Bikes No Green Book ?

mercman24

another this morning, no log book (thats 4,now) what is it with thais and no green book, seems i can get a bike i am after for about 50/55000, but with a green book the price is 90/10000, so a green book is double the price of the bike.. <deleted>

7 hours ago, mercman24 said:

another this morning, no log book (thats 4,now) what is it with thais and no green book, seems i can get a bike i am after for about 50/55000, but with a green book the price is 90/10000, so a green book is double the price of the bike.. <deleted>

Not many people are interested in buying a potentially stolen vehicle

THE SAGA CONTINUES 3 more bikes today, with no green book, one was a nice bike wanted 75000 for it, looking for a Honda Steed or a Yamaha Virago, it must be Thais buying these bikes surely. maybe a thai would get away with it, but not us farangs ha ha, like my police stop a month ago, thai bird behind me no tax no helmet, i said what about her then (i was legit) she said something in thai, pulled out of the line of waiting bikes and went on her merry way, mai pen rai , oh and i had a virago with a 400 XJ motor in it ,i posted to him a virago is a V twin, but hey ho not a bad looking bike and 4 pots and 5 more horses

still searching (that could be a song) question for my learned friends (bak wan) looking soon at an older HONDA NV 400, looks like the same motor in the Honda Steed, needs a few bits and pieces, to my liking that is, if i do buy it, can someone confirm, and next question i will be in the market for some straight bars, my easy rider days are over, (cowhorns) so dig out ya garages ok. and loads more today with no green book its getting bloody boring now

On a similar topic:

Many of the bikers here will have built bikes from parts in their home country, totally legitimately. I built a ZX9 out of parts in the UK 19 years ago. To register the bike I had to have a visit from the local police's stolen vehicle squad who checked the frame and engine numbers and the receipts I had for some of the parts I had used + checked those parts I was using for identification markers. Once they were satisfied that everything was legitimate, they instructed the registration authority to issue a registration document using the registration number originally allocated to the frame. Reading some of the replies here it would seem that this cannot be done (legally) in Thailand - is that correct?

Along similar lines, a couple of years back a (farang) car importer in Thailand told me that the cost of registering (not the taxes) an imported car in Thailand had gone up to 100,000 baht so in most cases, it simply wasn't worth it.  If a car/bike can be registered in Thailand as I did in the UK (above), does anyone know if that figure is correct or what the cost is for a bike?  If it is, that cost alone would prevent anyone sane from going ahead.

answer to a previous poster, well someone is buying these bikes, as said its got to be thais, just had another, reply was  *has no number plate* and a good looking bike,60,000,  even one in Chang Mai 85,000 no green book  well ?? us poor old farangs would get the book thrown at us. blacklisted and deported, lol

15 hours ago, johng said:

Maybe ask   in this thread 

Thanks for that but I should clarify - although I was talking about what an importer had told me, my questions are not about imports - they are about registering a bike built from parts. What I was actually wanting to know is:

a). Is it possible to register a bike built from parts?

b). If so, what is the cost of registration and would any taxes be due.

No taxes were applied to the bike I built in the UK as it was re-allocated its original registration number on which any taxes due would have been paid. Just trying to find out the position in Thailand. I would guess that anyone building a bike from parts would probably use the registration document from the frame if it was available but I was told that if the yearly registration fee has not been paid for x number of years, the registration is lost. Surely there must be some way of re-instating it?

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

So when buying a bike not only is the green book essential but 2 keys, not 1

It's no problem to copy a key, at least the small bikes don't use transponders (if it's a regular key, i don't how difficult it would be to get another "keyless" key)

36 minutes ago, jackdd said:

It's no problem to copy a key, at least the small bikes don't use transponders (if it's a regular key, i don't how difficult it would be to get another "keyless" key)

Are you sure proper copies are easy? I recall to claim on insurance you have to provide 2 keys

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Are you sure proper copies are easy? I recall to claim on insurance you have to provide 2 keys

I had a small Kawasaki bike which had only one key, i went to the next Kawasaki dealer and they sold me an original Kawasaki blank key for 100 something baht, then i had the original key copied to this blank at a shop which makes keys.

Looked like an original spare key. Maybe if you would inspect it very closely you can notice a difference between a factory cut key and a copied key, but this is nothing the average buyer would notice.

I guess it's also possible to get blank keys from the other manufacturers.

the mind boggles popped out to clean the bike, had a mooch round the bike park, out of about 20 bikes,  8 yes 8 had no tax disc, or 2 years out of date, one motorbike and sidecar had a 55 sticker on it, another one today, *i have copy of log book (copy)? you can tax insure. also id of previous owner,(so you are NOT the owner) this question gets them,, has bike got road tax, answer, NO,  not for 2 years but you can pay back tax, (yeah right)  GOODBYE

On 12/20/2019 at 3:40 PM, mercman24 said:

the mind boggles popped out to clean the bike, had a mooch round the bike park, out of about 20 bikes,  8 yes 8 had no tax disc, or 2 years out of date, one motorbike and sidecar had a 55 sticker on it, another one today, *i have copy of log book (copy)? you can tax insure. also id of previous owner,(so you are NOT the owner) this question gets them,, has bike got road tax, answer, NO,  not for 2 years but you can pay back tax, (yeah right)  GOODBYE

Quite normal in Thailand if you can't deal with it don't buy it as you say but I got a good deal in the end although my Mrs bless her did most of the work in a breeze to get the bike on our home address and s new green book,  new number province plate after the bike being off the road for 6.1/2 years.

well a Honda Steed showed up at my condo in the back of a truck, to say it had ben neglected was an understatement, ok , i dont mind a bit of work, it had a moth eaten green book, when i asked about road tax, *oh it no have road tax for 4 years* just about summed up the owner so i would have to pay 5 years tax before we started. that was enough for me. my . friendly thai interpretor, said she did no like him, (shifty) was her words, then he tried to do a deal. but by then  it was ,  NO DEAL as they say.

18 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Which aren't legal? ones with leopard skin seats?

They can be legal if ( as far as I know) the bike and sidecar are registered at the Department of Land transportation

( so in the green book)  as a motorcycle with sidecar pair from new..you can't add a sidecar to an already registered bike.

The leopard skin seat is especially apt for Pattaya where the photo was taken ????

Archived