Appeals Court upholds 16-month prison sentence for Premchai

webfact

Appeals Court upholds 16-month prison sentence for Premchai

000_YV9ZO.jpg

This handout taken by the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation on January 4, 2018 and received on February 6, 2018 shows Premchai Karnasuta (C), CEO of Italian-Thai Development, a Bangkok-based company that helped build Thailand’s Suvarnabhumi airport, being arrested by authorities for poaching in the Thungyai Naresuan national park in Kanchanaburi province. – The Thai construction tycoon has been arrested for poaching in a protected wildlife sanctuary, police said on February 6, as photos of hunting equipment and animal carcasses including a black leopard circulated on social media. (Photo by Handout / Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation (DNP) / AFP)

The Appeals Court has upheld the 16-month prison term, imposed in March by the Thong Pha Thum provincial court on Italian-Thai Development Pcl boss Premchai Karnasuta, for illegal poaching of protected wildlife in the Thung Yai Nareesuan wildlife sanctuary in February last year.

The Appeals Court verdict was read this morning by the Thong Pha Phum provincial court in the presence of Mr. Premchai, his team of lawyers and three other defendants, Yong Dodkrua, Mrs. Nathee Riamsaen and Thanee Thummat.

Also present was Mr. Wichien Chinnawong who, as chief of the wildlife sanctuary, made the arrests.  About 25 policemen from Thong Pha Phum police station were deployed to ensure order and security at the court.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/appeals-court-upholds-16-month-prison-sentence-for-premchai/

thaipbs.jpg

5 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Any money you like he will be out on bail again in no time and who would want to bet that the Supreme Court won't reverse the decision and let the fat git avoid prison?

The article already states all four have been released on bail. I think all the courts are making him dig very deeply into his pocket until the final big payment to the Supreme Court.

How many rich people do time in Thailand?

Highly unusual to see rich people go to prison and I am far from convinced that that is where Premchai will end up. Thai courts are notoriously corrupt and this decision is highly likely to become a suspended sentence or large fine when the final decision comes from the top court. Only when he has run out of appeals and is actually banged up will I believe otherwise.

Construction tycoon gets 2 years 14 months jail for poaching

By THE NATION

800_3c1b01b2cfed8a0.jpg?v=1576128968

Thong Pha Phum Provincial Court in Kanchanaburi province on Thursday (December 12) read the appeal court's ruling in the criminal case filed by Thong Pha Phum district attorney against Italian Thai Development president Premchai Karnasuta and 3 accomplices for trespassing and poaching in Thung Yai Naresuan Wildlife Sanctuary on February 4-6, 2018.

The suspects were arrested with assorted guns and ammunition and the carcasses of a black panther, a barking deer, and a Kalij pheasant, the latter a protected species.

Premchai arrived at court on 8.50am together with his lawyers and proceeded to the hearing chamber immediately. The other 3 defendants in this case, Yong Dodkreu, Nathee Riamsaen and Thanee Thummas were also present.

The appeal court upheld the ruling of a lower court sentencing Premchai to 2 years 14 months jail time on 3 charges: Poaching wild animals in a wildlife sanctuary, possessing the carcass of protected animal (Kalij pheasant), and carrying firearms in public place.

His 3 accomplices were also found guilty in similar charges and got the following sentences: Yong got 2 years 17 months jail time, Nathee got 1 year 8 months jail time with 2 years suspension and Bt40,000 fine, and Thanee got 2 years 21 months jail time.

The court also ordered 4 defendants to pay Bt2 million as damage compensation to the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30379352

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-12-12

43 minutes ago, robblok said:

So far things are not going his way. Too bad a higher court will probably see it his way. But so far its promising. 

Well, little by little the wheel has turned, and it's turning against those who were previously invulnerable - the Thai pooyay.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

sentencing Premchai to 2 years 14 months jail time

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Yong got 2 years 17 months jail time,

Do they understand anything?.....like 3yrs 2 months and 3 yrs 5 months???

Do these journalists have Bachelor's degrees?

