Activist Thunberg denounces "creative PR" in climate fight

snoop1130

On 12/11/2019 at 12:45 PM, evadgib said:

Why are her own finances such a mystery and why has she never had a pop at the likes of China & other real culprits?

What is the problem for you with her finances? You think that is a bigger problem than polution? About China, she have criticism them as well. but one of her main idea is to critisice those countries that have accept the UN convention on the rights of the child, and China has not.

.  So your comment just shows that you not really know what you are talking about. 

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/11/2019 at 1:53 PM, melvinmelvin said:

wouldn't think that opera singers and actors in Sweden normally were wealthy people,

parents perhaps inherited a heap or won the lottery . . . .

You are totaly wrong. Wordknown opera singers as well as wellknown actors, even if only in Sweden, are, economical very healty.

17 minutes ago, Parsve said:

What is the problem for you with her finances? You think that is a bigger problem than polution? About China, she have criticism them as well. but one of her main idea is to critisice those countries that have accept the UN convention on the rights of the child, and China has not.

.  So your comment just shows that you not really know what you are talking about. 

Why do you think I asked & who are you to dish out a sermon?

23 hours ago, seajae said:

she is a hypocrite, she is told what to say as can be seen when she was asked a basic question and could not answer it, she has no real idea of the world and only what she has been told.

Can you prove this please, otherwise, if you are a honor person. please take away your comment.

1 hour ago, Krataiboy said:

Neither is Greta. But at least I've got a sense of humour.

Well, she's made it on to Time's cover.

Do you chip the deaf about their inability to appreciate music too?

FYi, high-functioning Asperger's don't regard their attributes as a disability.

On 12/11/2019 at 1:53 PM, melvinmelvin said:

wouldn't think that opera singers and actors in Sweden normally were wealthy people,

parents perhaps inherited a heap or won the lottery . . . .

You are totaly wrong. Wordknown opera singers as well as wellknown actors, even if only in Sweden, are, economical very healty.

1 hour ago, Krataiboy said:

Neither of us are climate scientists, but we are both clearly capable of studying both sides of the debate and coming up with logical conclusions. We could kick the "science" of global warming back and forth for ever, or at least until we are all toast or shivering in another ice age.

However, some time before either of these catastrophes occurs I would urge you to explore Morningstar's series, which in my view brilliantly and surgically (scientifically, I am tempted to say) unravels the complex narrative of how the climate change movement has been hijacked, by whom and for what nefarious purpose. 

I suspect it will be as much as an eyeopener for you as it was for me.

A morningstar is a medieval weapon similar to a mace, used as a flail. Much like the experience I am getting on this thread.

Meantime, don't buy  any real estate in Bangkok. A city only 1 metre above sea level doesn't strike me as a good long-term investment. Bet the financial advisers are not saying that.

19 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

her mother writes books on green issues.uses her to sell or promote them.she is annoying and everyone knows it

Her mother is an opera singer, give an example of just one book about green issues that she have wrote by her own. 

3 minutes ago, Parsve said:

you are of course welcome to think so, each man strong in his faith

I still maintain my view

I have checked the official Swedish figures re salaries for actors in the various "provinces" in Sweden,

their salary is NOT high at all

you would quite simply struggle to run a family with two grown ups and two kids with that salary

I didna bother to look for the opera bit

2 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

you are of course welcome to think so, each man strong in his faith

I still maintain my view

I have checked the official Swedish figures re salaries for actors in the various "provinces" in Sweden,

you would quite simply struggle to run a family with two grown ups and two kids with that salary

greta may well be making good money, i looked up 'media influencers'

and it turned out a swede was at the very top, making 12 million USD per year

49 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Of course I am. Until they invent something that can turn sand, sea water and BS into non-polluting and 100% recyclable energy for the burgeoning masses, stuff still needs to be dug from the earth or pumped to the surface by diesel-burning equipment, converted using electricity from coal-burning power plants and molded into gigantic bits of metal or reinforced man-made materials that are not bio-degradable.

Here's a fair and balanced, well-researched and unbiased assessment of the smoke and mirrors game that the less than altruistic 'save the planet' club member is touting. You know, the ones with huge vested commercial interests and a fat bank account that they want to get fatter, be it a government, corporate entity or private individual.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/if-you-want-renewable-energy-get-ready-to-dig-11565045328

"Engineers joke about discovering “unobtanium,” a magical energy-producing element that appears out of nowhere, requires no land, weighs nothing, and emits nothing. Absent the realization of that impossible dream, hydrocarbons remain a far better alternative than today’s green dreams."

