GBP Up Against Baht

14 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

A 'bit more'?! That’s a further 12% you’re  hoping for which is massive. A majority was largely priced in @ 39.8 and this just eased up a bit more on confirmation and the size of majority. Expect little if any more and perhaps a bit of a fall back as the euphoria subsides and the hard work begins.

Groan, moan & grizzle!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, hugh2121 said:

Some so called experts seem to think the rise in £ and FTSE markets will not continue for very long. I think I would agree with that more and more as Brexit draws inevitably closer and closer.

Haven’t they told you.? You just have to believe more

3 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Great result? The PM ran and hid in a fridge to avoid answering a journalist’s questions. Really great.....

Guess we can add you to the sore losers list, eh?

What we have here is democracy at its best. This was a General Election and the PEOPLES VOTE all rolled into one.Tory policy was clear from the outset, we leave with a deal preferably, but we WILL LEAVE, with or without one! Labour dithered, the Lib Dems said they would ' Stop Brexit ' and even their leader lost her seat as they performed miserably in the election, and their policies rejected. So, obviously the Tory choice was the position most in line with the feelings of the British public.

The British public resoundingly supported that position.

The left has screamed, shouted, bullied and ridiculed anybody who didn't share their point of view, with threats, violence and the usual topping of us all being racist and " ignorant of the facts ", just like you are doing now, because people have taken an alternative position to yours.

Well, it has all backfired and now it has come back to bite them on the backside. Your side lost, democracy won, get over it!

Back on point, the pound has risen due to the fact that the markets now feel the stalemate will be broken and a deal can be done with Europe, avoiding a  no deal Brexit. That being the case, it does not necessarily follow and uncertainty could come to the front again.

The reason being is there is a good chance now that Phase 1 will pass without contest and we will finally be outside Europe, but still subject to conditions, laws and treaties for a while to come.

Europe is hoping Boris , now with a huge majority, will not have to listen too much to the Hard Brexiteers and follow a more flexible and moderate path towards a ' middle of the road ' resolution. Also, Europe now needs to be aware, that the ' trump card ' of a dead parliament not allowing anything to pass is gone and so is that leverage.

Europe will need to find out who the ' real Boris Johnson ' is! Was it all bluff with the hard Brexit policies to get into power?  or does he really intend to stand up to Europe to get a much fairer deal than what was trying to be put through by Barnier and co?

Bear in mind, Michel Barnier, their chief negotiator stated that if the deal was so ' unpalatable ' to the British, that they would stay in, then he had done his job! That blackmail is now removed. It is back to the drawing board now on a future trade deal, and the UK could still leave without one unless a lot of flexibility on both sides.

The pound is by no means on the up and up and plenty of headwinds ahead.

30 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

What we have here is democracy at its best. This was a General Election and the PEOPLES VOTE all rolled into one.Tory policy was clear from the outset, we leave with a deal preferably, but we WILL LEAVE, with or without one! Labour dithered, the Lib Dems said they would ' Stop Brexit ' and even their leader lost her seat as they performed miserably in the election, and their policies rejected. So, obviously the Tory choice was the position most in line with the feelings of the British public.

The left has screamed, shouted, bullied and ridiculed anybody who didn't share their point of view, with threats, violence and the usual topping of us all being racist and " ignorant of the facts ", just like you are doing now, because people have taken an alternative position to yours.

Well, it has all backfired and now it has come back to bite them on the backside. Your side lost, democracy won, get over it!

Back on point, the pound has risen due to the fact that the markets now feel the stalemate will be broken and a deal can be done with Europe, avoiding a  no deal Brexit. That being the case, it does not necessarily follow and uncertainty could come to the front again.

The reason being is there is a good chance now that Phase 1 will pass without contest and we will finally be outside Europe, but still subject to conditions, laws and treaties for a while to come.

Europe is hoping Boris , now with a huge majority, will not have to listen too much to the Hard Brexiteers and follow a more flexible and moderate path towards a ' middle of the road ' resolution. Also, Europe now needs to be aware, that the ' trump card ' of a dead parliament not allowing anything to pass is gone and so is that leverage.

Europe will need to find out who the ' real Boris Johnson ' is! Was it all bluff with the hard Brexit policies to get into power?  or does he really intend to stand up to Europe to get a much fairer deal than what was trying to be put through by Barnier and co?

Bear in mind, Michel Barnier, their chief negotiator stated that if the deal was so ' unpalatable ' to the British, that they would stay in, then he had done his job! That blackmail is now removed. It is back to the drawing board now on a future trade deal, and the UK could still leave without one unless a lot of flexibility on both sides.

The pound is by no means on the up and up and plenty of headwinds ahead.

Well no actually I’m not a sore loser, I’ve gained a lot. The loser is Britain. I see though that you’ve learned the script word for word. You lost get over it....really? You need to at least make it look like you can think for yourself.

1 hour ago, Fairynuff said:

Well no actually I’m not a sore loser, I’ve gained a lot. The loser is Britain. I see though that you’ve learned the script word for word. You lost get over it....really? You need to at least make it look like you can think for yourself.

We're all hoping the losers will pipe down now and just accept they lost, Brexit can't be stopped now.

Great to drain the swamp of all those MPs trying to stop brexit and get a second vote

6 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Except of course that a referendum based on lies can never be called democratic 

This election result showed emphatically that the majority of people in the UK want us to finish what we started (i.e. leave the EU), and move on to other matters. I'm hoping most people who wanted us to stay in the EU can now accept that we are definitely leaving, and focus on how we leave. I can see that may still take a while for you. 

