3-year-old Cambodian girl killed in construction site accident

webfact

3-year-old Cambodian girl killed in construction site accident

By The Nation

800_492c87bd185fc0a.jpg?v=1576154696

The three-year-old daughter of Cambodian workers was crushed to her death by a truck at a construction site, Muang Samut Prakan Police Station in Samut Prakan province were informed on Thursday (December 12).

Police found the mother of the girl holding her body when they went to the site. A bronze Toyota truck with bloodstains on its wheel was also spotted at the scene.

Kumterm Tridech, 53, owner of the truck, reportedly told police that he and his workers had brought steel and metal sheets to the construction site, but when he was driving out, he was unable to see if there was a child due to the height of the truck.

He said he was informed about the accident at the construction site and immediately returned to check the situation.

The girl was the child of a Cambodian couple who worked at that site. The parents reportedly had to leave the child unattended because of their work shifts, letting her play with other children near the site.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30379368

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-12-13

3 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

How tragic, poverty and desperation causing the death of a child. 
I guess there will be no insurance or compensation involved.

Beyond sad.

Yes it's sad but you can't expect the truckdriver or his insurance to pay for this...children don't belong on a constructionsite, period.

Our security guard brings his babies to work at night, he let's them play in the park...if one runs onto the road and gets under a car it's his own fault imo.

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Poverty or bad parenting ?

Neither... it's the reality of migrant families having to work for a living with young kids in a non-nanny state where creches at constructions sites are not available.

7 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

How tragic, poverty and desperation causing the death of a child. 
I guess there will be no insurance or compensation involved.

Beyond sad.

...and no in-site safety for workers as well. I've seen children, indeed entire families, camped out at highrise construction sites. The officials that are responsible allow these dangerous practices to continue and this os the result. Perhaps another German documentary exposing poor worker safety will get some reaction.

5 hours ago, Thian said:

Yes it's sad but you can't expect the truckdriver or his insurance to pay for this...children don't belong on a constructionsite, period.

Our security guard brings his babies to work at night, he let's them play in the park...if one runs onto the road and gets under a car it's his own fault imo.

I'm so glad you're not a judge and that your opinion doesn't matter. Everything you just said was based on your personal feelings on appropriateness and nothing more.

If the company didn't keep children off a site, it's their fault. Period. If their employees allowed that to happen, they're still liable. They should have hired other employees who wouldn't let that happen. 

If your security guard's baby is runover on the road, the driver's insurance will be liable because it happened on a road. I don't know how you can think otherwise. Driver's are responsible for not hitting pedestrians. This is a very strong law in Thailand.

1 hour ago, bkk7 said:

If your security guard's baby is runover on the road, the driver's insurance will be liable because it happened on a road. I don't know how you can think otherwise. Driver's are responsible for not hitting pedestrians. This is a very strong law in Thailand.

So if i drive there at night, baby runs under my car then i also have a trauma for the rest of my life.

We pay the security to make this moobaan safe, nothing else....he has to guard our houses, not watch his babies.

12 minutes ago, Thian said:

So if i drive there at night, baby runs under my car then i also have a trauma for the rest of my life.

We pay the security to make this moobaan safe, nothing else....he has to guard our houses, not watch his babies.

And you are supposed to watch the road so you don't run over anyone or anyone's babies.

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

Why would you 'guess' that?

Because workers compensation is almost non existent, child would not be covered by that, were the parents legally employed,  poor record keeping, insurance company would argue child should not be on work site, you full well know why. 

13 hours ago, Thian said:

Why you can't expect any compensation from the truck driver's insurance? He has caused a fatal accident. It doesn't matters that the kid didn't belong to that construction site. It could be anyone else.

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Kumterm Tridech, 53, owner of the truck, reportedly told police that he and his workers had brought steel and metal sheets to the construction site, but when he was driving out, he was unable to see if there was a child due to the height of the truck.

He has admitted that he couldn't see what was around his truck but he continued his way.
First rule, if you can't see what is around you, you have to stop. Why he didn't took one of his workers to guide him out?

Very easy, quick and simple solution and it had saved a young life.

Blimey, I have just woken up, they are from Cambodia. They will be lucky if they don't get kicked out of the country.

29 minutes ago, OttoPollmann said:

Why you can't expect any compensation from the truck driver's insurance? He has caused a fatal accident. It doesn't matters that the kid didn't belong to that construction site. It could be anyone else.

He has admitted that he couldn't see what was around his truck but he continued his way.
First rule, if you can't see what is around you, you have to stop. Why he didn't took one of his workers to guide him out?

Very easy, quick and simple solution and it had saved a young life.

Blimey, I have just woken up, they are from Cambodia. They will be lucky if they don't get kicked out of the country.

Well construction sites belong to dumptrucks, not to little kids.

They can't work if they have to watch our for little kids all day long, nobody there can...the guy in charge should have kicked that family off the premises because it's too dangerous to work like that.

In Holland the insurance wouldn't cover this because it's the parents fault, not the driver....

Yes they should get kicked out of the country, now the driver has a trauma and can never work fast again on a construction site.

18 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Because workers compensation is almost non existent, child would not be covered by that, were the parents legally employed,  poor record keeping, insurance company would argue child should not be on work site, you full well know why. 

Company owners frequently pay compensation to damaged parties and it's very likely that the Cambodian workers were legally employed.  "Poor record keeping"?  What?  

You full well know that the family being compensated is just as likely as not.

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

Company owners frequently pay compensation to damaged parties and it's very likely that the Cambodian workers were legally employed.  "Poor record keeping"?  What?  

You full well know that the family being compensated is just as likely as not.

My experience of illegal workers, no records kept, and the insurance company would argue they have no liability, so No if do not believe that they will be compensated.

When I grew up I never realized or knew that there were kids who didn’t have a parent who stayed at home 24/7... 

I don’t know that I’d call this “bad parenting” per se... but I also don’t give the parents a wholesale “pass” on some measure of responsibility for the safety of their kids.

i DO also agree that an active construction site isn’t the proper place for children (unless in an approved and separated play space for example) .... but I also can’t turn a blind eye to the hard economic realities especially those on the lowest rungs -  however ugly those realities may be... some parents are just in cases where their kids quite simply have no other choice other than to go to work with mom/dad.

The truck driver to me doesn’t get a wholesale pass either... as the operator of the vehicle, the safe operation ultimately falls to you.... if your vehicle has limited view then you (the driver) have that burned to insure you can safely operate it.

Archived