Scotland must be given new independence vote - Sturgeon

webfact

1 hour ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Simply not true. Blair's victories did not depend on Scottish Labour seats, they were surplus to requirements, even in 2005. I'm not absolutely sure about Harold Wilson, but remember in the 1950s Scotland returned a majority of Tory seats. They certainly say that Scottish votes have never affected the outcome of UK elections since WW2. Surprised that we feel disenfranchised?

Umh, not quite so. Labour (Blair's) majority in 2005 was 66, 41 of his MPs were from Scotland. If say 35 of those seats had been won by Tory, Lib-Dem, SNP or Monster Raving Loony, then he would not have had a majority., similarly Harold Wilson in 1964: majority of 4, 43 Labour MPs from Scotland, 1964: majority of 98, 43 seats from Scotland, and 1974: a minority government (-17) with 40 MPs from Scotland, and then after the second election a majority of 3 with 41 from Scotland. So I suggest that for all the Labour governments since the 1960s, with the exception of Blair's first two terms, the Labour seats in Scotland were essential to their majority. Bear in mind also that until the establishment of the Holyrood Parliament the Scottish constituencies were significantly smaller than the English and Welsh. 

I'm not seeking to claim that these Labour governments were imposed upon England against their will - they were UK governments elected in a UK General Election. But the same argument holds for the Conservative governments of recent years, they are UK governments elected across the UK.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dabhand said:

'Simply not true'?

Interesting that you were 'uncertain' about Harold Wilson.  A simple wiki search would have clearly identified that Wilson would have lost in 1964 without the Labour seats in Scotland. This also applied in February 1974, although not quite an overall win for Labour in that election. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_United_Kingdom_general_election

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elections_in_Scotland#1964

'They certainly say that Scottish votes have never affected the outcome of UK elections since WW" Now that is simply not true.

In 1964 I was still hiding behind the settee whenever William Hartnell turned up in a phone box! ????

31 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

The simple fact, as made clear by election maps and the Brexit map, is that Scottish and English voters diverge significantly on how they want their government to look. We are not talking about small pockets of discontent, but the entire political outlook is different. How can this be reconciled without significant constitutional change?

That presupposes that you consider Scotland to be a different political entity to the United Kingdom. At present it is not. The only constitutional change really would be complete independence, with all that it entails. As I have said before, that does not bother me as an Englishman, but do remember it was rejected by the Scottish electorate in 2014, in a referendum whose own proponents described as a "once in a lifetime event". The chief proponent, one Alex Salmond is still very much alive. even if he has somewhat fallen from grace!

• Like 1

Ian Blackford was banging the ol' drum on Ridge a few mins ago & I note that a clip in which the Ginger Dwarf supported the 'once in a lifetime' narrative has surfaced elsewhere.

I don't yet know what the answer is but BJ will need to neuter SNP pretty quickly before they become a bigger distraction than they already are.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, englishoak said:

First id like to reiterate im very much in favour of Scotland leaving the UK and going its own way, as much as im for a united Ireland. 

Sturgeon claims it wants and will just immediatley join the EU

However in practice its not that simple, first off there is imo a great number of true blue Scots, by that I mean they want TRUE INDEPENDENCE not just swapping one ruler for another, but for now lets just leave those true Scots aside and deal with what i like to call the plastic ones who just want another boss to replace the old one. Enter the EU

There are some major roadblocks towards just hitching itself to the EU as a vassal  

Scotland would not be able to simply apply, there is a number of criteria that must be met to even apply. Not in the least a currency with a  trading record and certain value and defecit limit. 

At the moment, most people seem to think that an independent Scotland should either stay in a monetary union with England, Wales and Northern Ireland or introduce its own currency.

Very occasionally somebody suggests Scotland should adopt the euro 

It’s therefore perhaps worthwhile to examine briefly whether Scotland would actually be allowed to join. To introduce the euro, a country needs to fulfil the  convergence criteria:

Highlights are as follows

The inflation should be less than 2.5% (the exact figure varies from year to year — it’s based on the inflation figures of the EU member states). The figure for the UK is currently 2.6%, but there’s no reason to assume this would be the same for Scotland — it could be either higher or lower. I don’t think we can determine this at the moment; it’s possible Scotland will tick this box, but it’s quite likely it won’t.

