What will replace Plastic Bags ?

WhatupThailand

7 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

there is no replacement for me, i need the plastic bags large enough to fit my trashcans

to collect and carry out the trash, i will be buying exactly as many plastic bags

as i up to this point have gotten for free

Yes, this plastic thing goes a lot deeper than they have thought about.

Many replacements for plastic needs to be made, not just food take out.

• Like 2

I will only shop where I can get plastic bags which are by now all fairly biodegradable not that I care.

So my plan is to only patronize places I can get bags because I don't want to have to buy bags for my trash.

Get rid of the inside plastic and outer molded bubble shell plastic packaging. Pretty obvious to me.

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WhatupThailand said:

I think Hemp and Sack Cloth could be the solution, with long lasting bags, easily folded and stored on a motorcycle.

Except that not all of us have a bike or car, or care to carry a backpack around all day.

”Is that an environmentally responsible, multi-reusable, hemp and sack cloth shopping bag in your pocket, or are you just pleased to see me?” - Mae West’s great-granddaughter

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

What a silly question. Not all plastic bags will be outlawed. There is going to be approved plastic bags that can be environmentally broken down.

Apart from that. What will replace todays disappearing part of the plastic bags will be vowen and non vowen bags. Probably foldable, so they can be easily brought to go in the pocket.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tom in bangkok said:

I carry a backpack with a couple of old plastic bags inside. In other countries the stores sell reusable bags made from some kind of tough fabric.

Only thing I'm worried about is having to pay for the plastic bags for my loo bins.

Where I live we flush it down the toilet

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canopy said:

"bio" plastic bags:

1. Studies now prove bio plastic bags don't degrade any faster than ordinary plastic bags. Don't be a fool and believe simply slapping a "bio" tag is some sort of magic wand of truth. Do some googling and learn.
  2. Production of bio plastic bags is the same smoke stack pollution and chemical waste as making ordinary plastics that contaminates the air and waterways. This alone rules out these bags for environmental reasons.
  3. Bio bags are still a choke hazard that will kill innocent infants and wildlife every year like any other plastic bag.

What is so hard about switching to recycled paper and other non-plastic products? Other places around the world have done it. Thailand is just so backwards and hopeless over what to do and so is the expat community. I find it insulting that the multi-use bags sold in stores in Thailand are made from 100% PLASTIC! That is just so stupid using plastic to replace plastic. I am against reducing plastic bags. I am for eliminating them to 0 immediately. And it's just so easy. If we can't figure out how to solve such a simple problem and move on what hope does the world have of ever solving the bigger issues out there. Watching people struggle with such a simple thing is just mind blowing.

there is an issue for thailand specifically,

and that is that its common practice to buy take away soup,

this hot soup is contained in a plastic bag until you get home and consume it.

its going to take research to come up with a replacement that is composable

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

The wife carries a reusable cotton bag in her handbag ,and reusable bags in the car ,she only ever gets plastic bags if we need them as liners for the small rubbish bins at home .

only ever for trash cans you say ?

i have a constant deficit of trash can bags, luckily my hotel provides plastic bags

cause the bags i use to bring home food does not suffice for the trash needed to

be collected and carried out

Unfortunately this action is not about the environment at all. If it was paper bags would be on offer. This is all about companies making more money. 

If the environment was the concern all the black smoke belching buses and trucks would be the first concern followed by air quality control of chemical plants and refineries. Just my opinion of course

Edited by bangsaenguy
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

In my pickup truck (living in rural Thailand you need your own transport) there are 4 cloth shopping bags and 2 larger ones that I use for bulk shopping in my shed.

If I am out local shopping I generally refuse the plastic bags that they want to give me. If the things that I buy are already wrapped in plastic I just take them as they are. If there more than I can carry out comes a cloth bag.

I have been doing my shopping this way for years. The people whose shops I use in the "big" village don't even comment any more or give me odd looks as they did when I started.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

The wife carries a reusable cotton bag in her handbag ,and reusable bags in the car ,she only ever gets plastic bags if we need them as liners for the small rubbish bins at home .

So you're green and eco-friendly when it suits you and when you need plastic bags they're ok?   Classic Thaivisa poster hypocricy!

