Re-entry permit for extension possible/valid?

If you extend your visa-exemption stamp 1 week before it ends, and you also get a re-entry permit to go outside the country. If you then apply for a visa at an embassy/consulate in another country, and it gets refused, in theory, is your VE extension and re-entry permit still valid?

7 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Re-entry permits are issued to visitors who entered on a visa exemption?

It may seem strange at first glance, but I would argue Why Not?

E.g. if you entered Visa-exempt via a land-border, but need to exit Thailand 1 week later for a short trip abroad, it might be better for you to keep the 30 day permission to stay alive, than having it voided by exiting the country.

As there are only 2 land-border crossings per calendar year allowed, you might want to preserve one.

13 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Re-entry permit "protects" your current permission of stay. VE has a permission of stay. As does any extension.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:
3 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Re-entry permit "protects" your current permission of stay. VE has a permission of stay. As does any extension.

I'm well aware of the purpose of re-entry permits, I have one myself, my question was whether re-entry permits are given on visa-exempt entries.

3 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

It may seem strange at first glance, but I would argue Why Not?

I wasn't making an argument for, or against it, or asking whether it was logical, I was asking if anyone knew whether they applied to VE entries.  I'm pretty sure that they don't.

Edited by Just Weird

8 hours ago, Just Weird said:

I wasn't making an argument for, or against it, or asking whether it was logical, I was asking if anyone knew whether they applied to VE entries.  I'm pretty sure that they don't.

don't be too sure , because they can be issued against a VE entry. why would it be different to a tourist visa entry

10 hours ago, Just Weird said:

I'm well aware of the purpose of re-entry permits, I have one myself, my question was whether re-entry permits are given on visa-exempt entries.

@ubonjoe> Can you get a re-entry permit to protect your permission to stay from a Visa-Exempt entry?

And for a SETV?

Thanks!

37 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Can you get a re-entry permit to protect your permission to stay from a Visa-Exempt entry?

And for a SETV?

You can get one for a tourist visa entry without a problem.

It might be difficult to get one for a 30 day visa exempt entry at some immigration offices. They might say you should get a new visa exempt entry instead of a re-entry permit.  But in the OP's case he would be getting one for the 30 day extension of visa exempt entry which would be different and should not be a problem.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, ThLT said:

Thanks, this is good to know. I think having a backup (/peace of mind) is definitely worth the 1000฿ for the re-entry permit.

You'll be in the position of being able to confirm the correct answer, please let us know the result after you've applied for the re-entry permit.