Visa to Vietnam from Bangkok - British passport holder

British passport holder here.

Do I need a visa to travel from Bangkok to Hanoi in Vietnam?

I am also on a retirement visa here in Thailand and I am going for a few days holiday,also does anyone know how big the visa is ( full page) as I am running out of pages in my passport.

Thanks in advance

Jim- My son and I went to vietnam , and yes you need a visa. Go to the vietnam emmbassy website, you can download a form which you have to fill out and email back. once you get the ok, you bring it with you when you land and go to immigration. Also the visa is a fullpage stick on-

1 minute ago, john thom said:

Jim- My son and I went to vietnam , and yes you need a visa. Go to the vietnam emmbassy website, you can download a form which you have to fill out and email back. once you get the ok, you bring it with you when you land and go to immigration. Also the visa is a fullpage stick on-

I heard the British passport holders only need a stamp and no visa, or does this not apply if you live abroad?

Until 30 June 2021, ‘British Citizen’ passport holders travelling for tourism or business can enter Vietnam for up to a maximum of 15 days (inclusive of dates of entry and exit) without a visa. If you have a different type of British nationality – for example ‘British national (overseas)’ you’ll need to get a visa before entering Vietnam.

7 hours ago, jimbob333 said:

So no visa just turn up?

depending on your country of origin.

Vietnam visa free for 14 days: Brunei, Myanmar. Visa free approves for 15 days: Sweden ,Denmark, Russian, Norway, UK, Finland, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Spain. Vietnam visa for 21 days and free for: Philippines. Free visa for 30 days: Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos.

British passport is 14 days on arrival. Just walk straight up to the passport control counters. There will be two stamps: one on entry, one placed adjacent to this on exit. Each stamp is rectangular, 4cmx3cm and a "Permitted to stay until..." stamp immediately underneath. Will consume approx 30% of a passport page. It's free.

If you wish to stay longer than 14 days, you'll need a tourist visa organised in advance. That takes a page of the passport and requires another delay at Tan Son Nhut airport whilst you pay and they place the sticker in your passport

On the 14 day visa you cannot return and use the same visa class in less than 30 days.

Hope this helps.

13 hours ago, jimbob333 said:

Until 30 June 2021, ‘British Citizen’ passport holders travelling for tourism or business can enter Vietnam for up to a maximum of 15 days (inclusive of dates of entry and exit) without a visa. If you have a different type of British nationality – for example ‘British national (overseas)’ you’ll need to get a visa before entering Vietnam.

So having entered this way, is it easy to extend? Or is it better to get a longer visa before going?

15 hours ago, jimbob333 said:

I heard the British passport holders only need a stamp and no visa, or does this not apply if you live abroad?

I have travelled to Vietnam 3 times without a visa. British passport holders can enter Vietnam without a visa for holiday purposes for up to 15 days.

16 hours ago, domu said:

Here is the list of visa requirements per country

https://www.myvietnamvisa.com/visa-requirements.html

Apparently the western EU countries + Russia and Belarus citizens get a 15 days visa exemption, the ASEAN 30 days

that's not entirely correct; many EU countries do not get exemption e.g Netherlands, Belgium and Luxemburg do need to apply for a visa 

57 minutes ago, sandyf said:

On visa exempt be prepared for the IO to ask to see return flight details.

As a British passport holder, the OP qualifies for a 15 day visa-exempt entry, small entry and exit stamps ie. roughly the same size as Thai Immigration's entry and exit stamps.

The OP must present proof of return travel to Vietnam Immigration on arrival. This can be either a printed hard copy or the booking reference displayed on a smartphone.

13 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Thanks. What are the requirements for the VOA?

Get a letter of invitation from one of the visa agencies like Vietnampro. You apply online, costs 15 $, takes 2 days. You print out the letter and present it with a photo, filled out application form plus 25$ to the VOA counter at any international Airport (VOA not accepted at land borders). The invitation might also be necessary at check-in when you fly to Vietnam, the airlines always ask for it, unless you are eligible for a visa exemption. 

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

As a British passport holder, the OP qualifies for a 15 day visa-exempt entry, small entry and exit stamps ie. roughly the same size as Thai Immigration's entry and exit stamps.

The OP must present proof of return travel to Vietnam Immigration on arrival. This can be either a printed hard copy or the booking reference displayed on a smartphone.

Vietnamese immigration used to ask to see proof of return flight, but nowadays are pretty lax about, although airlines might want to see one. 

6 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

Get a letter of invitation from one of the visa agencies like Vietnampro. You apply online, costs 15 $, takes 2 days. You print out the letter and present it with a photo, filled out application form plus 25$ to the VOA counter at any international Airport (VOA not accepted at land borders). The invitation might also be necessary at check-in when you fly to Vietnam, the airlines always ask for it, unless you are eligible for a visa exemption. 

Or you can buy an evisa directly from the official Government website, print at home and go straight to Immigration Desk, that costs $25, not $15 + $25 and is quicker.

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/web/guest/khai-thi-thuc-dien-tu/cap-thi-thuc-dien-tu

19 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Or you can buy an evisa directly from the official Government website, print at home and go straight to Immigration Desk, that costs $25, not $15 + $25 and is quicker.

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/web/guest/khai-thi-thuc-dien-tu/cap-thi-thuc-dien-tu

Couldn't you tell me 2 days ago? I just bought one for 12 usd again. So these websites get it from here too?

2 minutes ago, tabarin said:

Couldn't you tell me 2 days ago? I just bought one for 12 usd again. So these websites get it from here too?

No they just sell a letter, you then pay for the visa on arrival in Vietnam.
This question has been asked, and answered with the official link, numerous times on this forum. 

Archived