Koh Samui: German visitors still outdoing Chinese on holiday island, Brits in 5th

webfact

3 hours ago, OKF said:

PS: is more the Thais that are not speaking good english and some Thais do not like to work in Service as it maybe to much work

The majority of service workers , and construction workers are from neighbouring countries. Thais just too lazy or above this type of work. In ko tau where I stayed, the staff were from Myanmar. 

But they had good English, well mannered and very friendly.

and we're happy to have a job. The Thais?

13 hours ago, robertson468 said:

My Niece works for Bangkok Airways and came back to Samui for a break herself and confirmed that passengers to the Island are down so far that they are cancelling flights.  So much for TAT's glorious figures!

So much for BKK Airways glorious prices too! ????

22 hours ago, keith101 said:

Those numbers mean an average of 10,084 visitors every day , I've never been there but it seems a huge number to me .

I am working here as an Travel Agent for many many years, those TAT numbers are always very wrong and we dont care about them anymore, it makes us only angry when we read these numbers and we know that its not true at all, off by sometimes 30%! And can the minister explain to us the 1.7 million thais please on Samui per anno ???? which are mentioned in the Samui article ? we are starving here - this is all we know, we got 30.000 registered beds and December until March forecast looks not good. 

15 hours ago, robertson468 said:

My Niece works for Bangkok Airways and came back to Samui for a break herself and confirmed that passengers to the Island are down so far that they are cancelling flights.  So much for TAT's glorious figures!

Bangkok Airways has been cancelling flights during low season every year since I have been here. This is not news.

That is why they always do lots of deals for cheap flights in October and November.

It is what happens next week that is important. High season usually starts on the last two weeks of December.

My year end bookings are as busy as ever.

58 minutes ago, Dennis Dundee said:

I am working here as an Travel Agent for many many years, those TAT numbers are always very wrong and we dont care about them anymore, it makes us only angry when we read these numbers and we know that its not true at all, off by sometimes 30%! And can the minister explain to us the 1.7 million thais please on Samui per anno ???? which are mentioned in the Samui article ? we are starving here - this is all we know, we got 30.000 registered beds and December until March forecast looks not good. 

Unfortunately I think that your summary is correct - for hotels.

Airbnb has demolished the 'normal' holiday business. Villas in the area where I live have been at 70% - 80% occupancy during November. We are usually dead in October/November. I have had to hire extra staff.

The influx of Asian tourists will kill the pub/bar business.

Tourists on what is now the norm for staying on the island (2 - 4 nights) will go to Chaweng once or twice but they will ignore the smaller towns and villages. This was the model 20 years ago, but a large influx of retirees over the years has been a boon for the smaller towns. However, the baht is sending those retirees out of the country.

15 to 20 years ago, businesses had three good months (mid December to mid March) and another few good months in July and August. Hotels and restaurants regularly closed down or laid off staff during the low. We have been lucky to have had some very good years in between but the baht is killing that.

On 12/12/2019 at 12:47 PM, OKF said:

A lot of planes ‚canceled‘ or empty and the ferries empty to.....

Vietnam, 100% occupancy rates in hotels here. They new to build more hotels for high season. THaiLAND made a  situation where people feared being incarcerated and deported for landing by air. All goodwill has been lost. And shaking down tourists all over the country. 

Archived