After Brexit, the UK has no choice but to become an American vassal state?

intheheartoftheheart

Hi gents. I would love to have some spirited discussion here about this recent piece by Peter Zeihan. In my opinion, he's one of the better geopolitical writers working today. In no way am I trying to troll. I think this is a worthwhile piece from a rare intelligent American cheerleader. 

Here is the piece on Brexit in full, please give it a read:

https://mailchi.mp/zeihan/the-cutting-room-files-part-5-the-future-of-the-united-kingdom

I'll include a few interesting quotes:

"The issue with London from the American perspective is harsh in its simplicity. Only three countries have ever threatened the U.S. mainland directly. The Soviet Union aimed nukes at the United States, and so Washington will typically take steps overt and covert to whittle away at Russian power. Mexico and the United States fought a land war, that ended with the Americans taking half of Mexico’s territory.

Curious what you guys think? Hyperbolic? Or on point?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/13/2019 at 11:22 AM, intheheartoftheheart said:

he's one of the better geopolitical writers working today. In no way am I trying to troll. I think this is a worthwhile piece from a rare intelligent American cheerleader. 

I admit to not reading the whole piece as reading the excerpts was enough to put me off. Not sure if you picked them specifically to enrage engage but definitely hyperbolic.........

Hyperbole from Wiki - "........As a figure of speech, it is usually not meant to be taken literally." :biggrin:  

If as you say he is "a rare intelligent American cheerleader." then the bias really shows through.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. But didn't we us brits have all this

rubbish before from peeps in the UK saying we will hit the cliff by just voting to leave, did it come to prosper? well no in fact we (The UK) are doing very well, Thank you.

Now we have some Yank telling us what we should do/how it's going to be. Suggest that he just minds his own business. They the USA have more than enough problems of their own. 

Trump, Guns, Deaths/Shooting every week, I could go on just a few pointers how they are going. That might be a better thing to discus. 

Yesterday I read this interesting article.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/16/boris-johnson-do-brexit-options-rhetoric-uk-single-market

Brexit is “oven ready” and will be “done” on 31 January of next year. True enough. Except, of course, virtually nothing will actually change – except that we lose our voice and vote, and what remains of our influence on the future course of the EU. We’ll still be in the single market, free movement will continue, as will our financial contributions, and there will be no tariffs or customs checks, either between Dublin and Calais or in the Irish Sea. Instead, we will enter an uneasy interregnum, the so-called “transition” period – really a standstill period.

It is inevitable that in the next few years the UK will have a closer trade relationship with the USA, they are our number 1 trading country.

I would speculate that in 10 years time the UK will have a similar trading relationship to Canada and Mexico. How much US political influence on the UK will increase is difficult to forsee.

Increasingly the unstable Euro situation will unravel and the EU might break up. The Irish will then have to decide whether to stay close to an unstable Europe or do the same as the Brits.

21 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yesterday I read this interesting article.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/16/boris-johnson-do-brexit-options-rhetoric-uk-single-market

Brexit is “oven ready” and will be “done” on 31 January of next year. True enough. Except, of course, virtually nothing will actually change – except that we lose our voice and vote, and what remains of our influence on the future course of the EU. We’ll still be in the single market, free movement will continue, as will our financial contributions, and there will be no tariffs or customs checks, either between Dublin and Calais or in the Irish Sea. Instead, we will enter an uneasy interregnum, the so-called “transition” period – really a standstill period.

And project fear continues...

He was probably one of the many 'experts' who said the EU will never reopen negotiations on the WA - and then they did. 

Nonsense. You could argue the US is in a good position to have favorable terms on any trade deal but that would not make the UK a vassal state.

The reality is that the UK will once again be self governing, free to make it's own laws and trade deals.

Expect more of these salty articles from (or simply to appeal to) the bitter losers who finally got their second vote and got absolutely mullered at the polls (again!).

19 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

And project fear continues...

He was probably one of the many 'experts' who said the EU will never reopen negotiations on the WA - and then they did. 

The Guardian

Estimated circulation: 0.3m 

Political slant: Their readership tends to be split between the Liberal Democrats and Labour.

1 hour ago, vogie said:

It would appear that democracy is a bitter pill to swallow for some on here.

Democracy isn’t democracy when it’s based on lies. In a democracy you have the right to change your mind. And finally how many times did  May rerun her vote trying to get the result she wanted?

4 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Just pointing out your hypocrisy.

Again. 

No you're not, by posting a post saying,

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

Yeah but blue passports.

You are trying to bait others posters and you shouldn't be surprised when other posters pick up on that. Sometimes if you have nothing of value to add to a thread, you are better not saying anything IMO.????

I'm sure Dominic Cummings would like the UK to be more like the USA. Wasn't it he who once suggested that UK workers don't work hard enough or long enough? I'm retired nine years now but, towards the end of my working life I seem to remember that my annual leave was over 6 weeks a year. I'm not sure of the current legal minimum annual leave allowance but I would wager it's more that US workers get. One of the reasons that Labour were keeping on about protecting existing employment rights.   

On 12/13/2019 at 4:40 AM, zyphodb said:

I think the UK still has a choice but given who is going to be the new government, being a vassel state to the US is a certainty with the UK gov. members lining their pockets all the way...

RIP UK

Better than being a vassal state of Soviet Russia.

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

No you're not, by posting a post saying,

You are trying to bait others posters and you shouldn't be surprised when other posters pick up on that. Sometimes if you have nothing of value to add to a thread, you are better not saying anything IMO.????

Blue passports is the ONLY tangible "benefit" that Brexit will actually deliver for most people.

The rich however are set to line their nests thanks very much.

Archived