Scotland must be given new independence vote - Sturgeon

webfact

5 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Oh sure - we are being dragged against our clearly expressed will - but once independent from the UK, the people of Scotland can consider whether they wish to rejoin as an independent country.

Good luck with that but ???????????????????????????? ain't 'being dragged' anywhere. ???????? voted to leave and ???????? (all of it) is doing just that. 'Losers consent' has worn very thin over the years but that is the long and the short of it in a nutshell.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

What's all this 'on your knees'? The tail has been wagging the dog since B-liar gave everyone except the ???????????????????????????? a Parliament 20 years ago & the ???????????????????????????? are getting fed up with it and have finally woken up as seen yesterday.

I'm not quite sure what happened on the 12th has anything particularly to do with English Nationalism, English independence from the UK was not an option. I am totally in favour of England separating from the UK (And thus disbanding the union). I wish you well; kindly take your Etonian leaders and your army of cap doffing, subservience loving,  toff ar#elicking, little Englanders with you.

Oh and BTW, don't bother with your sad standard line of it's the EU that controls us, Yawn, Yawn, ........wake up....... its the English rich that took you for a ride. The EU is just watching the sad spectacle of a once great country turning itself into a playground for bigots. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

the SNP continually blame down south, it’s never their own fault. They’ve had how many years with a majority and still blame outsiders, how pathetic and sad.

The don’t want independence, They’re quite happy blaming outsiders whilst sitting in the chair.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

I'm not quite sure what happened on the 12th has anything particularly to do with English Nationalism, English independence from the UK was not an option. I am totally in favour of England separating from the UK (And thus disbanding the union). I wish you well; kindly take your Etonian leaders and your army of cap doffing, subservience loving,  toff ar#elicking, little Englanders with you.

Oh and BTW, don't bother with your sad standard line of it's the EU that controls us, Yawn, Yawn, ........wake up....... its the English rich that took you for a ride. The EU is just watching the sad spectacle of a once great country turning itself into a playground for bigots. 

Thankfully the rest got the gist without treading that same path ????

10 hours ago, JonnyF said:

My opinion is that you would not be in control of your own future if you joined the EU.

If you are confident enough to really take control of your own future by going it alone (outside the UK and the EU) then I have huge respect for that and wish you all the best. 

But swapping the UK for the EU is a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire. You'd be less independent than you are now.

Take the Oil out of the Scotish economy ,  soon to be,  in the next few years .

What do they have left , tweed and whiskey , oh and not forgetting Haggis ..

Edited by elliss

I like this thread.

At last something that can't be blamed on America! LOL

On a serious note however. Back to my earlier post referring to the fact that the entire UK will legally leave on Jan 31st, regardless of ongoing negotiations to determine the future relationship.

An independent Scotland would have to re-apply to join. Not withstanding the fact the Scotland would have been a previous member as part of the UK.

I wonder what precedents that would set, and how would a country like Spain with it's own secessionist regions view the idea of making it easy for any region to break away and then have easy access back into 'the club'?  

10 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Times change, promises turn out to be worthless, people realise that we are at the mercy of the decisions made by the country next door. It is way past time we got off our knees and took a stand for a future that is actually what Scots want, not what England wants.

No

I am not sure if this has been mentioned before but it is an interesting fact.

About 1,250,000 Scots voted for the SNP in this election, but in the Scottish referendum over 2,000,000 Scots voted to remain within the United Kingdom, does this tell us something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, vogie said:

About 1,250,000 Scots voted for the SNP in this election, but in the Scottish referendum over 2,000,000 Scots voted to remain within the United Kingdom, does this tell us something.

Don't confuse people with facts!!

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, vogie said:

And how many voted for the nasty party? About 1 in 4 want Tories in charge, yet we are forced, yet again, to accept what the country next door wants. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, vogie said:

It tells us that they must be asked again, and again, and again, until they are so fed up with it that that they say "Oh all right then, have it your own way".

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

And how many voted for the nasty party? About 1 in 4 want Tories in charge, yet we are forced, yet again, to accept what the country next door wants. 

Nobody forced anybody to do anything, there was a democratic referendum, a once in a lifetime referendum and to the best of my knowledge it was not the lifetime of the mayfly.

Edited by vogie

36 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

At present Scotland, together with Wales, Northern Ireland and England is part of the United Kingdom. Just under half of the Scottish electorate voted for the SNP. It was a UK wide election, for a UK wide government. Many more voters (UK wide) voted for "the nasty party" than voted for the SNP. You are not being forced to accept what the country next door wants, you are part of the UK, and the UK, as a whole, made a choice.

If Scotland wishes to leave the UK then, in my opinion, fine, but in the meantime don't pretend that you are some kind of hard done by vassal of England, You are not.

There have been many occasions when past Labour governments have been elected due to the  number of Labour MPs returned by Scottish constituencies.

Edited by JAG
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, JAG said:

There have been many occasions when past Labour governments have been elected due to the  number of Labour MPs returned by Scottish constituencies.

Simply not true. Blair's victories did not depend on Scottish Labour seats, they were surplus to requirements, even in 2005. I'm not absolutely sure about Harold Wilson, but remember in the 1950s Scotland returned a majority of Tory seats. They certainly say that Scottish votes have never affected the outcome of UK elections since WW2. Surprised that we feel disenfranchised?

1 hour ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Simply not true. Blair's victories did not depend on Scottish Labour seats, they were surplus to requirements, even in 2005. I'm not absolutely sure about Harold Wilson, but remember in the 1950s Scotland returned a majority of Tory seats. They certainly say that Scottish votes have never affected the outcome of UK elections since WW2. Surprised that we feel disenfranchised?

'Simply not true'?

Interesting that you were 'uncertain' about Harold Wilson.  A simple wiki search would have clearly identified that Wilson would have lost in 1964 without the Labour seats in Scotland. This also applied in February 1974, although not quite an overall win for Labour in that election. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_United_Kingdom_general_election

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elections_in_Scotland#1964

'They certainly say that Scottish votes have never affected the outcome of UK elections since WW" Now that is simply not true.