Markro beef mince

SteveK

Hi, I made an interesting discovery today. I bought 1 kilo frozen grain fed beef mince from Makro for 255 baht and today cooked it up to make a cottage pie. After it was browned, I put it through a sieve and about a pint of water and grease came out, I was shocked. Out of interest I thought I would weigh it - it weighed 530 grams!

47% water and grease! Incredible.

Yes, ground beef or any ground meat for that fact is always questionable. It does not surprise me to hear that. Some companies also add bread to the give the meat more weight on the cheap.

Also, Beef steaks that weren't able to be sold before the "best by" date also get turned into ground beef. Throw the old beef through the grinder and some ice cubes and you get some good looking bright red minced beef ( I worked in a butcher shop many many years ago ). Since then ( and the stories that continuously pop up over the years ) I don't buy ground meat anymore unless I know I can trust the source.

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I believe they put ice in it when they mince it,so you

are paying a premium for water.

The Pro Butcher mince does not seem to have a lot of water

in it,but they do mince it very finely.

regards worgeordie

Healthy beef mince from Rimping perfect, opposite need to add for cottage pie or too dry.

No need for conspiracy theories of added water or ice.  Muscle is about 75% water.  When you cook it, water comes out.  When it's finely divided (as in mince) more water comes out than when you cook, say, a joint.

Given that mince in Thailand is typically transported frozen, the freezing breaks the cell membranes making the water come out more quickly than non-frozen mince.

Nothing to write home about here.

It's the same for frozen fish from Makro, it's 50% or more water that you get.

I don't buy any meat there though...the smell of their butchery keeps me away. And the folks grabbing raw meat with bare hands also isn't what i like to see.

Beef way to expensive anyway. Thais are not into beef much prefering pork so I just go with the flow and use that with an oxo cube.

Interestingly , when I took the wife to the UK last year and she wanted to buy some ground pork Sainsburys didn't have any ???

Plenty of ground beef but no pork mince.

43 minutes ago, Denim said:

Interestingly , when I took the wife to the UK last year and she wanted to buy some ground pork Sainsburys didn't have any ???

Plenty of ground beef but no pork mince.

And I bet the beef was halal.  Welcome to the Islamic Republic of the UK.

I bought a grinder with a sausage stuffer attachment from Lazada and grind all of my own meat.  I buy boneless sirloin, 220 baht/kilo, from the local vendor and trim all of the :grizzle" out and grind it myself, usually twice,  I make a sausage with 1/2 pork, 1/2 shrimp, beechwood smoke flavr carrots and other seasoning and use the stuffer attachment to make sausages using natural skins that I order on line from B.O.T. Thailand.

8 hours ago, wayned said:

I bought a grinder with a sausage stuffer attachment from Lazada and grind all of my own meat.  I buy boneless sirloin, 220 baht/kilo, from the local vendor and trim all of the :grizzle" out and grind it myself, usually twice,  I make a sausage with 1/2 pork, 1/2 shrimp, beechwood smoke flavr carrots and other seasoning and use the stuffer attachment to make sausages using natural skins that I order on line from B.O.T. Thailand.

I had to Google B.O.T. and it came up with bank of Thailand Haha.

Ok scrolled down and found B.O.T.  Do you order by phone? I can't see any way of ordering on the website.

I could even pop in there it is so close to my home.

I have been ordering skins from Foodland and have been satisfied with them so far, but always willing to try something new.

14 hours ago, petedk said:

I had to Google B.O.T. and it came up with bank of Thailand Haha.

Ok scrolled down and found B.O.T.  Do you order by phone? I can't see any way of ordering on the website.

I could even pop in there it is so close to my home.

I have been ordering skins from Foodland and have been satisfied with them so far, but always willing to try something new.

I order on line.  Here's the link: http://www.botthailand.com/our-products.html

You have to google either b.o.t . limited or b.o.t. co.

Archived