16 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

"Maybe if I act like I am really old and frail they will give me a break and I can get back to hiking through the jungle at night."

imageprfghfoxy.php.jpg

What's the betting he will be in a wheelchair at the next appeal,with the "I'm too ill

and frail to go to jail", look on his face,it's a ploy used by the rich and greedy and

some nasty despots.

regards Worgeordie

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The Appeals Court has upheld the 16-month prison term, imposed in March by the Thong Pha Thum provincial court on Italian-Thai Development Pcl boss Premchai Karnasuta, for illegal poaching of protected wildlife in the Thung Yai Nareesuan wildlife sanctuary in February last year.

Io I would have given him 16 years in a maximum security prison!

Premchai detained while waiting for a bail ruling from the Supreme Court

dFQROr7oWzulq5FZYjuvKsS9LMK1UxbQAs1LzIKO

Italian-Thai Development’s Premchai Karnasuta has been detained at Thong Pha Phum district prison, together with two of his fellow accused, while awaiting a ruling by the Supreme Court on their bail application after being sentenced for illegal poaching of protected wildlife in the Thung Yai Narusuan wildlife sanctuary.

The Appeals Court today upheld the lower court’s guilty verdict on Premchai, Yong Dodkrua, Thanee Thummat and Mrs. Nathee Riamsaeng, but increased their prison terms.

Premchai’s prison term was increased from 16 months to two years and 17 months, Yong received 2 years and 17 months instead of 13 months, Thanee received 2 years and 21 months instead of 2 years and 17 months while Mrs Nathee was given a 1 year and 8 month suspended jail term.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/premchai-detained-while-waiting-for-a-bail-ruling-from-the-supreme-court/

thaipbs.jpg

What a difference a couple years makes on the appearance of a man with a sh#t load of legal troubles.

As @Worgordie noted ..... he will be in a wheelchair at the next appeal,with the "I'm too ill

and frail to go to jail".....

I agree, he'll pull a Paul Manafort and arrive at the Supreme Court in a wheelchair and tell of his shingles, hemorrhoids, sore knees, swollen feet, bad gut, stress and every other excuse the fat cat and his paid-for doctor can dream up to excuse him from incarceration.

Looks good on ya' Premchai.

image1 (131).jpeg

If you read the article two posts above yours you will see he is in jail right now. His sentence has also been LENGTHENED. This case is proving people wrong over and over. First they told us it wouldn't go to trial, it wouldn't get a guilty verdict, he wouldn't be sentenced to jail, he wouldn't spend a day in jail, blah blah blah. The "experts" keep moving the goal posts out as the case goes on.

The most important thing to understand is this case has nothing to do with saving black panthers. The poor are killing them left and right and no one cares; it's not newsworthy or prosecuted. Nor does anyone care about the 5 other people that were with him that shot, killed, cooked, and ate it. You only care about busting the rich, not a care in the world for the panthers or equal justice for all. If only people could see their obvious bias.

17 minutes ago, canopy said:

If you read the article two posts above yours you will see he is in jail right now. His sentence has also been LENGTHENED. This case is proving people wrong over and over. First they told us it wouldn't go to trial, it wouldn't get a guilty verdict, he wouldn't be sentenced to jail, he wouldn't spend a day in jail, blah blah blah. The "experts" keep moving the goal posts out as the case goes on.

The most important thing to understand is this case has nothing to do with saving black panthers. The poor are killing them left and right and no one cares; it's not newsworthy or prosecuted. Nor does anyone care about the 5 other people that were with him that shot, killed, cooked, and ate it. You only care about busting the rich, not a care in the world for the panthers or equal justice for all. If only people could see their obvious bias.

I don't know I remember some poor couple being thrown in goal for picking mushrooms.

22 minutes ago, canopy said:

If you read the article two posts above yours you will see he is in jail right now.

It's a good idea to use the "QUOTE" feature as it's pretty difficult, actually impossible, to tell what post you are referring to. "two posts above" is meaningless as others drop in randomly.

36 minutes ago, heybuz said:

I don't know I remember some poor couple being thrown in goal for picking mushrooms.

This is one of the biggest fairy tales on thaivisa. The "mushroom pickers" were never accused, charged, or convicted of picking mushrooms and I defy you to prove otherwise. They were caught red handed illegal logging in the national forest. If old fat fingers premchai said he was picking mushrooms you would be laughing your asses off. Again, different standards where we believe the lies of the poor and give them a free pass.

Archived