Two boys in motorbike collision in Kathu, one in critical condition

webfact

Two boys in motorbike collision in Kathu, one in critical condition

By The Phuket News

1576214359_1.jpg

Medical staff administer emergency treatment to one of the boys involved in the collision. Photo: Kathu Police

PHUKET: Two young boys have sustained serious head injuries and were taken to hospital in critical condition after their motorbike was involved in a collision on Wichit Songkram Rd last night (Dec 12).

Capt Surapong Puangprom of the Kathu Police Station confirmed the boys’ red-and-black Honda motorbike collided with a pickup truck that was parked at the side of the street close to the Loch Palm Golf Club entrance.

“The boys are approximately 10 years old,” Capt Surapong said. “Neither boy was wearing a helmet when the collision occurred.”

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/two-boys-in-motorbike-collision-in-kathu-one-in-critical-condition-73984.php#q1ThQUObt2Qqzgpt.99

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-12-13

time for the police to actually start seizing bikes of young riders and charging their parents for allowing them to ride them, this is BS, no way 10 y/o should be riding bikes especially with no helmets.  Trouble is thais dont give a s%$t what their kids do as long as they are not bothering them, makes it easier for them to play with their phones etc, pathetic

Firstly, and regardless of why they were riding the bike, I wish them a full and speedy recovery.

You would like to think that others would learn from such craziness, but apparently not so.

Going after these kids parents is justifiable, but it is a nationwide issue that needs to be addressed.

Safety and respecting your own and others mortality just aren't out there across the board from the kids up and sadly you don't see the will here to deal with it..

None of it helped by Officer Dibble being too busy collecting tea money, that they don't even stop the kids, cos they know they haven't got any. 

“The boys are approximately 10 years old,” Capt Surapong said. “Neither boy was wearing a helmet when the collision occurred.”

That hurts a lot to read. Our 22 year old son just had an unpleasant crash with our little Yamaha and i had the honor to fix the bike and pay the damage to the car he rode on.

I hope that the boys will have a full recovery, even when I know that this is very difficult to achieve here.

Our son now must wear a helmet, or he has to walk. 

Time for teachers to wear a helmet when they ride to school.

10 year old boys. OMG!!!

2 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

Arrest the parents! Charge them Child Abuse, Child Endangerment and GROSS STUPIDITY. Then send them to prion fro LIFE, 

Please start at the top and work your way down. Then you'll somehow see that their teachers ride to school without a helmet.

Not a great example for the kids, don't you think?

I've seen younger kids riding a motorbike pretty fast and I blame the system for it.

I've never seen cops stopping a bike with little kids riding it. They're the ones who should enforce the laws.

A failure of the educational system. 

When I got married 11 years ago, both my Thai wife and her 24 year old son would hop on their bikes and take off, with no helmet. We had a family meeting and I told them there was a new Sheriff in town, with a new Law. The helmet goes on, and fastened correctly, before the key goes in the ignition, or I impound keys and bike. They got the message loud and clear, and have stuck to that ever since. 

16 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

When I got married 11 years ago, both my Thai wife and her 24 year old son would hop on their bikes and take off, with no helmet. We had a family meeting and I told them there was a new Sheriff in town, with a new Law. The helmet goes on, and fastened correctly, before the key goes in the ignition, or I impound keys and bike. They got the message loud and clear, and have stuck to that ever since. 

Same with my Thai wife 23 years ago.  Wear helmet and car seat belts. Only once caught her going to local market along 2 km busy road. Stern talk about safety. She got the message.

Yeah kids on motorbikes is a big problem in Thailand. Last April 2 schoolgirls about 12 years old ran into the drivers door on my truck. It was 20:00 hrs they had no headlight on and still in their school uniforms. I was at fault as I was the only one with money. Had to pay for their hospital bill and to repair the damage to their bike. What a crock.

The endless fvckwittery here is exhausting... its everywhere and so heartbreaking to see so many people place themselves in the direct line of mortal danger through nothing more than 'lack of thought'... 

A crying shame, one that needs to be adjusted with a cultural shift in attitude - this must come from the top and infiltrate every facet of society with the degree of 'give a flook' attitude rarely seen in this country until some attractive western girl accidentally shows her nickers in a temple....

