What will replace Plastic Bags ?

WhatupThailand

5 hours ago, sirineou said:

I don't understand what's the problem,

When i was a kid me and my parents went to the market with our own reusable bags. Perhaps a small  inconvenience (not really)  but worth it for the return of a cleaner environment. What is the problem you can't afford a couple of reusable bags? too lazy to carry them to the store?  All of a sudden we are concern about the people on motorcycles!! If they can figure out a way to carry flats of eggs, I am sure they will figure out a way to carry reusable bags.

How will you throw out your garbage? Buy Garbage bags. 

Will you be buying as many Garbage bags as you are not using shopping bags?    No !! unless you generate Huge amounts of garbage. and all the garbage bags will end up in the landfill, clearly not all shopping bags do.

Will there still be pollution from the plastic garbage bags? Sure, but it will be a lot less than it is now.

How about places that cell food? Use plastic containers that are recyclable, like they use in the west. It will only add a couple of baht to the price of a meal.

i use at a bare minimum one large plastic bag a day for carry out the garbage,

i can do without small plastic bags and typically decline lest i need it

to transport the cappuccino on the bike back to home,

but i need the large bags to carry out all the cups

• Like 1

10 hours ago, brokenbone said:

ok, i buy a lot of cappuccino and some other stuff,

i need to carry out at least one full trashcan worth of trash a day, at a bare minimum.

in other words, i consume at least one large plastic bag a day at a bare minimum

Living in rural Thailand we don't get the chance to buy cappuccinos etc. Have you thought about buying a coffee machine and making your own coffee? We don't drink enough to justify one so I go with Nescafe 3 in 1 for my 2 cups a day. 

At Makro they sell plastic bags in white 12 x 20, 15 x 30, and in black sizes up to and beyond 36 x 45. I use these sizes as I have 2 different bin sizes in the house, 3 upstairs and 3 downstairs. I also have one in the kitchen.

The day before the trashman calls I change the downstairs bags and the kitchen bag, and put them into a big black bag and take them down as late as possible to the roadside trash bins, (later means less time for the soi dogs to rip them open) as the trashmen come around 05:30.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Living in rural Thailand we don't get the chance to buy cappuccinos etc. Have you thought about buying a coffee machine and making your own coffee? We don't drink enough to justify one so I go with Nescafe 3 in 1 for my 2 cups a day. 

At Makro they sell plastic bags in white 12 x 20, 15 x 30, and in black sizes up to and beyond 36 x 45. I use these sizes as I have 2 different bin sizes in the house, 3 upstairs and 3 downstairs. I also have one in the kitchen.

The day before the trashman calls I change the downstairs bags and the kitchen bag, and put them into a big black bag and take them down as late as possible to the roadside trash bins, (later means less time for the soi dogs to rip them open) as the trashmen come around 05:30.

a cappuccino machine weighs in at 100.000 baht,

and i dont even own the condo, and on top of that i have

too much pain to carry stuff so i usually give away when i move,

not to mention that i have too much pain to stand up to complete the cappuccino.

i gave up the idea of cooking anything myself,

and always buy a fridge with a freezer compartment below

so i dont have to defrost or bend over

Edited by brokenbone
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, brokenbone said:

a cappuccino machine weighs in at 100.000 baht,

and i dont even own the condo, and on top of that i have

too much pain to carry stuff so i usually give away when i move,

not to mention that i have too much pain to stand up to complete the cappuccino.

i gave up the idea of cooking anything myself,

and always buy a fridge with a freezer compartment below

so i dont have to defrost or bend over

I am sorry to hear that you are in pain. It certainly limits what you can do.

A cappuccino machine weighs in at 100.000 baht. Do they really, I had no idea. A few years ago when I was working in NZ I shared a house with a guy and he had a small machine as he, like you liked to drink real coffee and cook as well.

On 12/12/2019 at 1:38 PM, Number 6 said:

I will only shop where I can get plastic bags which are by now all fairly biodegradable not that I care.

So my plan is to only patronize places I can get bags because I don't want to have to buy bags for my trash.

Get rid of the inside plastic and outer molded bubble shell plastic packaging. Pretty obvious to me.

It seems we are being conned about bio degradable bags they aren't what the manufacturer's claim,the latest news is that they are contaminating the compost with micro plastics that's the small green ones that household use to put food waste in.

The larger black ones it's claimed are just not degrading at all or take years and years to break down.

I use tote bags made out of cotton they fold up to the size of a wallet and with a day back pack life is easy and keeps my plastic waste to a minimum.

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

I like my 2 cups of coffee a day so I grind my beans in a electric grinder and then use bio degradable paper filters.

It gets mixed with kitchen waste and fed to my worms. The bags the beans come in go into the plastic waste containers on the street,I fill a big plastic garbage bag about every 10 days with packaging and I don't buy cola etc or bottled water.

It's a eye opener when you start to separate your waste I'm a single pensioner living in the Netherlands it's shocking the amount of packaging I get through in a week and like I say I don't buy any plastic pop or water bottles. In Thailand of course it's another matter I stay in Jomtien and there's a guy on soi 4 who collects the bottles and cans sorts them and I guess can sell them.Otherwise I separate cans and bottles and glass put them in the bags you end up with every time you buy anything in Thailand and leave them for the pickers who rummage through the bins on beach road.

Every little helps.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Plastic bags fall apart in direct sun in a month or two. I've seen this for years in Thai islands. Not saying that's where plastic belongs mind you.

Yes, but they leave behind tiny micro plastic particles, which do not degrade, and end up accumulating in the food chain.  

