Spousal Non-O To Be Acquired in US, Extended in Thailand

Probably covered, at least in fragments, somewhere in the last 500 pages, but I want to be very specific:

I will acquire a 1-year Multiple-entry Non-O (Thai spouse) visa in New York City in February. The Thai Consulate states the monetary requirement for this visa as:

"Evidence of sufficient funds such as a copy of recent personal bank statements, audited accounts, taxation records or credit card limit for the period of stay in Thailand ($700 per person and $1,500 per family." [Period of stay I assume is 90 days.]

At the end of 90 or 180 days I will extend for one year, also on the basis of Thai spouse. Two questions:

1. Will Chiang Mai Immigration (my port of entry) have different requirements for allowing my entry into the country, such as for example $XXX cash on hand?

2. Can I, shortly after entering Thailand and in order to meet the extension of stay requirement, create a bank account in my name only and transfer into it THB400,000 from a joint Thai bank account I hold with my wife (account and funds already exist), or must that amount arrive from outside of Thailand (e.g. US bank) into my new account?

Thanks for reading. Clarity and cogent advice will be much appreciated.

• Like 1

You don't really need a multiple entry non-o visa if you plan on applying for a extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai. You could get a single entry non-o visa for a fee of $80 verses $200 for a multiple entry visa that you may only use once.

1. The equivalent of 20k baht is not normally asked for when entering the country.

2. There is no requirement to prove the 400k baht came from abroad. You only need to prove the 400k baht has been in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months on the date of application.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

1. The equivalent of 20k baht is not normally asked for when entering the country.

2. There is no requirement to prove the 400k baht came from abroad. You only need to prove the 400k baht has been in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months on the date of application.

Thanks ubonjoe. Great to know about the bank deposit and THB entry non-requirement. Fingers crossed a bit on the latter. I am only considering an ME visa in case we decide we don't want to be stuck in Thailand every year in  April-May for the annual extension ritual. Weather, AQ... Otherwise a single entry would be sufficient. Still thinking about this.

Edited by Ozziepat
grammar

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could also apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife to delay doing the one year extension application to near the end of the 60 days.

So then I could enter mid-Feb, stay almost 90 days, extend for an additional 60 days and then be filing for a one year extension in say early July - saving on the initial cost and avoiding a required trip out of the country after one period of stay on an ME visa? That works. Thank you.

1 minute ago, Ozziepat said:

So then I could enter mid-Feb, stay almost 90 days, extend for an additional 60 days and then be filing for a one year extension in say early July

That is correct plus it gives your more time to open the bank account and etc.