9 hours ago, canopy said:

"bio" plastic bags:

1. Studies now prove bio plastic bags don't degrade any faster than ordinary plastic bags. Don't be a fool and believe simply slapping a "bio" tag is some sort of magic wand of truth. Do some googling and learn.
  2. Production of bio plastic bags is the same smoke stack pollution and chemical waste as making ordinary plastics that contaminates the air and waterways. This alone rules out these bags for environmental reasons.
  3. Bio bags are still a choke hazard that will kill innocent infants and wildlife every year like any other plastic bag.

What is so hard about switching to recycled paper and other non-plastic products? Other places around the world have done it. Thailand is just so backwards and hopeless over what to do and so is the expat community. I find it insulting that the multi-use bags sold in stores in Thailand are made from 100% PLASTIC! That is just so stupid using plastic to replace plastic. I am against reducing plastic bags. I am for eliminating them to 0 immediately. And it's just so easy. If we can't figure out how to solve such a simple problem and move on what hope does the world have of ever solving the bigger issues out there. Watching people struggle with such a simple thing is just mind blowing.

Plastic bags fall apart in direct sun in a month or two. I've seen this for years in Thai islands. Not saying that's where plastic belongs mind you.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, brokenbone said:

there is no replacement for me, i need the plastic bags large enough to fit my trashcans

to collect and carry out the trash, i will be buying exactly as many plastic bags

as i up to this point have gotten for free

Two words

OK BOOMER

or

Environmental vandal

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, brokenbone said:

what is your procedure for collecting and carry out the garbage ?

i dont know of any other way then to put a plastic bag in the trash can,

and when its full, i tie a simple knot and carry out the trash in that plastic bag,

and insert another plastic bag in the trash can

That is what I do also and I would much rather buy the plastic bags of the right size and shape than reuse crappy supermarket bags.

I have 2 bins that I put 36 by 45 bags into and one is taken to the trash bins on the road side once a week, and the other is for recycled plastic drink bottles and goes out when it is full.

I have 3 plastic baskets which takes care of the glass bottles for recycling and a salvage comes around once a month. He pays us a few baht for the glass bottles, papers and cardboard.

• Like 1

Start charging a fee for the supply of plastic bags, and people will alter their approach. The bags will be used more often, instead of single use.

The impost can be used to fund recycling operations.. The concept has been used successfully with soft drink cans and bottles.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, brokenbone said:

this hot soup is contained in a plastic bag until you get home and consume it.

its going to take research to come up with a replacement that is compostable

Nope. There are countless take home hot soup containers made from fabulous, true bio materials. This one is made from recycled paper.

hs.png.1876edabfb33832f96387967881b7d4d.png

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, canopy said:

"bio" plastic bags:

We don't have much hope..... just read some of the selfish, idiotic and ignorant posts on this thread. 

Most people don't care about the environment, animals suffering and dying from eating plastic, pollution, chopping down all the forests.  I can see why some people want to deny climate change, as they don't have the IQ to understand, but to willingly WANT to harm the planet, animals and nature is showing something immoral and disgusting about their personalities and them as a human being.

From what I am seeing from fellow humans around the world, with mass destruction of nature and so much greed and waste of resources, most of our species are selfish and have little or no compassion for other living things.  

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

From what I am seeing from fellow humans around the world, with mass destruction of nature and so much greed and waste of resources, most of our species are selfish and have little or no compassion for other living things.  

Well said, all of it, and thanks for sharing. I get just a little satisfaction in knowing there is actually another person who sees and understands the unfortunate reality.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, billd766 said:

That is what I do also and I would much rather buy the plastic bags of the right size and shape than reuse crappy supermarket bags.

I have 2 bins that I put 36 by 45 bags into and one is taken to the trash bins on the road side once a week, and the other is for recycled plastic drink bottles and goes out when it is full.

I have 3 plastic baskets which takes care of the glass bottles for recycling and a salvage comes around once a month. He pays us a few baht for the glass bottles, papers and cardboard.

ok, i buy a lot of cappuccino and some other stuff,

i need to carry out at least one full trashcan worth of trash a day, at a bare minimum.

in other words, i consume at least one large plastic bag a day at a bare minimum

• Like 1