This is not a problem is they use 'plastic' bags and containers made from cellulose plant materials.   The look, feel, and are as strong as plastic, but totally natural and harmless.  The only reason they don't use these is cost... lack of investment and incentive, as plastic is SOO cheap because its basically a waste produces from the petrochemical industry.  

14 hours ago, brokenbone said:

ok, i buy a lot of cappuccino and some other stuff,

i need to carry out at least one full trashcan worth of trash a day, at a bare minimum.

in other words, i consume at least one large plastic bag a day at a bare minimum

Are you really serious?  At least a full trash can / rubbish bin, or used plastic cappuccino cups A DAY?!

Apart from that not being exactly healthy for you, that is an insane amount of waste you are producing... and you are not in the least concerned about that?

6 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Yes, but they leave behind tiny micro plastic particles, which do not degrade, and end up accumulating in the food chain.  

This is not a problem is they use 'plastic' bags and containers made from cellulose plant materials.   The look, feel, and are as strong as plastic, but totally natural and harmless.  The only reason they don't use these is cost... lack of investment and incentive, as plastic is SOO cheap because its basically a waste produces from the petrochemical industry.  

Are you really serious?  At least a full trash can / rubbish bin, or used plastic cappuccino cups A DAY?!

Apart from that not being exactly healthy for you, that is an insane amount of waste you are producing... and you are not in the least concerned about that?

yes, i produce a lot of waste, the cups take a whole lot of space in the trash can.

tbh the thing i worry about is the calories of cappuccino,

i consume more calories a day from cappuccino then most do on all intake combined,

and its making me freakishly fat

Edited by brokenbone
  • Like 1

On 12/13/2019 at 11:36 AM, bangsaenguy said:

If the environment was the concern all the black smoke belching buses and trucks would be the first concern followed by air quality control of chemical plants and refineries. Just my opinion of course

4 years ago thailand 'bought' 3500 new clean buses...i think now there are 100 of them in BKK...where the others are nobody knows and why they didn't buy new ones or solved the problem is also a secret. I guess nobody wants to sell them to Thailand because of their reputation.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, brokenbone said:

yes, i produce a lot of waste, the cups take a whole lot of space in the trash can.

tbh the thing i worry about is the calories of cappuccino,

i consume more calories a day from cappuccino then most do on all intake combined,

and its making me freakishly fat

I have a solution to suggest to you.... that will save you using up so many plastic rubbish bags, and creating so much waste.

Buy yourself a reusable coffee cup.  You can get really nice ones that are insulated and look trendy too.  

Then you can just get them to fill that one up when you go.  After drinking it, wash it out to use again next time.  That will mean you are not throwing away so many cups every day, and it will not be any inconvenience to you (no more that taking out the rubbish bags every day and having to buy new ones).  

19 hours ago, balo said:

How did we empty the trash before plastic was invented, before 1930?

I should have asked my dad before he passed away. 

Mostly they used newspaper.

Does anyone on this forum actually receive daily printed newspapers anymore?

Edit:

Oh yeah....many people also had backyard incinerators for garbage rather than daily pickup. Another bad idea....Don't look to the past for answers to this problem.  There aren't any.

Edited by Monomial
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Monomial said:

Oh yeah....many people also had backyard incinerators for garbage rather than daily pickup

And Thai's love burning their trash in their front yard to this day. These fires are full of the day's disposable plastic.

7 hours ago, Monomial said:

Don't look to the past for answers to this problem.  There aren't any.

I prefer the old ways as everything was better. Laundry detergent in a cardboard box, not a plastic bag. Eggs in those pulp containers instead of plastic, just everything the natural containers were way better. The thing you have to remember is in modern times we have switched to cheaper, not better. Things may not taste as good, look as good, work as well, or last as long as they used to.

I remember being a kid in the 80s, when you bought fruit and veg in the market it was brown paper bags. Don't see why supermarkets can't do that with fruit and veg today and markets too. I would happily pay a little extra if it covered the cost. Surely there must be a chain somewhere that is going to realise they might actually attract customers doing this. 

Anyone know what the difference in cost between a paper bag and a plastic bag is? 

13 hours ago, bermondburi said:

paper bag

The environmental movement does not want us to use paper bags instead of plastic, because of the danger of deforestation. 

So paper bags are not a final solution, we need something else. 

57 minutes ago, balo said:

The environmental movement does not want us to use paper bags instead of plastic, because of the danger of deforestation. 

Am I missing something here? Does that mean that all paper is bad now too? 

What about plantation for paper where previously there were no trees? 

1 hour ago, balo said:

So were will all the cotton, jute come from and the environmental group always complains that the rest of us have our heads in the sand. I guess the solution is not to go shopping. 

This is all starting to sound like the company i worked for who would give all new employees two propelling pencils. Guys would lose them of leave them on other's desks etc. so we use to go through a few. This raised eyebrows so some suggested printing employees names on pencils. Oh no. Too expensive. 

Some wag in accounting suggested changing from $5 propelling to good old wooden pencils. Brilliant cost saving idea? No. Within a few months almost everyone had a $30+ electric pencil sharpener on their desk.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, balo said:

No they don't.

They want reusable and recyclable packaging and less of it,we all have had ridiculous boxes delivered filled with Bubblé wrap containing something tiny and thats in more plastic.

Plain cardboard and  papers fine it's compostable and recyclable it just needs people to do their bit and not just bin everything or dump it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bermondburi said:

Am I missing something here? Does that mean that all paper is bad now too? 

Yes, some people suggest we should use reusable plastic instead, less of the plastic will pollute the earth and we can keep the trees.