Keep calling Big Oud's hotline: German arrested on 218 day overstay

webfact

Keep calling Big Oud's hotline: German arrested on 218 day overstay

2pm.jpg

Naew Na repeated their request for the public to continue to call 1178 to help immigration with lawbreakers under chief Lt-Gen Sompong "Big Oud" Chingduang's clean-up drive.

Latest to fall foul of the measures was a 64 year old German man named as Guido W.

He was visited at a house in Moo 1, Tharai sub-district of Muang district Nakhon Sri Thammarat in Thailand's south where he was found to have overstayed his visa by 218 days. 

Naew Na said that the arrest was part of sweeps of hotels, properties and migrants residing in the area under the control of Nakhon Sri Thammarat immigration. 

Source: Naew Na

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-12-12

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, webfact said:

Naew Na repeated their request for the public to continue to call 1178

It's getting more like East Germany, when the Stasi had everyone

spying on everyone else,while I am against overstayers,they seem

to be going over the top,asking the public to be basically spies,and

when they move on the overstayers,they seem to swoop with excessive

numbers of Police ,immigration officers,like they were going after terrorists.

regards Worgeordie

12 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Nobody have asked anybody to spy! Where are you getting that from. People are just asked to report what they know and suspicious circumstances. Same like in any country regarding any kind of criminal offense. But, of course, it sounds much better to explain it like you just did, because then you can put the blame on the Thais instead of the people that is commiting the offense.

Nobody have asked anybody to spy only call this number ????

The Immigration Police are just doing their jobs. 

There is a clear set of rules which must be abided by to stay in this country. 

This man, for whatever reasons broke those rules, he knew what he was doing and took his risks - Its harsh, its sad, but that's the way it is. 

As far as 'grassing someone up', I consider this morally reprehensible - who would really 'grass-up' an over-stayer? (unless they'd be crossed by that over-stayer).

The headline mentions 'big Oud's hotline' but it's still unclear as to whether the hotline was actually used in this case. 

I hope the guy was given a chance to get at least a couple of things in order before he was arrested - its got to be extremely tough, heartbreaking even, living here and then having the rug pulled out from under you like that. 

The message is very clear and the same as every other country - Thailand is no longer 'soft'.... Don't chance an overstay, it appears some still don't know that.  

4 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

If you see somebody beeing killed and you can identify the person who committed the crime. isn´t the right thing to come forward and report that?

Answer: Yes, it is! Because of the reason it´s somebody committing a criminal act and therefore breaking the law.

An overstayer is also breaking the law and committing a crime, even if it is not comparable to murder.

I agree about the murderer, but how would you "know" the farang was overstaying?

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

So a Thai grouse turned him in

No evidence that anyone "turned him in." Farang logic. 

he will be deported and the Thais who had been benefiting from his custom will lose out.  Thai logic.

Or by losing a loud, rude, bigoted old cheapskate the Thais who'd been putting up with him will win out. Good riddance. Thai logic.

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

So a Thai grouse turned him in; he will be deported and the Thais who had been benefiting from his custom will lose out.  Thai logic.

From my experience most likely a Farang who snitched,Thai's generally mind their own business as snitching can is a dangerous pass time in LOS.

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

What is the stupid and morbid concentration on how they describe things? What is relevant in that?

What is relevant here is that another overstayer bites the dust, and will be according to the law deported and blacklisted for his arrogance and refusal to live by the rules.

Nobody have asked anybody to spy! Where are you getting that from. People are just asked to report what they know and suspicious circumstances. Same like in any country regarding any kind of criminal offense. But, of course, it sounds much better to explain it like you just did, because then you can put the blame on the Thais instead of the people that is commiting the offense.

Nobody "have" asked anybody to spy? Is that not spying on us when they might be awarded when calling them?

"People are just asked to report"? C'Mon, please give us a break.

You're in no way better than those who make these phone calls.  

Yes, he overstayed and yes, it's against the law. But how much do we know about this guy?

Please leave at least some humanity on this forum. He's not a killer, nor a drug addict, drug dealer, or pedo, etc...

Since when is overstaying a crime? The new Immigration guys just make you believe that it is one.

6 minutes ago, monkfish said:

From my experience most likely a Farang who snitched,Thai's generally mind their own business as snitching can is a dangerous pass time in LOS.

Nope, not necessarily.

There are Facebook and other websites in Thai where for example lonely Thai men get a kick out of foreigners who get arrested because of overstay.

But you're so right. Revenge from an ex gf/wife for leaving her could easily be the reason for them to call this cute number. 

I'm just wondering how many Thais are currently overstaying all over the world? 

31 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

An overstayer is also breaking the law and committing a crime, even if it is not comparable to murder.

However, who are we to dicide which laws should be followed and which ones are important?

Your point while valid belongs in a world of black and white which we don't live in. Thai's legal and moral spectrum by far exceeds the simplicity of your 'black and white' world of absolutes.

Someone who overstays lives in a 'grey area' where they are doing no one any harm and possibly supporting someone - from a moral perspective its difficult to consider this a crime. 

