Explainer: Reality check for Johnson's Brexit: it's just the beginning

webfact

6 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

Pity that you didn't reply to my post. 

Anyway enjoy the moment of pyrrhus victory 

You didn't ask a question just gave a statement. I also have a life outside of TV and can't sit waiting for a post to pop up.

The moment as you put it is sweet but not unexpected, except for the left wing media and some posters on here, who are not in touch with the man of the streets in the UK and live in a bubble.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone fancy a list of things of things that could change.

1. At the moment under EU rules when you're flying within the EU if your flight is delayed by more than 3 hours you can claim. After the end of 2020 this rule, already under pressure from the airlines, may be changed in UK to keep the airlines happy and compensation for delays might disappear.

Add more possible changes if you wish.

Edit. No laws/rules can be changed before the end of 2020.

17 hours ago, rhyddid said:

BS BJ problems will not be much with EU, but more internal.
Conservatives are to happy to look at the picture of votes, Labour to sad to see the reality, but the real winner here has be the one who want to break apart from UK and Scotts votes show it clearly they got support from Irish votes and Welsh votes, all want to move away from "insane London hysterical policies" 

BS BJ got the majority, but all we know how it works, lets seat watch very interesting development will happen and as i predicted BS BJ, delay in Brexit, then BS BJ winning the elections, next will be Scotts hard pressure to move away which will force the wigged blonde into a party and brexit "mildew" as well if BS BJ removed Scotts will be out of UK by 2021.

BS BJ will be remembered the one who broke apart UK and brought it to a financial disgrace with excellent joy and profits of US multinationals that will get everything UK got for few quids.

I guess your a remainer then.

3 hours ago, Jack100 said:

Oh dear , it is all so complicated , I hope the price of beer doesn't go up !

????

I reckon if the 'leave' happens as per BJ's timing the business and financial side will get sorted. Neither side wants to lose anything. It's the little things that people didn't think about that are going to become an annoyance.

After 2020 travelling to the EU will most likely mean applying, and paying , for a visa instead of just jumping in your car or getting on a plane and going. That's only one thing. Lots of other annoying things, compared to now will change.

Workers from EU who freely came and worked the harvest seasons will probably need visas etc and kowing governments they will be expensive and done on line etc that a lot of them will not understand etc etc.

Yes I'm a remainer but the vote to leave was done and 99% didn't know what they were voting for.

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

????

I reckon if the 'leave' happens as per BJ's timing the business and financial side will get sorted. Neither side wants to lose anything. It's the little things that people didn't think about that are going to become an annoyance.

After 2020 travelling to the EU will most likely mean applying, and paying , for a visa instead of just jumping in your car or getting on a plane and going. That's only one thing. Lots of other annoying things, compared to now will change.

Workers from EU who freely came and worked the harvest seasons will probably need visas etc and kowing governments they will be expensive and done on line etc that a lot of them will not understand etc etc.

Yes I'm a remainer but the vote to leave was done and 99% didn't know what they were voting for.

UK passport holders did not need visas for most EU holiday travels pre EEC/EU ... no good reason for that to change.

I don't think that as much as 99% of remainers didn't know what they were voting for .... but there were a lot. 

34 minutes ago, nauseus said:

UK passport holders did not need visas for most EU holiday travels pre EEC/EU ... no good reason for that to change.

I don't think that as much as 99% of remainers didn't know what they were voting for .... but there were a lot. 

except that countries are bit more wary now than then, who they let across the Schengen border are normally subject

to some degree of scrutiny,

but agree,

should not be necesary to hamper UK passportholders with visas

23 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

except that countries are bit more wary now than then, who they let across the Schengen border are normally subject

but agree,

Didn't the Tories recently promise to introduce visas for EU citizens when they want to visit the UK? I guess the EU will return the favour....

1 hour ago, melvinmelvin said:

but agree,

If the EU expect visas for a 2 week holiday then the UK may ask for the same. Scrutiny is fine at any border. 

On 12/13/2019 at 7:41 PM, sawadee1947 said:

It was indeed an overwhelming victory for Boris. 

However integrity, decency and sincerity lost. 

What a shame for Britain. 

In what way were integrity, decency and sincerity lost, and why is it a shame for Britain?

On 12/13/2019 at 8:38 PM, elliss said:

The honeymoon ,  will not last for long , before reality kicks in .

