Department of Health suggests wearing masks to protect against PM 2.5

webfact

Department of Health suggests wearing masks to protect against PM 2.5

By THE NATION

800_a1999e7ad67cdc4.jpg?v=1576200742

With the PM 2.5 dust particle value once again exceeding the standard in Bangkok and surrounding areas, Department of Health director-general Dr Panpimol Wipulakorn predicted on Thursday (December 12) that the air pollution would escalate this weekend.

“Currently the PM 2.5 level is at 101-200 by air quality index (AQI) standard, indicated by the orange color, and will start to affect the health if people are exposed to the air for too long,” she said. “Since there aren’t many strong winds during winter, the air will become stagnant and the dust particles will settle in instead of being blown away in the next few days.”

The director-general further suggested that people in risk groups should avoid staying outdoors for extended periods. “Risk groups include small children, the elderly, pregnant women, people with asthma, allergy, conjunctivitis and coronary diseases, as well as those who have to work outdoors for extended hours,” she said. “When entering areas with danger-level dust particles, please wear N95 masks and make sure to wear them correctly and change the mask after 1-2 days of use.”

“Most importantly, do not wear any kind of masks when exercising outdoors, since the mask will make you breathe harder and faster which could affect the heart,” she added.

Citizens are advised to monitor themselves and their close friends and family for air pollution related symptoms. “If you or anyone are suffering from such symptoms as frequent coughing, difficulty breathing, chest pain, heart palpitations, nausea or dizziness, see a doctor immediately,” Panpimol added.

Related Story: PM 2.5 revisited as weather warms up

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-12-13

1 hour ago, mok199 said:

Getting harder and harder to live around this ridiculousness...

Quite literally so. And there's no hope in sight, burning season is here. Or maybe it's the annual turning on of the diesel cars as per some TVF posters. 

Its now the Season of what thai politics is all about for all to see in all its glory of how they dont actually ever do anything at all yet all get a pay check. Its sickening.

Stop the burning, stop blamming diesels, go to school or something and learn that spraying water is ridiculous and that prolonged use of masks that individuals are forced to wear arent actually good for you in the long run. Stop the dam farm, rubbish and forest fires aholes!

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The director-general further suggested that people in risk groups should avoid staying outdoors for extended periods. “Risk groups include small children, the elderly, pregnant women, people with asthma, allergy, conjunctivitis and coronary diseases, as well as those who have to work outdoors for extended hours,

Should they call in sick until the air quality is better?

“Most importantly, do not wear any kind of masks when exercising outdoors, since the mask will make you breathe harder and faster which could affect the heart,” she added.

I thought the whole point about masks was to wear them outdoors. Or are we supposed to leave them off when walking around or cycling and inhale massive amounts of the dangerously polluted air the Department of Health does absolutely nothing to clean up.

What a waste of taxpayer money these idiots are.

58 minutes ago, howbri said:

I was told by a doctor that masks are useless. The particulates are too small.

Quite right. If the mask/respirator does not have N95 written on it then it is quite likely useless. N95 indicates that it will stop 95% of PM2.5 particles. They are readily obtainable from hardware stores for a pittance.

6 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Quite literally so. And there's no hope in sight, burning season is here. Or maybe it's the annual turning on of the diesel cars as per some TVF posters. 

Yeah sad as it is, I think Im out of here in the first part of March. The bad air screws with my activities. I think next year I will spend time in Cambo.

21 hours ago, webfact said:

“Currently the PM 2.5 level is at 101-200 by air quality index (AQI) standard, indicated by the orange color, and will start to affect the health if people are exposed to the air for too long,” she said.

I wonder of T.A.T will mention this in their 2020 glossy brochure?

13 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Yeah sad as it is, I think Im out of here in the first part of March. The bad air screws with my activities. I think next year I will spend time in Cambo.

I'm with you on that, looking to go south for a couple of months with the family during March/April, would like to actually go come February when they start really burning the rice and sugarcane, plan B will eventually come into play if it gets really bad as it ain't worth the long term health effects to stay here with the kids.

I download the IQAir AirVisual app the other day and I see my area at 99 this morning, unhealthy, and I look at back home, 43 healthy, and burning season here hasn't started, yesterday it was 127 or 137 

Archived