Kratom leaves to be left out of new narcotics list

snoop1130

Kratom leaves to be left out of new narcotics list

By THE NATION

800_4a2383822f2051b.jpg

Justice Minister, Somsak Thapsutin said on Wednesday (December 11) that his ministry would propose new laws related to narcotics in terms of type and legal penalty, and aimed to exclude kratom leaves from the drug lists.

“To consider plants or chemicals as narcotics, the government referred to World Health Organization (WHO)’s drug regulatory framework, which defined narcotics as having four characteristics,” he explained.

First, narcotics must cause effects on the users’ body like anxiety or severe dysentery, when they stop using them. Second, narcotics have no medical advantage or have them slightly, and, third, those who consume it suffer from health problems, such as emaciation, weakness, and being nervous, and cannot control themselves. Lastly, narcotics can cause an impact on society.

“Kratom leaves do not match those characteristics,” said the minister. “Those who use them can stop using it easily, and the leaves can be used as herb to relieve pain, fever, dysentery, or diarrhea. Also, it is better than morphine thirteen times in killing pain, and has a few disadvantages.”

Previously, Thai researchers had studied kratom leaves with Japanese researchers, and copyrighted two copies in Japan and two copies of America.

Source: nationthailand.com/news/30379317

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-12-11

16 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

First, narcotics must cause effects on the users’ body like anxiety or severe dysentery, when they stop using them. Second, narcotics have no medical advantage or have them slightly, and, third, those who consume it suffer from health problems, such as emaciation, weakness, and being nervous, and cannot control themselves. Lastly, narcotics can cause an impact on society.

“Kratom leaves do not match those characteristics,” said the minister. “Those who use them can stop using it easily, and the leaves can be used as herb to relieve pain, fever, dysentery, or diarrhea. Also, it is better than morphine thirteen times in killing pain, and has a few disadvantages.”

Well.. The exact same thing can be said about cannabis. So why not remove that as well?

51 minutes ago, Lowryderen said:

Well.. The exact same thing can be said about cannabis. So why not remove that as well?

I recently noticed a bunch of ads and a few local shops in the USA (Texas- which hasn't legalized weed) selling kratom.  So I'm figuring there's export $$$ potential for kratom.  Not so much for weed...  It ain't about the medical benefits.  It's about the coin.

Indonesia has been supplying tom to North America for a long time. Recently there has been some reefer madness type propaganda put out there but the info doesn't stand up to scrutiny well. If this was truly an evil substance it would of shown up as such a long time ago. It looks very promising in managing withdrawal from opioids which is maybe why it's been recently demonized, could be stepping on big pharmas toes who may wanting to break into that frontier in which they originally created.  Thailand is making the right move on this one, the penalties given to citizens are far more harmful than the effects of this substance which has been demonized in Thailand somewhat recently by kids mixing tom tea with codeine or DM cough syrups and other garbage. 

2 hours ago, Lowryderen said:

not really, I have known several people that were badly effected by over use of it, my younger brother for one. While it can be used for various purposes even for good if used sensibly addiction can be very severe and cause major problems, kratom is a different kettle of fish

It was banned because it competed with the thai opium market($$$). It can be used to lessen the side effect of opioid withrawal. 

"The Thai government had passed the Kratom Act 2486, effective August 3, 1943, which made planting the tree illegal,[16] in response to a rise in its use when opium became very expensive in Thailand and the Thai government was attempting to gain control of the opium market.[2] "

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitragyna_speciosa

The DEA has been trying to make kratom illegal in the US but they failed because of huge backlash. 

Best news to come out of Thailand in a while.  Soon my daily tea will be legal.  Fantastic qualities to help you get focused on your daily duties.  Highly suggest it to those who have to multitask and for those who have trouble getting the old choo-chooo up and running. 

water, lime juice, kratom....that"s it.

"First, narcotics must cause effects on the users’ body like anxiety or severe dysentery, when they stop using them. Second, narcotics have no medical advantage or have them slightly, and, third, those who consume it suffer from health problems, such as emaciation, weakness, and being nervous, and cannot control themselves. Lastly, narcotics can cause an impact on society"

Does that mean they are going to add tobacco and alcohol to the list?

12 hours ago, impulse said:

I recently noticed a bunch of ads and a few local shops in the USA (Texas- which hasn't legalized weed) selling kratom.  So I'm figuring there's export $$$ potential  kratom.  Not so much for weed...  It ain't about the medical benefits.  It's about the coin.

Kratom is NOT prohibited in the USA. It just isn't worth the effort for what you get out of it. 

14 hours ago, Lowryderen said:

Frequent cannabis use may give you a ‘dicky’ heart:

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2019/12/12/young-cannabis-users-stroke-heart-attack-risk.aspx?cid_source=dnl&cid_medium=email&cid_content=art2HL&cid=20191212Z3&et_cid=DM408107&et_rid=767827456

1 hour ago, IAMHERE said:

Kratom is NOT prohibited in the USA. It just isn't worth the effort for what you get out of it. 

It's prohibited in 6 states. The DEA has tried unsuccessfully to move it to schedule 1. I think they will eventually succeed unless the US reverse its overzealous drug policy. 

38 minutes ago, wasabi said:

Where in Bangkok can you get Kratom that is of legitimate quality and legally obtained?

You can't get it legally. It has been reclassified like marijuana but there is no legal way to get a prescription that I am aware of. However it's the most popular drug in Thailand and most users are in the South. 

2 hours ago, jaltsc said:

"First, narcotics must cause effects on the users’ body like anxiety or severe dysentery, when they stop using them. Second, narcotics have no medical advantage or have them slightly, and, third, those who consume it suffer from health problems, such as emaciation, weakness, and being nervous, and cannot control themselves. Lastly, narcotics can cause an impact on society"

Does that mean they are going to add tobacco and alcohol to the list?

No, because it would mean chucking 12 billion baht of tax reveue out of the window.

14 hours ago, seajae said:

not really, I have known several people that were badly effected by over use of it, my younger brother for one. While it can be used for various purposes even for good if used sensibly addiction can be very severe and cause major problems, kratom is a different kettle of fish

This is 100% correct.....No drug effects people as differently as weed does....Some people it has almost no negative effects on them on the other extreme some people weed will have horrible effects on them......Most other people are some were between these two extremes.....  

20 hours ago, Lowryderen said:

As mentioned before, every long term user I know has a paranoia about something. They are not dangerous but just a pain in the A when they start their rants.

Archived