Jump to content
BANGKOK
Enzian

Chaeng Wattana renewal with FCD account.

Recommended Posts

On Monday I got my one year extension of stay by reason of retirement using a Foreign Currency Deposit (denominated in dollars) account at Krungsri bank to show proof of at least 800,000 baht on deposit. I had the paper trail showing the date of the deposit (August), the first month's mailed statement (though the bank didn't keep doing it every month), and the certified letter from the bank, made that morning,  showing the balance and indicating the money had been there all the time since August. The problem came in because Krungsri doesn't provide a paper bank book for such savings accounts, but rather a plastic card that one is supposed to present to the teller whenever one goes in to request information or do activity. This detail was almost too much for the chief officer in the office to get his head around. We called the bank and they confirmed to him on the phone that this is the way that bank does things, though they couldn't give him any confidential information about me specifically. All this added more than an hour. Finally he had me write out a statement explaining the situation in good faith, and he put the stamp in my passport. I intend to ask Krungsri if I can pay them something extra for a paper book so this doesn't happen next year. Also, there was no mention of a TM30 (which has never been done on me) or insurance.

Edited by Enzian
Spell check mistake
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprised that the io accepted your application without bankbook. Clearly they did.

I also was not asked for tm30 at CW couple months back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OP wrote > Also, there was no mention of a TM30 (which has never been done on me) or insurance.

As no mention was made of insurance, I presume your extension application was based on a Non Imm O - retirement Visa.

Can you confirm?  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad they accepted the Krungsri FCD, that’s the same account type of that I have (in GBP), I’m transferring monthly, and if it ever becomes possible to do an extension, what I was most impressed about was they ran a print of 12 months transactions in a couple of minutes, at the local main branch.

 

 I would hope more accounts will move away from the passbook,  rather than trying to get one. A THB account at another bank rarely shows all the transactions in the book anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

OP wrote > Also, there was no mention of a TM30 (which has never been done on me) or insurance.

As no mention was made of insurance, I presume your extension application was based on a Non Imm O - retirement Visa.

Can you confirm?  Thanks!

Yes, tho I have never understood the lettering system. About three years ago I got a tourist visa in CA from LA consulate, came here and converted it to some kind of 90 day visa which I then was able to extend for one year by reason of retirement. Now every extension is for one year. That's how I remember it; friends and my Thai girlfriend helped me through the stages, or I don't know how I would have done it alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Enzian said:

Yes, tho I have never understood the lettering system. About three years ago I got a tourist visa in CA from LA consulate, came here and converted it to some kind of 90 day visa which I then was able to extend for one year by reason of retirement.

That was a 90 day entry from a non immigrant category O visa  (aka non-o) that you obtained after applying for a change of visa status at immigration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Enzian said:

Foreign Currency Deposit (denominated in dollars) account at Krungsri bank to show proof of at least 800,000 baht on deposit.

Just out of interest how much dollar (USD?) above the estimated 800kTHB using exchange rates was deposited. Was there no mention of daily exchange rates to ensure the dollar amount never dropped below the THB requirement for each and every day?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Enzian said:

Yes, tho I have never understood the lettering system. About three years ago I got a tourist visa in CA from LA consulate, came here and converted it to some kind of 90 day visa which I then was able to extend for one year by reason of retirement. Now every extension is for one year. That's how I remember it; friends and my Thai girlfriend helped me through the stages, or I don't know how I would have done it alone.

Then you are definitely here on an extension of a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, and the health-insurance requirement is not applicable for you.

A Non Imm OA Visa can only be applied for in your home-country, and it now requires health-insurance when you want to extend if for reason of retirement.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

Just out of interest how much dollar (USD?) above the estimated 800kTHB using exchange rates was deposited. Was there no mention of daily exchange rates to ensure the dollar amount never dropped below the THB requirement for each and every day?

I thought in terms of overdoing it just to avoid that issue. I started out at the beginning of August depositing US $500 cash which is what Krungsri likes as a minimum to open an account, then three weeks later had my son in CA wire transfer $30,000 into that account. By my calculation the baht would have to go below 26.5 for me to be under the requirement, and that's not something anyone presently contemplates. Krungsri said I was good for 925K baht. No one in the Immigration office brought up the question of exchange rate, nor did their own calculation that I saw. I assume they just looked at the 925K estimated by Krungsri.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Extending this topic a little, I have the following enquiry.

 

I should like to know if anyone has experience of using an FCD (at any bank) as the account to which their monthly deposits are sent?

 

Was the bank able to provide the correct information for immigration to accept this for the ‘monthly income’ method?

 

TIA for any information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No problem with my FCD account in Euro from the Krungthai bank and i have also a bankbook for this account.

did my extension 15 November

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, UKresonant said:

Glad they accepted the Krungsri FCD, that’s the same account type of that I have (in GBP), I’m transferring monthly, and if it ever becomes possible to do an extension, what I was most impressed about was they ran a print of 12 months transactions in a couple of minutes, at the local main branch.

 

 I would hope more accounts will move away from the passbook,  rather than trying to get one. A THB account at another bank rarely shows all the transactions in the book anyway.

A thai bank book shows every transaction as long as you update it at least once a month. I update my books at Bangkok Bank and K-Bank twice a month. I can see every transaction, deposits, purchases, top-ups etc etc. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...