The budget deficit should be less than 3% of GDP. In 2018 Scotland’s notional deficit stood at £12.6bn or 7% of GDP, including North Sea oil revenues, compared with the UK’s total £23.5bn deficit, which includes Scotland’s figure. The UK deficit is equivalent to 1.1% of its GDP. Assuming the UKs Oil went all to Scotlands control ( which it wouldnt anyway but lets assume is did ) it would require exceptionally high oil prices to push the deficit under 3%. This is in the current climate impossible so It’s probably safe to assume Scotland would need a few years to bring the deficit under control. 

The debt-to-GDP ratio should be under 60% or falling. The UK’s ratio is 90% and rising, so if Scotland inherits its populations share of the debt, this criterion will be very hard to fulfil. On the other hand, if the rest of the UK decide to keep all assets and liabilities, Scotland will have a ratio of 0%, so it’d pass this test with flying colours.

The country should have been a member of ERM-II (the exchange rate mechanism) for two years. This means that the country needs to have had its own currency for at least two years (using the Pound Sterling doesn’t count), and it needs to have been linked loosely to the euro. If we assume that an independent Scotland would continue to use the pound for at least five years after independence day before creating its own currency, the earliest this criterion can be fulfilled is 2026/7

To conclude, the main issues are likely to be the national debt (unless the UK decide to keep all of it in order to safeguard their permanent membership of the UN’s Security Council) and the need to have been a member of ERM-II for at least two years.

It seems unlikely Scotland would be able to introduce the euro before 2027, even if it became a political priority.

Of course, if Scotland decided not to introduce the euro, staying out of ERM-II is all it takes. This is what Sweden and many of the newer EU members are doing at the moment. But then it would still have to have its own currency and England would be most unlikely to allow the Pound Sterling to be used as a stepping stone just for the convenience of a nation leaving the UK and using it full time would be a no go. Plus The Bank of England would not accept or want that market exposure and problems it could potentially bring. in turn this would bring into question Scotland's autonomy without its own real currency.  

That the SNP are very popular is not in contest, that dosnt mean however independence is what the majority of Scots want, Sturgeon imo is not interested in Scottish independence, just realigning Scottish dependence to the EU instead of the UK.. the Trial of Alex Salmond starts in Jan .. 14 accusations of sexual misconduct... Sturgeon was his no 2 for years and it is very hard to see her not becoming seriously tarnished by the coming trial, I believe her days are going to become numbered going forwards...

Id very much like to see Scotland leaving the United Kingdom but honestly I just dont see it happening for mostly economic and practical reasons. I also believe most Scots arnt economically stupid and outside of true independence ( which is impractical ) will choose the UK over the EU every time they are asked. 

Time will tell. 

pretty good overview (some elements debatable though, but what isn't)

yes, time will tell, that is reasonably certain . . .

just wanted to add a bit re criteria to be met in order for Scotland, or any other country for that matter,

in order to apply/become a EU member state

there are, at least, 3 (relatively independent) sets of criteria that are relevant;

A

the very first step is that Scotland must be recognised as a sovereign state by the international community,

in the Treaty of treaties you will find a set of reasonably objective criteria relevant to this,

examples; borders being recognized and respected, some ability to defend her borders etc etc

B

having become a recognised sovereign state then there are criteria set by EU to be met,

eg being democratic, having control over this and that, the human rights package,

acceptable justice system etc etc

C

nowadays new EU member states cannot escape from or opt out of Euro,

a set of criteria related to state/national finances must be met in order to qualify for

taking part in the Europe "coop".

(not sure but I assume that not meeting the Euro criteria will not prevent membership

provided the prospective member works towards meeting the Euro criteria)

(now, while I have the floor,

maybe I'm dumb but I cannot see independence for Scotland in the near future.

Nico. Stur. can say what she like about BJ/Cons and mandate re taking this or that in/out of EU

with Scotland in tow.

but, I presume that there is a limit to the number of balls that BJ/Cons desire to play at the same time.

when both Brexit and "deals" with EU are settled then maybe, just maybe, the Cons government might

be open to discuss the matter.)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

how reliable are polls from yougov?  good/bad/average?

this 66% for under 50s is quite interesting

makes me wonder, how many of those are EU freaks and how many are indep. freaks?