Gbp ,  already falling from it,s short time high .

Expats , transfer now ...

What on earth do you mean?  The £ against the baht is 40.33 this morning, as at 08.30 am on 16th December.  Your post was made THREE days ago and the £ has barely budged from then.  Stop the absurd speculation and fear-mongering.  

16 hours ago, overherebc said:

Really, I am so fed up to the back teeth with smug but now panicking <deleted> trotting out this guff. It's so arrogant to think they know better than those who voted differently to them.  Hopefully this silly sort of posts will stop now Brexit will become a reality.

And anyway, how do you make 14.2 million people into 99% of the UK population?  Maths not your strong suit?

On 12/14/2019 at 5:22 AM, Stargrazer9889 said:

Reality check, just how rich are all the EU countries, Germany, okay, Switzerland, Ok.

How about the rest, are they well away from bankruptcy, or is only Greece, Italy, and

a few others close to it?  Just wondering.

Geezer

Switzerland are not in the EU, nor are they ever likely to be.

6 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

Really, I am so fed up to the back teeth with smug but now panicking <deleted> trotting out this guff. It's so arrogant to think they know better than those who voted differently to them.  Hopefully this silly sort of posts will stop now Brexit will become a reality.

And anyway, how do you make 14.2 million people into 99% of the UK population?  Maths not your strong suit?

Oh settle petal

The vast majority voted leave on some mis-guided belief that Britain still ruled the waves. 2nd world war Spirit of the Blitz. Vote leave, that will keep all those foreign johnnies out and Britain will suddenly become white and lead the world again. We'll show those 'continentals' who we are.

Same as the idiots who want an independent Scotland after watching 'Braveheart'

Those are my opinions and if you don't like them, I have others.

There are two things about Johnson’s ‘Brexit promises’ to keep in mind:

1. Johnson never struggles when keeping a promise becomes difficult, he simply re-brands his promise as a ‘figure of speech’ then abandons it.

2. The division within the Tory party over Brexit options has not gone away.

On 12/13/2019 at 3:12 PM, Foghorn said:

I hope the MPs that betrayed the people have lost their jobs

Most of them did. It served them right.

They ignored the Tory party voices, they ignored their constituency voices and then had the temerity to go back to their constituency and expect to be voted back in.

4 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Vote leave, that will keep all those foreign johnnies out and Britain will suddenly become white and lead the world again. We'll show those 'continentals' who we are.

Britain is one of the most multicultural countries in the world. Always has been even in Victorian times. Brexit has little to do with multiculturalism. It has to do with sovereignty. Yes maybe Britains have an island mentality because they have a real border with Europe, water. 

Anyway it is what they voted for rightly or wrongly. It is called democracy. 

On 12/13/2019 at 7:41 PM, sawadee1947 said:

It was indeed an overwhelming victory for Boris. 

However integrity, decency and sincerity lost. 

What a shame for Britain. 

Where do you think integrity, decency and sincerity fits in with all the other parties, or is it solely because the Tories won such a large majority?

On 12/13/2019 at 9:35 PM, sawadee1947 said:

Of course not. 

The present bunch of polititians are not representing those virtues. 

Sure it was Boris starting with a style copied from Donald. He divided UK and lost Scotland just following his ego-trip. 

The UK was divided before Boris got into power.

Having JC and Labour plus Jo Swinson with the Lib/Dems as the opposition did a lot in favour of the Tories.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/election-2019-50800063/labour-s-john-mcdonnell-i-own-this-disaster

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/election-2019-50794645/former-labour-mp-phil-wilson-jeremy-corbyn-lost-me-my-seat

13 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

There are two things about Johnson’s ‘Brexit promises’ to keep in mind:

1. Johnson never struggles when keeping a promise becomes difficult, he simply re-brands his promise as a ‘figure of speech’ then abandons it.

2. The division within the Tory party over Brexit options has not gone away.

Nobody knows the real Boris yet, he took over as leader of the Tories with barely a majority and he has single handedly saved the party from total extinction, the boy done good. Now he needs to be given a chance and not constantly lambasted by all who don't like him, obviously most of the country do like him but "maybe they didn't know what they were voting for or were just too stupid to know better, or even didn't understand the question on the ballot paper", maybe they couldn't read, afteral they were Northerners.

