Pattaya: Incidents of chikungunya virus on the rise

webfact

Pattaya: Incidents of chikungunya virus on the rise

10pm1.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable YV

Health officials in the Bang Lamung area have told Thai media that many cases of the chikungunya virus have been reported this year. 

From January to the end of October there were 90 cases in Bang Lamung.

The virus that comes from bites from infected mosquitoes is usually most prevalent in the south of Thailand and health officials are warning the public in the Pattaya area to take protective measures after an unusually high number of cases were reported on the eastern seaboard.

Sophon Cable TV stated that cases were also on the rise in Sattahip and Sri Racha districts but no figures were given in their story to support this. 

Nationwide there have been 8,774 cases in the first 10 months of the year. Worst hit provinces were Pattani, Ranong, Tak, Phuket and Songkhla - four of which are in southern Thailand. 

Symptoms of this virus are fever, joint pain, headache and rash about 3 to 7 days after being bitten. Symptoms last for 2 - 3 days.

It is sometimes confused with dengue. 

Chikungunya is generally not fatal but online it is said about the virus:

"It won't kill you, but it may make you wish you were dead".

Sophon said that people infected should not take aspirin and should contact a doctor. 

Source: Sophon Cable TV

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-12-12

One of the main reasons we left Thailand was I had dengue twice and by god the second time I would never wish that on anyone. It effected the way I lived and acted. Trousers not shorts, boots not sandals, vest and shirt not t shirt and not sitting in my beautiful garden. Oh and malaria is another gift but that's like a summer sniffle in comparison. 

Don’t dismiss this as a minor affliction, when every muscle and joint in your body hurts it’s no joke.

Fever, sweating, no appetite, unable to open a twist top bottle, aching and generally feeling about ninety 

I am now back to about 90% after getting this in July, my level of fitness was down to about 50% for a couple of months and I really felt my age.
Treatment is minimal, tablets for pain relief and lots of rest, cover up and get out the bug spray......

I am just starting to recover from this virus and would like to point out that the fever can last 10 - 14 days but the pain can last for weeks, months or even years according to some reports. I have been suffering with joint pain for three weeks and the pain is debilitating to say the least so am hoping my pain will soon diminish enough to enable me to go outside the confines of the house, it really is an understated fever and one to avoid if at all possible.

40 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Interesting thread. In 92 I was diagnosed with an unspecified ailment thought to be Dengue but not confirmed.  Maybe it was this thing. Never heard of it before..

Yes I too got quite ill around 2010, took over 3 weeks to recover, like a very bad flu, I had aches and pains but not the very painful joints attributed to dengue and this infection. More delirious, a lot of sleeping and weakness. Getting the odd mozzie bite is a daily event for me. 

Archived