If one is to be truly serious about saving the environment, one has to commit to begin somewhere and not just parrot the knee-jerk stress monkeys with their vague science and questionable reasoning. However, in their mad rush to blame everything on fossil fuels and tout totally unsustainable and mostly incompatible alternatives, the mass hysteria of the stop CO2 emission band of deluded finger-pointers don't appreciate that for the time being, fossil fuels are a still much needed stepping stone to this carbon-neutral nirvana. Until we get there, your car wont run without it and your fridge won't keep your beer cold either.

https://www.rystadenergy.com/newsevents/news/press-releases/big-ep-spending-still-needed-but-fields-with-break-even-above-$60-are-priced-out/

"Energy projects that need oil prices above $60 per barrel in order to break even risk being uncommercial going forward, according to Rystad Energy. However, massive investments in exploration and sanctioning are still needed to meet growing global demand."

"...someone of your background..." Spare us your pontifical posturing. Next you'll have us believing you've signed up to the Extinction Rebellion.

BTW, when I'm not out raping mother earth, I ride a push bike, grow rice, recycle poop and vote Green. Now what's your raison d'être?

Oh dear, rational discussion being subsumed by pejoratives. You've already stated you were part of the fossil fuel industry, so what's wrong with me taking that into account?

In case it has escaped your notice, renewable energy in Australia is killing the gold-plated energy networks, and they are squealing like stuck pigs. Not enough profit, despite the best attempts of governments to prop them up.

I dare say in my working career I contributed far more to advancing knowledge than you have. As for recycling poop, anyone can have a bog in a rice field.

13 hours ago, sead said:

And wellknown leftist activists

Not at all, but her mother is a wellknown opera singer and  also that she not like the far right and nationalism. Is that the same as to be a "leftivist activist"?

11 hours ago, NanLaew said:

It's hubris to consider that rafts of floating wind farms and acres of solar panels have a zero-carbon footprint.

As with any new technology, and new application of old tech, it will take some time to get them dialed in and figure out where they work and where they don't.  But you have to start somewhere.

I'm not old enough to remember all the folks that claimed that those new rickety contraptions would never replace the horse and buggy.  But I do remember when it took a room full of tiny magnets to store a gigabyte of data.

Of course they have a carbon footprint.  But how does it compare with the tech they're replacing for an equivalent power yield over the life?

13 hours ago, car720 said:

It is good to see that some people have eyes to see with.

She is a pawn and if the blonde was a male she would be called a child molester.  What this kid needs is a spanking.  I hate people who use kids to their own end.

Your word speak for it self. Who of the words famous people do your brain think speak by them self? And what have your comment to do with the subject?

23 minutes ago, impulse said:

As with any new technology, and new application of old tech, it will take some time to get them dialed in and figure out where they work and where they don't.  But you have to start somewhere.

I'm not old enough to remember all the folks that claimed that those new rickety contraptions would never replace the horse and buggy.  But I do remember when it took a room full of tiny magnets to store a gigabyte of data.

Of course they have a carbon footprint.  But how does it compare with the tech they're replacing for an equivalent power yield over the life?

In the USA you can choose what electricity you want to use in many locations. If you check that you want to use energy from green sources you can. At that point the electric company will simply raise your bill and that's that.

It will still come from the same pole and the same line. However if you strongly support clean energy you as a consumer can choose to do so. 

49 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

And I am a Swedish citizen and by that probably know more about Sweden and Swedish salary than you ever can find on the internet, so I still say that you are wrong.   

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

A morningstar is a medieval weapon similar to a mace, used as a flail. Much like the experience I am getting on this thread.

Meantime, don't buy  any real estate in Bangkok. A city only 1 metre above sea level doesn't strike me as a good long-term investment. Bet the financial advisers are not saying that.

Well, Ms Morningstar's dense and detailed multi-chapter opus on climate change is certainly a head banger! As for buying a property in Bangkok, the city is sinking under its own weight, so not a good idea.