8 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Britain is one of the most multicultural countries in the world. Always has been even in Victorian times. Brexit has little to do with multiculturalism. It has to do with sovereignty. Yes maybe Britains have an island mentality because they have a real border with Europe, water. 

Anyway it is what they voted for rightly or wrongly. It is called democracy. 

And as Churchill said

One of the best arguements against democracy is a five minute chat with the average voter.

I just feel that not enough information on the vote was given by politicians and the press etc.

In or out I actually don't care but I do have the feeling in the coming months and couple of years we are going to hear the 'but that's not what we voted for' cry coming from both sides of the fence.

On 12/14/2019 at 5:19 PM, sawadee1947 said:

5555 yeah, and some are still there as you mentioned 

This is a backyard shed?

Must be a high tech garden shed then.

https://www.visitthemalverns.org/attraction/morgan-motor-company-factory-tours/

On 12/14/2019 at 5:35 PM, sawadee1947 said:

I don't think you are right. 

As it was written in all media (and foreign) British were tired to listen to all the lies no matter where it comes from. They wanted an end of all this tormoil. Therefore the voted for Boris who got the advantage that people don't like Corbyn same as half of Labour followers. However the young ones favoured him. 

Anyway Brexit is not done at all. I have my doubts that up to June there will be hard facts how to go on. If not there will be no end of 2020 and the endless story will continue. 

So again I strongly believe UK voted for an end of a hung parliament and therefore for Boris and not because they are too stupid! 

Ah, so it was the medias fault that caused The Tory majority.

You can try to spin it anyway you wish but the majority voted Tory, even some of those constituencies that never voted for anybody else BUT Labour, Even Bolsover where Dennis Skinner was MP for nearly 50 years voted Tory.

Why do you find it so difficult to accept that Labour and the Remainers lost, and then get on with your life.

17 hours ago, overherebc said:

????

quote "Yes I'm a remainer but the vote to leave was done and 99% didn't know what they were voting for."

Same old, same old story.

The remainers lost the election but it was the fault of the voters who didn't know what they were voting for.

Of course they did, unless you are saying that everyone who voted Tory are all stupid in not voting to remain.

Look at Jo Swinson, leader of the Lib/Dems who was determined to scrap Brexit when she got into power, and she believed that she could even be PM. Do you think she was smart?

On 12/14/2019 at 6:18 AM, adammike said:

Lotus is now controlled by a Chinese company and Morgan was acquired by an Italian company it was the last British owned car manufacturer.

I don't know how much of the cars components are British made.

I believe Morgan is now owned by an investment company not really the same as, say, Chrysler being owned by FIAT

Here's one for a laugh.

24 minutes ago, billd766 said:

quote "Yes I'm a remainer but the vote to leave was done and 99% didn't know what they were voting for."

The remainers lost the election but it was the fault of the voters who didn't know what they were voting for.

Of course they did, unless you are saying that everyone who voted Tory are all stupid in not voting to remain.

Look at Jo Swinson, leader of the Lib/Dems who was determined to scrap Brexit when she got into power, and she believed that she could even be PM. Do you think she was smart?

Neither side knew what they were voting for on Brecit. So many things neither side thought about. Both sides will have to live with it when it happens as it will affect everyone. There will be winners and losers on both sides.

4 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Neither side knew what they were voting for on Brecit. So many things neither side thought about. Both sides will have to live with it when it happens as it will affect everyone. There will be winners and losers on both sides.

Looks like they were very understanding what they were voting for this time though.

36 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Never really think about whether politicians are smart or stupid. Every morning I watch the news from UK on tv and I just fast forward to the end of the brexit discussions by politicians and biased reporters and catch up on world news.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

This is a backyard shed?

Must be a high tech garden shed then.

https://www.visitthemalverns.org/attraction/morgan-motor-company-factory-tours/

Ah, so it was the medias fault that caused The Tory majority.

You can try to spin it anyway you wish but the majority voted Tory, even some of those constituencies that never voted for anybody else BUT Labour, Even Bolsover where Dennis Skinner was MP for nearly 50 years voted Tory.

Why do you find it so difficult to accept that Labour and the Remainers lost, and then get on with your life.

Losers consent is one thing but half the muppets piping up to have a swipe weren't even in that category as they are neither British or on the electoral roll.

Archived