Russian tourist arrivals hit 1mn, overall arrivals reach 32.51mn

snoop1130

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

PHUKET: Once again Russia became the first non-Asia tourist market to record 1mn visits to Thailand. Australia, the US and European countries are yet to make it.

Me not understand, as there according to TAT in 2018 were 1.5 million Russians and 1.1 million from USA...????

5a71fcbc72558ef9ba7dabf12bc7a2b1.jpeg

Source: The Nation, 20th January 2019, "TAT shows foreign visitors by the numbers".

17 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Just need 5.5 million more in 2 weeks to reach last year's total!

The figures are through October. Actually have two more months, and they expect 29M+ by that date, if you follow the link to the original article.

From the referenced link....US (+4.5%), Spain, English (up slightly), France (about even) seem not affected by the baht rise through October 2019. Aussie, German arrivals down significantly. Eastern Europe, Middle East (mostly Israel and UAE) up. Overall numbers up for the year vs. 2018, despite 500k below estimate. 

A mixed bag of tourists now holiday in Thailand. Russian, Chines & Indians will continue to arrive, but they are hardly quality tourists ........ European & States Side tourists are avoiding Thailand now. Rate of exchange is bad, poor safety records, sanitation & health issues also need to be taken seriously ......... too many problems here to make this a tourist haven ..... sad really, as they have beautiful beaches & vast areas of tropical paradise etc, but environmentally the people just do not care. Once you are off the main tourist areas it really is shameful to see the landscape full of human waste discarded in bushes & ditches here, especially the discarded plastic bags with food discarded by people on motorbikes daily. I feel so sad each time I see it ..... fact. It will take many years for Thailand to recover in my view, if at all. People here need to wake up to the reality that they are destroying their piece of the planet. Since early 2000's, when I arrived, it's gone from bad to worse in almost twenty years. It has now reached a crisis point environmentally. No one paid attention to the most valuable commodity of all .......... the tourist ....... most locals have just been focussing on money & giving nothing back! Now the quality tourists are gone it's doubtful if they will ever return ............. the economy will continue to spiral downwards........ sad.

16 hours ago, Sametboy2019 said:

Definitely more Russians around lately. Prefer them to Chinese.

I find they spend their money evenly. They go to bars, restaurants, mom and pop shops and local markets. Chinese go to buffets and 7 11.

You must only meet a lot of cheap Chinese tourists. Rich and educated Chinese don’t eat at 711 or buffets as they know this will lead to serious health issues and cancer in their 40s.

All the Chinese tourists I meet drop stupid cash in Thailand. We had a guy come into our clinic last week and drop $500k USD on penis enlargement. I’m not even kidding. He left a “very happy” customer.

Russians spend quite a bit too but rarely are they spending big stupid money like the Chinese. But the Russians certainly spend more than the Europeans. Europeans are the cheapest and poorest tourists in my experience. The only tourists that outspend the Chinese are the Americans. We don’t get many Americans but when they do come to Thailand, my god do they spend big money.

I love the Chinese, especially Chinese investors. They just hand you stupid amounts of cash and say “build me a clinic” and they don’t care how much it costs. $200 million USD is nothing for your average Chinese investor and they honestly don’t even care if they make their money back. They just want to spend spend spend their cash. Or perhaps I should say launder it?

Seems like a lot of folks TV are targeting the wrong kinds of tourists. Chinese have lots of money and spend big. Definitely a tourist that Thailand needs. It would be great if Thailand could attract more American heavyweight but unlikely given all the options Americans have that are close to home.

The one thing that gets Americans over to Thailand is bleeding-edge medical tourism that is not available in America or Mexico. A smart Thai would seek out Chinese investors to invest in alternative cancer clinics doing things like DNA reprogramming, gene editing, designer babies, cryogenics etc.... Then target Americans. 

5 hours ago, Emdog said:

What sort of bait? Dry flies or worms? Just to be pedantic, the term is "bated" meaning "in great suspense; very anxiously or excitedly."

Living in Jomtien, I've reached some sort of peace. Most of them are good decent people. Every country has it's louts.

I think the overall class has improved over 10 yrs ago, when the women looked like tinsel 1950's hookers and the men like KGB hefty stereotypes. Or maybe they were....

Emdog, I do love your last paragraph, but we pedants do have to take extra care - “it’s louts”??

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Once again Russia became the first non-Asia tourist market to record 1mn visits to Thailand. Australia, the US and European countries are yet to make it.

TAT employs numerous magicians who, in due course, pull the numbers desired by the Boss out of their cylinder!????

6 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Great stuff!...can't wait to let the guys know in the "local" tonight.

They always wait with baited breath to hear from me what the latest tourist figures are.

That’s if your local hasn’t closed down “;0)

8am this morning walking along Patong beach just on surf line, got adjacent to watch tower before Bangla/Police box and observed an elderly Russian woman in surf but facing land, legs akimbo? her daughter was behind her rabbiting on in Russian to the old dear and behind her grabbing at something, I thought whats going on here? as I was walking passed old dear has only took a dump in her pantaloons and daughter proceeded to pull/ roll them off her legs, her big white bare ar $e for all to see while she tried to get up with a huge solid looking bag full of something... Thought seen it all now here? a few yards further on seemed what looked like from the back anyways two young ladies in last nights attire another lady in sea with an arab looking 20 something lad... got nearer, was three katoys...

I remember thinking, who's in more $ hit the old russian women or this ME lad when he sobers up to find his new GFs are not really what he thought they were...

All you need to know about Patong at moment... 555 

2 hours ago, Lokie said:

8am this morning walking along Patong beach just on surf line, got adjacent to watch tower before Bangla/Police box and observed an elderly Russian woman in surf but facing land, legs akimbo? her daughter was behind her rabbiting on in Russian to the old dear and behind her grabbing at something, I thought whats going on here? as I was walking passed old dear has only took a dump in her pantaloons and daughter proceeded to pull/ roll them off her legs, her big white bare ar $e for all to see while she tried to get up with a huge solid looking bag full of something... Thought seen it all now here? a few yards further on seemed what looked like from the back anyways two young ladies in last nights attire another lady in sea with an arab looking 20 something lad... got nearer, was three katoys...

I remember thinking, who's in more $ hit the old russian women or this ME lad when he sobers up to find his new GFs are not really what he thought they were...

All you need to know about Patong at moment... 555 

See? it's not all bad in LOS.

Free entertainment from 8am.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:17 PM, Sametboy2019 said:

Definitely more Russians around lately. Prefer them to Chinese.

I find they spend their money evenly. They go to bars, restaurants, mom and pop shops and local markets. Chinese go to buffets and 7 11.

spend more money,you're having a laugh.tight as,they don't go to bars,they buy a bottle of vodka from 7 and sit at their hotel

On 12/12/2019 at 2:35 PM, Isaan sailor said:

Russians, Indians and Chinese.  Good luck with your quality, high spending tourists, Thailand.

Be interesting to see what happens when the Russian and Chinese tourists take off their bathing suits and put on their uniforms and Thailand finds out it has been occupied. Russian military base coming to Laos? Nikkei Asian Review says, yes.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/International-relations/Russia-quietly-expands-military-ties-with-Laos2

Archived