Forecasts of dramatic sea rises hasn't deterred global warming crusader Barack Obama from reportedly lavishing millions on a Martha's Vinyard seaside mansion predicted to be under water by 2100. Maybe the ex-President knows something his climate experts don't. . .

Oh, and I according to Forbes, the property market in the Maldives islands - many of which are only a metre above sea level - is booming. 

Makes you think.

48 minutes ago, Parsve said:

And I am a Swedish citizen and by that probably know more about Sweden and Swedish salary than you ever can find on the internet, so I still say that you are wrong.   

have met many Swedes, not uncommon that they are stubborn and pretty full of themselves

I have recently checked 3 different sources with statistical information re actors and salaries

in Sweden, 2 of them based on data from both the governments statistics unit and

from employer oranisations

I'll change may earlier wording; the salaries are pretty low actually

and

there is no reason to think that opera singers enjoy significantly better renumeration

enjoy your superior knowledge

49 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Well, Ms Morningstar's dense and detailed multi-chapter opus on climate change is certainly a head banger! As for buying a property in Bangkok, the city is sinking under its own weight, so not a good idea.

Forecasts of dramatic sea rises hasn't deterred global warming crusader Barack Obama from reportedly lavishing millions on a Martha's Vinyard seaside mansion predicted to be under water by 2100. Maybe the ex-President knows something his climate experts don't. . .

Oh, and I according to Forbes, the property market in the Maldives islands - many of which are only a metre above sea level - is booming. 

Makes you think.

I don't see them planning to evacuate The Netherlands or NYC. It is ironic that for the most part it is liberals that believe this stuff that live in the worst places. They also tend to contribute more than their share to the problem.

45 minutes ago, Prairieboy said:

The question must be "Which environmental group is writing her scripts?"  These are not the words of a 16 year old 'activist'.

the 'you come to us to look for hope, how dare you' speech

had a whiff of drama queen, so id go with the father, the actor

3 hours ago, brokenbone said:

i found some more data on australia,

every one of them points to 1906 as being the hottest on record,

and in general, 1880-1906 was a very warm period.

if i were revisionist, id make sure no data pre 1907 would ever be released,

it sorta <deleted> all over the parade

australia temp 1855 2019.jpg

australia temp  1906.jpg

australia 1906 2.jpg

australia 1877 2012.jpg

australia trend.jpg

Your data is distorted by the absence of a statistically significant number of temperature readings in the Australian interior in earlier times. For crying out loud, can't you tell the difference between the Fahrenheit and Centigrade temperature scale? That 1906 110F reading is a comparatively mild 43 degrees C. The last heat cell in central Australia hit 54 C. Your data is BS.

25 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Your data is distorted by the absence of a statistically significant number of temperature readings in the Australian interior in earlier times. For crying out loud, can't you tell the difference between the Fahrenheit and Centigrade temperature scale? That 1906 110F reading is a comparatively mild 43 degrees C. The last heat cell in central Australia hit 54 C. Your data is BS.

both articles states 124 F in the shade, which is 51 c,

and it may well happen that the latest record is a result of a badly placed thermometer

in urban area surrounded by asphalt, a problem these days

for some of the readings.

here is another with 127 F / 52 c 1896 from south wales australia,

there wasnt any asphalt around to distort readings back then.

australia 127 f.jpg

6 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Makes you think.

You think Obama or his heirs won't have sold off the seaside property before 2100? At a handsome profit? It's called kicking the can down the road.

The dismal science has a central assumption economic growth can go on indefinitely. It's the mantra of all politicians. Logical nonsense, because it is only recently the environmental and social costs of economic growth have started to be taken into account. The barges that trundle New York's waste out into the Atlantic will only stop when the sea starts to stink - or maybe not even then. Take a look at what mass tourism has done to Halong Bay.

Entropy is at work, and we need to get clever. 

3 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

both articles states 124 F in the shade, which is 51 c,

and it may well happen that the latest record is a result of a badly placed thermometer

in urban area surrounded by asphalt, a problem these days

for some of the readings

Mildura is only on the fringe of the real Australian interior. Broken Hill and Alice Springs are more appropriate sites for measurements.

Has it occurred to you the single reading quoted in 1906 may itself be in error due to a thermometer being placed in the sun for journalistic licence? Or that multiple, statistically significant readings in this century may be more precise and accurate?

Archived