Thais making life easier for Chinese tourists: Multiple Visas and online help starting imminently

webfact

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How does multiple visa help? 

How many Chinese tourists return for a second visit within a year?

The most constructive thing Thai Immigration should consider is having the Chinese visitors clear Thai immigration at the Chinese airport of departure.

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

There are numerous negative issues affecting the tourism industry in Thailand, very few of which are ever addressed. Rather than focus on things which will bring tourists back in numbers across the board, this smacks of a desperate attempt by TAT to get an increase in numbers, rather than focusing on improving the experience for those that do come.

Fatal flaw yes 

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

There are numerous negative issues affecting the tourism industry in Thailand, very few of which are ever addressed. Rather than focus on things which will bring tourists back in numbers across the board, this smacks of a desperate attempt by TAT to get an increase in numbers, rather than focusing on improving the experience for those that do come.

Of course. That way they don't have to actually do anything. Would you expect anything else? I like the idea of relieving the immigration desks of the usual masses of Chinese, though. The other desks will have no queue as not many others come to Thailand these days. Indians, that's it. Let's add them to the evisa scheme, and not only for January.

28 minutes ago, Derek B said:

How does multiple visa help? 

How many Chinese tourists return for a second visit within a year?

The most constructive thing Thai Immigration should consider is having the Chinese visitors clear Thai immigration at the Chinese airport of departure.

How would that help Thailand? Although I recall USA-bound passengers would be cleared by US immigration officers in the UK, so it has been done. Or that was the plan - I haven't been to the US since 2002 after I was dismayed at the amount of brainwashing going on after 9/11 the year before. It was overwhelming, on tv every night.

yeah that makes sense.. lets add the 50% of our tourists who don't need an e-visa onto a system that some are reporting takes FIVE days to complete an application

it's like russian roulette for tourist arrival numbers

don't forget to upload your financial statements too chinese :cheesy:

So what about the rest of us, what about the Taiwanese - whom Thailand doesn't seem to care about, and what about the damaging effects of overtourism? Personally, I try to go anywhere the hordes of Chinese people aren't. They may be good for an economy, but terrible for culture and society.

1 hour ago, Becker said:

The West does not have "perennial economic and financial crisis". The West consists of developed economies that can never achieve the growth rate of developing economies.

Look at China. It started it's meteoric economic development adopting the capitalist principles the West's economic systems are built on. As it catches up to the West the growth rate slows down and in the will be more or less equal to that of the West.

As for the "because it is stubborn with the nihilistic and materialistic ideology of Neoliberalism" mumbo jumbo it's hard to figure out what it even means. Suffice to say that all countries who have achieved/are achieving rapid economic growth have done so using the West's capitalist principles.

Exactly!! Very well put. It wasn't until the dude after Mao opened China up to market reforms that China started to develop. Basic economics. China is playing the same game as the rest of the world, only with a a greater degree of government intervention into every sphere of life. Politically, they might call themselves communist, but economically, they are closer to an open market/capitalist model. Karl Marx would be disgusted because the working class remains the working class with little rights to form unions or such against the proletariat. Anyway, I like your point and glad to see I'm not the only one who shares your sentiment. Thinking China uses a totally different, new economic model, I think is naive

4 hours ago, zhounan said:

We need to open our eyes, the world is changing, just as the world economic centre is shifting from west to east. In a West in perennial economic and financial crisis, because it is stubborn with the nihilistic and materialistic ideology of Neoliberalism, it is committing suicide with its own hands. While in the East there is a lot of money circulating, especially in China. So it's no wonder that everyone is trying to get this slice of the cake. When they get the money in Burundi, I bet everyone will start studying the language of Burundi and open markets with that country and we'll go and kiss the ass of local politicians. 

American capitalists are used to say Business is business. So, now, Chinese people have money, all pull down their pants. It's more logic and simple than you think. 

Thanks for that Mr Marx.

5 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Just so I'm clear, this weeks knee-jerk plan has reverted back to quantity of tourist rather than quality of tourist ?

And still no clarity as the the actual contribution per tourist head?

Suppose 1 million Chinese at say 1000 baht a day x 7 days average stay. 

Including hotel deals. 

Visa free.

Or 100,000 Indian tourists at say 1000 baht a day x 7 days average stay.

Several to a room. 

Visa free.

Or,

the farang who stays here and take a thai partner, support her family and friends, building a new home,  contributing to the immigration bill with visas and renewals. 

In my opinion the contribution is Priceless....

But TAT will never see it that way...

Great! Make it easier for the Chinese who could not care less about their destructive abuse of Thailand. They create a path of waste and trash everywhere the go. They leave mountains of uneaten and wasted food at buffets. They jam the roads with controlled tour buses. They block streets with controlled herds of people. They are paraded thru and disrupt tourist areas without buying anything.

What about making it easier the retired foreigners that care and live in Thailand and spend a lot of money? Stupid insurance requirements now but not for the Chinese who might get sick or have an accident then run away without paying.

56 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

And still no clarity as the the actual contribution per tourist head?

Was that a point relevant to the OP? But already clarified here, with figures rather different from those you imagine: 

Your post also reflects the usual confusion between expenditure and total revenue generated. 

But TAT will never see it that way...

Well, no. It's just a matter of facing reality.  

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

How would that help Thailand? Although I recall USA-bound passengers would be cleared by US immigration officers in the UK, so it has been done. Or that was the plan - I haven't been to the US since 2002 after I was dismayed at the amount of brainwashing going on after 9/11 the year before. It was overwhelming, on tv every night.

Only Shannon and Dublin do this in Europe as far as I'm aware. Yes there was a plan by the US to extend it to other European cities but it never went forward. 

Archived