BANGKOK
genericptr

Grilled requesting METV and certified ID card?

2 hours ago, mstevens said:

This is just more proof that makes me thing Thailand is just getting too difficult...and I'm only talking about visiting. Life's too short to deal with all of this sort of <deleted> and it's not like once the plane touches down in Thailand there's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. I've been put off heading back to Thailand for a holiday any time soon.

Yes it really is disheartening and especially so since I spent so many years in the country before they started to clamp down. To put it into perspective it's not really that bad and the immigration coming back in the US often treats me like a criminal also because I was gone for so long in Thailand (that's apparently suspicious behavior).

The only really annoying part is requesting I get some certified document from my girlfriend but refusing to say how this certification works or what I need to return to her. I just had to tell my girlfriend "go to the district office tomorrow and ask to certify the ID" which makes no sense to me but maybe the staff will understand what she means. I'll be properly <deleted> if I send this back to the embassy and they tell me it's still no good and to read the website which doesn't mention this certification process either.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, genericptr said:

"Visa requires a letter of proof of employment" and their response after supplying such letter: "Why are you coming to Thailand if you're employed?".  Honestly what do they want us to say? Is this supposed to be game or something?

Yes, it´s a game. For many people the biggest and the one that has most impact on their life.

23 minutes ago, tonray said:

They don't want her ID certified ! They want her to show ID and sign the letter in their presence so they can be assured she produced it and it's not a falsified document.

So you mean notarized? That would make sense but the women said "take the ID the district office and have it certified". It's possible that something was lost in translation but I really did try to have her clarify this which only mad her angry. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, glegolo said:

I think that YOU are most helped with the very first, and the very last post above me. Their advise is in my eyes fully acceptable. You need to jump off some of your high horses, and start to learn to navigate through life.

Reading your post, to me, you seems to be of the "questinable" type of person, more than the "solution-seeking" kind of person, that is needed over here in S.E. Asia......

Really? I submitted all the documents and tried my best to comply with the regulations. The user above says she wants a notarized letter but then why didn't she just say that in the first place? If she did I wouldn't have bothered to even post here since most of us is just venting.

As for the employment thing please try to explain that to me. I know it doesn't matter in the end but it bothers us they ask for information and then accuse us of trying to get away with something after they receive it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, genericptr said:

So you mean notarized? That would make sense but the women said "take the ID the district office and have it certified". It's possible that something was lost in translation but I really did try to have her clarify this which only mad her angry. 

Yes. She was telling you to get the "letter" certified with her ID for verification. Certifying her ID makes no sense

Edited by tonray
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, tonray said:

Yes. She was telling you to get the "letter" certified with her ID for verification. Certifying her ID makes no sense

It seems impossible that the embassy staff doesn't know the word notarize but what do I know. Thanks for the idea though, you're probably right.

Update: I just got off the phone with my girlfriend and she has no idea what they're asking for so I've instructed her to ask the Chiang Mai immigration if they know about this. Is notarizing even done at the district office? Maybe my girlfriend is just as stupid as me because getting simple instructions shouldn't be this difficult. I thought signing the letter of invitation and taking a picture with it next to her national ID would be plenty good evidence but she insisted about the certification process at the district office. 

The funny part is they refused paystubs for proof of employment but accepted without complaint a letter from my boss of which I could have easily forged. Nothing said about that!

The lesson here is probably not to tell them you're visiting family for 6 months and give them some hotel reservation and that you don't know where you're going to stay after that.

• Like 2