There is a slightly confusing but eventually illuminating spaghetti chart on the yougov report showing allegiance changes over the past few years. I will post it in the morning. 

• Like 1

Lots of upset in the indy camp today after NS's relatively uninspiring statement on the future plans for a referendum. Looks like her jacket may be on a shoogly nail with the rank and file SNP members. Joanna Cherry is getting a lot of attention at the moment. 

• Like 1

This is the spaghetti chart I mentioned last night (or is it termed something else?).

With the latest poll results, obviously there was a transfer of allegiances but, for me, it is interesting to see where those switches occur. One of the biggest surprises to me is how many who didn't vote last time round have switched to Yes. But in general, the No camp has made few inroads in persuading defectors. 

Scottish independence Jan 2020 sankey-01.png

Edited by RuamRudy
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

My niece works in Holyrood as a personal advisor. She says that the "Hotheads" that are pushing Cherry are generally viewed to have jumped the gun, and - at least partially - blown it for the time being. Nicola has been in power for some time, she is canny and shrewd, that is what it takes to remain at the top. She is a realist, and knows that we still need to build support. If Corbyn hadn't been so utterly useless we might have had a hung parliament, and a referendum could have been bargained for. As it is he will probably be secretly celebrating tonight as the Brexit he has worked so hard for comes to pass.

Your stats are interesting, and relate to a question that Sean o' Grady discussed in an article about rejoining the EU in the future (Independent)*. Both show the bulk of Brexit support, and Unionist support in Scotland, coming from the over 65s. The 25s to 65s are more equal, and the under 25s overwhelmingly anti Brexit and pro independence. The argument that I read said that, although the logic is more younger voters and less older voters will change the picture, people tend to get more conservative as they grow older. This may not be the case, who expected c.60% of the English working class to vote Tory this time. A more important factor though is that the boomers are exactly that, part of a boom. As we/they leave for the hereafter, they will be replaced by a much smaller number of post boomers, who have drifted to the right over the years. I probably won't see it, but I do anticipate a drift back from the current twisted populism and Neo fascist politics that has spread it's foul influence on many countries in the world.

*. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-rejoin-future-uk-leave-countries-a9308081.html

One of the things that I think might damage Cherry is this whole Gender Recognition issue, which she seems to have gotten herself mired in. I don't even begin to understand the issue and, mistakenly it would seem, had assumed it was a storm in a teacup. I often wonder whether there are paid agitators in the party, just trying to stir up internal discontent. 

What a fantastic article in the Express - unfortunately it seems too early for the gammons to have filled the article's comments section with their bitter hate and BritNat outrage, but I am sure it won't be long till they spew their venom and bile across the site, and we can all laugh at them once again.

EU’s Tusk fans flames of UK division pushing EU membership for independent Scotland By CIARAN MCGRATH

"DONALD Tusk has taken a potshot at UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson with the incendiary claim that there is broad support in Brussels for an independent Scotland joining the bloc - adding that he "feels very Scottish" in the wake of Brexit."

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

What a fantastic article in the Express - unfortunately it seems too early for the gammons to have filled the article's comments section with their bitter hate and BritNat outrage, but I am sure it won't be long till they spew their venom and bile across the site, and we can all laugh at them once again.

EU’s Tusk fans flames of UK division pushing EU membership for independent Scotland By CIARAN MCGRATH

"DONALD Tusk has taken a potshot at UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson with the incendiary claim that there is broad support in Brussels for an independent Scotland joining the bloc - adding that he "feels very Scottish" in the wake of Brexit."

Did you read all of Donald Tusks wording, it wasn't all roses in the garden for the SNP. Even N Sturgeon has said she doesn't think it will be this year for indy2, what has happened to her confidence?

Boris Johnson set to launch £5m anti-independence ad blitz for Scotland

Game on.

• Haha 2

There wont be another Indyref... Blackford looks increasingly unconvincing in his begging and rhetoric, ill wager the Tories will have far better things to do than indulge Scotland over the next few years, probably throw a few billion in bones and as usual The Scots will take the coin and shut up for a while.  The light can stay on but theres no one at home.. 

Btw whens Dodgy touchy feely Alex Salmonds trail coming up ? :whistling:

• Like 1