Bercow and his ilk have a lot to answer for, and have cost the people of the UK a lot of money (and dignity) with all the parliamentary game playing and delaying tactics. Finally their game is up. 

On 12/13/2019 at 2:06 PM, donnacha said:

To be fair, unlike most elections, this one represents a fairly profound shift in British politics, reasserting the democratic will of the people after a long period during which various highly influential elites attempted to negate or misrepresent it.

That created instability and uncertainty that severely impacted the currency. Regardless of where you stand on Brexit, the essential principle of democracy is vital to the smooth running of advanced economies.

Democratic will of the people? Utter nonsense, nearly 60% voted against the Conservatives yet they have complete control of government. That can by no stretch of the imagination match your description.

2 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Pure nonsense. The Brexit Party got 2% of the vote. UKIP got 22,000 votes. The Conservatives got 43.6%. add that up and it's 45.6% - Labour got 32.1%, LibDems 11.5%, SNP 3.9% and greens 2.7%. That's over 50% - without including Northern Ireland, which is mostly pro remain.

Your claim simply does not add up, If Dianne Abbot made the same error that you did there would be thousands of meme's about it by now.

Why do you choose to misrepresent things?

10 hours ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

You may or may not be correct, you are simply guessing.

Yes, i am guessing this is why today its 39.40 and on the day of elections it was 40.285

See what a good guess i am ????or i might just be well read and this is what happens everywhere, worldwide

13 minutes ago, BestB said:

Yes, i am guessing this is why today its 39.40 and on the day of elections it was 40.285

See what a good guess i am ????or i might just be well read and this is what happens everywhere, worldwide

Profit taking, plus lots of FXs selling GBP and buying currency, next week may go back up. BTW TT was 40.1 today

On 12/13/2019 at 2:06 PM, donnacha said:

To be fair, unlike most elections, this one represents a fairly profound shift in British politics, reasserting the democratic will of the people after a long period during which various highly influential elites attempted to negate or misrepresent it.

That created instability and uncertainty that severely impacted the currency. Regardless of where you stand on Brexit, the essential principle of democracy is vital to the smooth running of advanced economies.

It may have represented something for you or other people, but economy does not this way, confidence and investment does not get rebuilt over night just because of an elections

Usually prior to elections, currencies go down due to uncertainty and and i am guessing some gambling, Once its over, currencies always go up and it lasts a day or two before it returns to its usual value.

Over time, yes may be it will get stronger or weaker. yet to be seen, but election time is always the same, first down, then up, then back to normal

11 hours ago, ignis said:

For some it makes a difference, when I came I got 76 baht to the £ for the last few months my Pension has been less than halve that... 

If you were to get extra 1 baht for every baht, how much of a difference is it really going to make, unless you changing thousands.

In my opinion, the only way to see 76 again is if baht was to crash. When it was 76, loss of 20% meant down to 60, and if it was to gain from there 20%, you would only be up to 72.

Same for AUD and CAD, AUD for example lost 30% 30 down to 20, if it was to gain 30% it would only be at 26, to get back to old times it would need to gain 50% almost double to what it originally lost.

Hope i am making sense ????

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Typo, was 40.1 at TT, certainly higher than your 39.4

39.40 is banks rate, you do of course realize, difference is 60 satang and to change at TT you must have actual cash on hand, no internet transfer ????

4 minutes ago, BestB said:

39.40 is banks rate, you do of course realize, difference is 60 satang and to change at TT you must have actual cash on hand, no internet transfer ????

Yes, what was Transferwise? usually similar to TT, certainly much better than the Thai banks which should be a last resort

1 hour ago, Blue Muton said:

Pure nonsense. The Brexit Party got 2% of the vote. UKIP got 22,000 votes. The Conservatives got 43.6%. add that up and it's 45.6% - Labour got 32.1%, LibDems 11.5%, SNP 3.9% and greens 2.7%. That's over 50% - without including Northern Ireland, which is mostly pro remain.

Your claim simply does not add up, If Dianne Abbot made the same error that you did there would be thousands of meme's about it by now.

The Brexit Party, UKIP and Conservatives were all categorically Leave parties, albeit in different forms. A majority for any of those 3 parties would result in us leaving the EU. 

The Labour Party was on the fence with Brexit. Their manifesto promise was to renegotiate a deal with the EU, then hold a 2nd referendum. So a Labour victory could still have resulted in us leaving the EU. Therefore Labour's 32.1% does not represent 32.1% for Remain. At a push it might be 20-22% of the Labour total representing Remain. 

The categorically remain parties; Lib Dems, Greens and SNP (although not all SNP voters are remainers) got just 18.1% of the vote. 

With respect, I think you're clutching at straws. 

On 12/13/2019 at 6:01 AM, HullyGully said:

With the Conservative majority, the pound is moving up

currently at 40.285 for TT transfer (BKK Forex rate)

On Tuesday it hit 39.97. Hours after the election result it hit 40.68, now 40.26. Hardly a meteoric rise and now appears to be falling back.

On 12/13/2019 at 7:06 AM, donnacha said:

And people forget how it would have bombed if the Corbyn nutters had got in.

2 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

Yeah,

Well in the UK we run a first past the post system. And it aint changing soon. You are refusing to look at the total picture.

It is Tories all the way and Bexit is happening.

AS THEY SAY, There are lies, damn lies and then as you are trying to use, statitistics!

Archived