1 hour ago, Just1Voice said:

We had a family meeting and I told them there was a new Sheriff in town, with a new Law. The helmet goes on, and fastened correctly, before the key goes in the ignition, or I impound keys and bike. They got the message loud and clear, and have stuck to that ever since.

Did you follow them whilst they were driving? I've tried "the new sheriff in town" thing with my stepdaughter some 10 years  ago. Helmet on when she left home, out of sight helmet off. Caught her  (1 km from home without helmet) when she was going home from school.

To me, safety as a functional day-to-day idea does not, IMHO, seem to be something that’s really pushed here or really a talking point in the larger societal context...

Therefore, it’s not surprising to see these kinds of events... I just think, as tragic as they are (and they are) that this is largely a reflection of how, in this society, the notion of safety, is really applied in many everyday and day-to-day routine tasks.

.... and IMHO, until such time (if ever) that larger societal viewpoint/practice shifts to being a more thoughtful and proactive safety-minded set, there really is no meaningful and sustainable change on the horizon.

i also don’t really believe that this shift to safety minded can truly be implemented In the long term through “enforcement” actions like police, fine, seizures, etc.... largely  because IF compliance is based on the presence of enforcement, the minute that the enforcement presence is actually absent or perceived to be absent, so does compliance.

21 hours ago, steven100 said:

the defence rests your honor   !!  where's their parent's  ….  obviously not doing what they are suppose to do !

I'm sure they are now re-evaluating their parenting skills... with the help of the police.

Lesson learnt.... doubtful.

19 hours ago, pieeyed said:

Yeah kids on motorbikes is a big problem in Thailand. Last April 2 schoolgirls about 12 years old ran into the drivers door on my truck. It was 20:00 hrs they had no headlight on and still in their school uniforms. I was at fault as I was the only one with money. Had to pay for their hospital bill and to repair the damage to their bike. What a crock.

This is the problem. It seems that even when they are at fault in an accident there is no punishment. 

20 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Same with my Thai wife 23 years ago.  Wear helmet and car seat belts. Only once caught her going to local market along 2 km busy road. Stern talk about safety. She got the message.

Yeah I bet, until you're not there.

Sad, I hope they recover and I hope they have learned a lesson...but no doubt will now have the scars for life.

Like others here I see young children riding a motorbike and particularly at market time, going the wrong way too. A few days ago while exiting the PTT station on the newly concreted Udorn-Nongkhai bypass section, on the central reservation just opposite where there is point where motorcyclists have made a 'trodden' path to avoid using the U-turn (now a couple of hundred meters along the new road). There on this path was a young boy trying to negotiate the incline and he just fell over and both he and the bike landed back on the road (onto the 'fast lane'). He just got up and tried again. At that point I drove away feeling sorry for him not to have the sense of danger to himself and others.

22 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

and pay the damage to the car he rode on.

insurance??????????

Our son now must wear a helmet, or he has to walk.

He need to wear a helmet all the time somebody needed to tell him many years ago!!!!!!!!!

23 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Right next to Pinocchio and some non helmet wearing teachers would be my choice. 

I object very strongly to underage kids riding motorbikes and their stupid parents for allowing it, but I do not give a toss if people ride their motorbikes without wearing a helmet, they are not going to harm me.

22 hours ago, pieeyed said:

Paid for there hospital bill?? Another reason for keeping as little of your money in Thailand as you need and keeping it in your home countrys bank.

What you haven't got, nobody can get.

21 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Did you follow them whilst they were driving? I've tried "the new sheriff in town" thing with my stepdaughter some 10 years  ago. Helmet on when she left home, out of sight helmet off. Caught her  (1 km from home without helmet) when she was going home from school.

and what did you do, ground her?

On 12/13/2019 at 6:35 AM, Just1Voice said:

Arrest the parents! Charge them Child Abuse, Child Endangerment and GROSS STUPIDITY. Then send them to prison fro LIFE, 

And how does that help the boys?  You see kids as young as this on motorbikes every day, usually going to school or running errands.  Same in Cambodia, Laos, Burma, India and most third world countries.  Same as four or five on a motorbike, how many times do you see that?  Many don't have the luxury of choice. 

Archived