.

For true copy / certified documents I use star visa.. fast efficient etc.. 

If the bank knows about the notary issues or not no one can predict. I have been denied by the US revenue service and a offshore banking setup, both due to not accepting Thai notarization. 

16 hours ago, kilt said:

Have you tried www.notarize.com ?

I am aware of them but I would only use them as a last resort.  The problem is that I live in Thailand and I have a Thai (in English) document.  I think that it would be a bit suspicious with a US notary stamp.

On 12/11/2019 at 1:31 PM, LivinLOS said:

For true copy / certified documents I use star visa.. fast efficient etc.. 

If the bank knows about the notary issues or not no one can predict. I have been denied by the US revenue service and a offshore banking setup, both due to not accepting Thai notarization. 

I know someone that needed a notary to collect an inheritance in California..and he used them, and it worked.  It is kind of a grey area, surprisingly.

Its not a grey area at all really.. However Thai lawyers lie, all for a 500b copy fee, and people in other countries have no idea that Thai legal professionals would lie so readily. 

You cant really expect every person worldwide to have a deep technical understanding of the actual law and legal rights from every source in the world. Its fine to 'risk it' on a non critical thing, very unwise to do so for something like a court case or other critical process. 

Them not being a member of the Apostille Treaty or whatever it is called makes it grey.  I recall the farang telling me he paid them 1000 to do their version of a notorization for him to collect his inheritance in California.  The schools want a notarized diploma...but very few understand the University President is a public notary at most government schools in the US, so it is notarized already.  Then, the Apostille thing, which varies by State, and LOS is not a member of, but may even require it.  And China would want legalization.

Archived