Re-entry visa forgotten

I am assuming that your friend had an extension of his permission to stay based on retirement. If, instead, he has an unexpired visa, he can still use that to enter the country and has no need of a reentry permit.

If he is entitled to a visa exempt entry (what is his nationality?) he will receive 30 days on arrival, and can do a conversion to non immigrant entry, followed by the new one-year extension based on retirement at his local immigration office. If not entitled to a visa exempt entry, he will need to get a visa from an overseas consulate before returning to Thailand. Best would probably be a single entry Non O visa if that is possible where he is spending those three weeks outside Thailand.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I am assuming that your friend had an extension of his permission to stay based on retirement. If, instead, he has an unexpired visa, he can still use that to enter the country and has no need of a reentry permit.

If he is entitled to a visa exempt entry (what is his nationality?) he will receive 30 days on arrival, and can do a conversion to non immigrant entry, followed by the new one-year extension based on retirement at his local immigration office. If not entitled to a visa exempt entry, he will need to get a visa from an overseas consulate before returning to Thailand. Best would probably be a single entry Non O visa if that is possible where he is spending those three weeks outside Thailand.

He is an US citizen.

I am not sure if I understand you right. I, as a German, always buy a re-entry visa if I leave the country (2 times a year). So he has to go to the next Thai embassy or consulate and apply for a new single entry Non O visa. To enter the country as a normal tourist, go to the immigration office and talk to them is not a good idea I guess.

Edited by CNXexpat
  • Like 1

Regardless whether your friend arrives with a non-O visa or a tourist visa or visa-exempt, he will have to go to his immigration office to get back on yearly retirement extensions. The non-O visa will save him one step and THB 2,000 in this process.

He should, however, avoid being talked into getting a non-immigrant visa O-A by the Thai embassy, as this would make it necessary for him to buy the newly required Thai health insurance. If they won't give him the non-O visa, the tourist visa or visa-exempt entry are his remaining choices.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If he is in the US now he will not be able to get a non-o visa anywhere while there. They do not issue them.

His only choice will be to either apply for a single entry tourist visa or enter visa exempt. Then apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration. Then during the last 30 days of the 90 days apply for a new extension of stay based upon retirement.

Joe, a friend of mine is under the impression he can get a Non-O from the Thai consulate in New York.  Looking at the following website, it does appear to be available.  You have to drill down to find the visa page, but this is what it says...

http://www.thaiconsulnewyork.com/

NON-IMMIGRANT VISA

VISA FEE               US$80 (Single Entry) US$200 (Multiple Entry)(Cash or US 

Postal Service money order only)

PERIOD OF STAY     Permitted up to 90 days

EXTENSION OF STAY  The extension is allowed up to one year since your entry into Thailand. You must file a request at the Office of Immigration Bureau before your authorized stay expires. Extending your stay and changing the type of visa is solely at the discretion of the Immigration officer. Find out the Immigration Office near where you stay in Thailand.

APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS   

1. Visa application form (DOWNLOAD) 

2. One passport-size photograph (2” x 2”) taken not more than 6 months.  The photograph must show a light color background with a full-face view without wearing a hat or dark glasses.

3. Required documents to be submitted.  To fine out your list of documents, please click at the corresponding purpose of your travel in the provided table below.

Is this the official website for the consulate? Or if it is official, is the information out of date?

21 minutes ago, Scott424 said:

Joe, a friend of mine is under the impression he can get a Non-O from the Thai consulate in New York.  Looking at the following website, it does appear to be available.  You have to drill down to find the visa page, but this is what it says...

http://www.thaiconsulnewyork.com/

NON-IMMIGRANT VISA

VISA FEE               US$80 (Single Entry) US$200 (Multiple Entry)(Cash or US 

Postal Service money order only)

PERIOD OF STAY     Permitted up to 90 days

EXTENSION OF STAY  The extension is allowed up to one year since your entry into Thailand. You must file a request at the Office of Immigration Bureau before your authorized stay expires. Extending your stay and changing the type of visa is solely at the discretion of the Immigration officer. Find out the Immigration Office near where you stay in Thailand.

APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS   

1. Visa application form (DOWNLOAD) 

2. One passport-size photograph (2” x 2”) taken not more than 6 months.  The photograph must show a light color background with a full-face view without wearing a hat or dark glasses.

3. Required documents to be submitted.  To fine out your list of documents, please click at the corresponding purpose of your travel in the provided table below.

Is this the official website for the consulate? Or if it is official, is the information out of date?

Scroll further down the page and you'll find it's not available for the purpose of retirement.

53 minutes ago, Scott424 said:

That is only the general requirements.

If you scroll down the page to non-o visas you will only see these 2 reasons for it to be  issued.

image.png.322fc05c9ae3d88ae15a51bb2d7edca8.png

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, natway09 said:

If I have posted once, I have posted 1000 times, when you get your visa extension pop around & get a multiple reentry straight away.

Then when anything should happen & need to leave unexpectedly already done.

To those that say too expensive, maybe you are in the wrong country

Agree entirely. Every year I renew my ret ex + multi re-entry. Then can come and go as often as I want.

On 12/13/2019 at 7:31 AM, ubonjoe said:

If he is in the US now he will not be able to get a non-o visa anywhere while there. They do not issue them.

His only choice will be to either apply for a single entry tourist visa or enter visa exempt. Then apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration. Then during the last 30 days of the 90 days apply for a new extension of stay based upon retirement.

I got a 3-month single entry non-o visa in Miami this year. 

On 12/13/2019 at 2:55 PM, natway09 said:

If I have posted once, I have posted 1000 times, when you get your visa extension pop around & get a multiple reentry straight away.

Then when anything should happen & need to leave unexpectedly already done.

To those that say too expensive, maybe you are in the wrong country

No point in getting a multi re-entry if you have no plans to leave.

If you want insurance against forgetting get a single 

• Like 2