Popular Hua Hin bun seller packing them in! "Yai Muay" swears by charcoal

webfact

Popular Hua Hin bun seller packing them in! "Yai Muay" swears by charcoal

8pm.jpg

Picture: Talknewsonline

Talknewsonline reported that there were large queues of people waiting for delicious steamed buns at the stall of a very popular Hua Hin grannie. 

The cool season was making life particularly busy for Suikim Sae-Ngow better known to locals as "Yai Muay" who is still going strong in her 81st year. 

She sells the buns - known as "Salapao" in Thai - at the downtown Chatchai market. 

She said that she was brought up in the Hua Hin area after her mother emigrated from China. 

She has been selling buns since she was a young woman - well over 40 years. She remembers she used to sell them for 5 baht each - now they are 20 baht.

8pm1.jpg

Picture: Talknewsonline

They are stuffed with minced pork and her children have helped adjust the flavor to a popular modern day taste. 

She sells 300 - 400 a day always doing a roaring trade. 

And her secret of success?

She shuns the use of gas reckoning that everything tastes better by using traditional charcoal. 

Source: Talknewsonline

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-12-13

44 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Even when boiling the water for steaming the buns?  :biggrin:

The Travelers Almanac for Siam, 1893:

"A visitor, to this land of the unusual and peculiar, should be prepared to avail themselves of a considerable volume of eye rolling and walking away"

When I read the headline, I knew it was this lady.  Her sidewalk "shop" is 20 meters down from my condo.  Whenever I walk in that direction I go on the other side of the street due to the terrible smoke coming off her charcoal fire.  She does have a crowd most days, but I won't be partaking.

23 hours ago, Enoon said:

The Travelers Almanac for Siam, 1893:

"A visitor, to this land of the unusual and peculiar, should be prepared to avail themselves of a considerable volume of eye rolling and walking away"

The amount of eye rolling I have done has caused dizziness at times...

Archived