PM 2.5 Detector Monitor

4MyEgo

You may want to look here:

https://www.airvisual.com/air-quality-monitor

It's not exactly cheap, but it seems to me to be a serious/professional device. Moreover, you can link yours to a pretty large network of AirVisual devices all over the planet and contribute your locations values, which then can be seen by anyone using the free AirVisual app

1 hour ago, AsiaCheese said:

It's not exactly cheap, but it seems to me to be a serious/professional device. Moreover, you can link yours to a pretty large network of AirVisual devices all over the planet and contribute your locations values, which then can be seen by anyone using the free AirVisual app

I bought one, and accidentally dropped it out of a three-story building (I had set it on the window ledge to take a reading). It still worked for about a year after that.

18 minutes ago, Captain 776 said:

Breathe Deep

If I felt there was a need for me to buy one of these gizmos, I'd move!

As it is our nearest AQI monitor some 15kms away is usually 'moderate', sometimes 'good' and only occasionally 'unhealthy'. I can live with that.

Lazada carries a variety of 2.5 monitors with different other readings.  i bought one over a year ago, made in China of course, but have had zero problems with it and it is used on a daily basis.  FYI Goolge "AQI chiang mai" and you can get up to date reading for the province but I notice that my monitor differs because the AQI reader only does certain buildings within the cities/hospitals, schools etc!

45 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

If I felt there was a need for me to buy one of these gizmos, I'd move!

I was curious. Air quality in Hat Yai is usually good, just occasionally that the Sumatran haze gets as far as us. My wife is asthmatic, so more than a passing interest, wanted to see how effective the two air purifiers we have are for the odd day that the air is poor, and my wife is a bit wheezy. 

Purpleair.com 

This is a company  a friend here  started.    Starting to get sensors in Thailand now.  Just look at the map.  Last time I talked to him he has 5000 sensors out in the world. Last year  I posted that I would bring one and give it to someone in Bangkok for free and no one would take my offer. There were none in Thailand in July. It is amazing at how localized pollution can be I use the map to see if I should exercise and a couple miles can make a big difference in our inverted soup bowl in Utah.  One time he called me up and said what are you doing you're sensor is going over 300 I had just lit a fire in my backyard fire pit the sensor was a good 40 ft away and not even in the Smoke path. I looked at the chart and it's soared up from 50 to 350 within minutes after I started my outdoor fire pit. 

Ive had the Xaiomi cube one for 3 years. Works great and have it outside I like that you can check it with the app... it does not have temp or humidity but Xaiomi sells a sensor for that too or a more complex unit

Sadly it is reading over 100 right now ;-(

What are you going to do with the data? Seems to me the most cost-effective way to cope with poor AQI is to look out the window to gauge visibility, then turn on the air purifier accordingly. Admittedly not as scientific.

14 hours ago, AsiaCheese said:

Why not just download the Free App like I have. Your local town should be on it and the reason I trust the results is because the map is worldwide, so it is not a local App.

19 hours ago, Lacessit said:

What are you going to do with the data? Seems to me the most cost-effective way to cope with poor AQI is to look out the window to gauge visibility, then turn on the air purifier accordingly. Admittedly not as scientific.

Yes agree, problem is when I look out the window at the moment, I can't tell if its mist or smoke, open the window early and sure thing its smoke from someone burning their rice field or sugar cane field at night.

I am looking at getting the monitor more so for the kids, as much as the smoke displeases and affects me, with the smoke season soon approaching in February/March.

The above said I download an app as others have suggested, i.e. IQAir AirVisual as it gives me the reading at the town the kids go to school at, and as they have to stand in assembly for 45 minutes breathing that smoke/pollution in, we can make a decision as to whether we take them to school post assembly so that they can avoid 45 minutes of breathing that <deleted> into their young lungs.

Looking at the reading now, it's moderate at 97, although was 127 this morning which was unhealthy for sensitive groups, although we want to know when it reaches 151 unhealthy so as to hold them back and when the smoke season starts, as soon as they break for school holidays, we will take them away for a couple of months where the air is good as opposed to unhealthy.

As my wife says: Welcome to Thailand  ????

The above app is great as you can add your own places and when I look at where we used to live back in the old country, it's 29 good, plan B is there, it's just a matter of time, i.e. how much can a koala bare :omfg:

11 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Yes agree, problem is when I look out the window at the moment, I can't tell if its mist or smoke, open the window early and sure thing its smoke from someone burning their rice field or sugar cane field at night.

I am looking at getting the monitor more so for the kids, as much as the smoke displeases and affects me, with the smoke season soon approaching in February/March.

The above said I download an app as others have suggested, i.e. IQAir AirVisual as it gives me the reading at the town the kids go to school at, and as they have to stand in assembly for 45 minutes breathing that smoke/pollution in, we can make a decision as to whether we take them to school post assembly so that they can avoid 45 minutes of breathing that <deleted> into their young lungs.

Looking at the reading now, it's moderate at 97, although was 127 this morning which was unhealthy for sensitive groups, although we want to know when it reaches 151 unhealthy so as to hold them back and when the smoke season starts, as soon as they break for school holidays, we will take them away for a couple of months where the air is good as opposed to unhealthy.

As my wife says: Welcome to Thailand  ????

The above app is great as you can add your own places and when I look at where we used to live back in the old country, it's 29 good, plan B is there, it's just a matter of time, i.e. how much can a koala bare :omfg:

It's more likely to be mist in the morning if it is cold, as it has been in Chiang Rai environs.

At my age, the smoke doesn't seem to affect me too badly. I just button up, or go somewhere else. Your point about young lungs is very relevant.

Archived