Much like someone who brings in an extra bottle of booze, or forgets to use their indicator at a junction - yes there is a law / regulation which is broken but when using our discretion we can easily consider it so minor not to be worth our attention. 

With the benefit of our intelligence and discretion we can easily consider an overstayer harmless and none of our business (unless they have crossed us in someway or doing something morally reprehensible), while more serious crimes should of course should be reported. 

This is where we have the dichotomy of Thai Policing: 

- Report and overstayer and there is a 5 man response team to arrest him. 

- Report someone beating up their girlfriend and the Police are not interested. 

I know which issue I'm morally bound to report and which one I have no issues ignoring. 

5 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

But how much do we know about this guy?

What does that matter. It can be Zlatan in disguise, a very dangerous bank robber or just a plain nice guy. Totally irrelevant and you can not give him slack because you do not know enough about him. We all know he overstayed, right?

5 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

Since when is overstaying a crime?

Same old same old. You never get it, do you? Overstaying is breaking the law. Since when is it not a criminal act to break the law?

Even if you happen to think it´s a petty thing, it´s not your thing to decide. This is Thialand, and they have their rules. They may not be the same as you want, but you have to abide by them for not get into trouble in Thailand. If you do not like it. Find a country with a law you like, and stop useless complaining all the time.

Just now, Matzzon said:

Same old same old. You never get it, do you? Overstaying is breaking the law. Since when is it not a criminal act to break the law?

Like you never broke a speed limit, drank a beer outside of licensing hours etc...  Crimes !!!

Your exaggerated outrage at someone who has overstayed just to continue your point is a little silly - it's just an overstay. Immigration obviously view it seriously and the guy was foolish, but there are far better, more serious targets for your vitriol. 

It's quite likely this guy could not meet the more strict immigration requirements - I feel sorry for him. Yes, the law is the law but sometimes 'the law can be an ass' (paraphrase).

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Your point while valid belongs in a world of black and white which we don't live in. Thai's legal and moral spectrum by far exceeds the simplicity of your 'black and white' world of absolutes.

Someone who overstays lives in a 'grey area' where they are doing no one any harm and possibly supporting someone - from a moral perspective its difficult to consider this a crime. 

Much like someone who brings in an extra bottle of booze, or forgets to use their indicator at a junction - yes there is a law / regulation which is broken but when using our discretion we can easily consider it so minor not to be worth our attention. 

With the benefit of our intelligence and discretion we can easily consider an overstayer harmless and none of our business (unless they have crossed us in someway or doing something morally reprehensible), while more serious crimes should of course should be reported. 

This is where we have the dichotomy of Thai Policing: 

- Report and overstayer and there is a 5 man response team to arrest him. 

- Report someone beating up their girlfriend and the Police are not interested. 

I know which issue I'm morally bound to report and which one I have no issues ignoring. 

Sure, I agree that the police is doing wrong by not reacting to a call about someone beating up his girlfriend. However, that makes no difference. Just because one thing is not working, you can not agree to allow more things to slip. It´s not your thing ot decide what is more important. I would say both, to comply with the right line of policing.

What you just did with your post was to approve more discretion of the law both for citizens and the police.

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

We can just take an example:

If you see somebody beeing killed and you can identify the person who committed the crime. isn´t the right thing to come forward and report that?

Answer: Yes, it is! Because of the reason it´s somebody committing a criminal act and therefore breaking the law.

Yet you did the comparison, didn't you ????

36 minutes ago, Docno said:

And I'm sure he'll find defenders here who will argue that he just forgot when his visa would be expiring...

A 218 day overstay could happen to anybody......Some times I forget to buy some milk at 7-11 .....He just had minor forgetfulness....

2 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Nobody have asked anybody to spy! People are just asked to report what they know and suspicious circumstances.

That’s the most Thai response you could have given. 

I’ll use your logic next time my wife catches me with another woman. “No dear, we were not having sex. She simply asked me to insert my penis into her vagina and thrust vigorously.”

1 minute ago, dcnx said:

That’s the most Thai response you could have given. 

I’ll use your logic next time my wife catches me with another woman. “No dear, we were not having sex. She simply asked me to insert my penis into her vagina and thrust vigorously.”

This guy does have his own logic that pretty much suc_s.

44 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

What about a foreigner check in and tells some incredible story about not having his passport with him when it´s right in his saddlebag around his waist? Creates suspision, wouldn´t you say?

You give the person behind the desk too much credit. They are not looking in your bag or thinking anything other than what they will eat next or why you’re taking so long because they have Facebook open on their phone and it’s on the desk waiting for them. 

No one is going to know anyone else is overstaying unless they A) spy on them, or B) you brag to the locals that you’re on overstay.

I am pretty sure all those that live here are aware of the burden placed on all of us by immigration so there is little wiggle room to claim lack of knowledge by the guy in question.  It's sad for him that he will not be allowed into Thailand again for 5 years,  but he only has to look in a mirror to see who it is he has to blame. 

Archived