Looking for a good cheap T.V any recommendations ?

fforest1

I was wondering if any one has a good cheap T.V that you are happy with the picture and performance of ?

The problem with buying T.Vs these days is they pump the T.Vs on display full of ultra high definition videos so of course all the T.Vs look very high quality.......But when some of these T.V are hooked up to average Joe cable the quality of the picture take a big nose dive.......

I was looking to buy a T.V at some place like Big C and a cheaper one around 5000 baht or so.....

So if any one has given one of the less expensive T.Vs a good home road test and are happy with it I would love to hear about it.......Thanks

10 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

But when some of these T.V are hooked up to average Joe cable the quality of the picture take a big nose dive.......

There really is not much difference these days if you buy among the same quality range (HD/UHD/4k and such) and even less so than before as it costs about the same regardless of screen quality.  All will take the same nosedive if you feed them <deleted>.  

I and others reporting here have been very pleased with TCL brand (which is normally lower cost) but have also had good luck with local Thai names as well.  More important perhaps are the inputs that you require and tuner being digital if using for OTA reception.

• Like 1

You can take a USB flash drive with  various  formats and qualities (bitrates) to the shop and test out the TV before you buy.

There are some very good prices on TV's at the moment I saw a 50 inch for 9,000 baht the other week !!!

1907315868_Thaiwatsadutv1.thumb.jpg.28d8bc48bbe40bf7e7dc7e57b7562f7d.jpg

909047928_Thaiwatsadutv3.thumb.jpg.5e414878a632673fb38410d013fc0462.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, moonseeker said:

Get an LG Smart with Magic Control. Great, simple OS. Super easy to get used to, point, click, write etc. 

Great deals on Lazada. Trust me, you won't regret. Go as big as you can afford. 

Enjoy. MS>

I don't know if this problem still exists. But at my 100000 Baht LG 3D TV (just write the price that you see it is a high end model) it is impossible to update the time and date using the internet. It can only update it from digital TV stations. Whenever I take the TV from power (no standby) it forgets the settings and updates it when you start it and it finds a digital TV station. Or you have to keep it in standby the whole time. If the settings are not correct many internet sites using certificates will not work. Without digital TV stations you will have to set the time and date manually and also keep it in standby. Or enter it every time before you want to use the internet... I don't like this that it can't use the internet for the time and date update. I want to cancel my cable TV and then I will have the problem. I think Samsung can update using the internet - but check before you buy. Also check if you have a plug for earphones if you want to use them with cable. Otherwise it has to support Bluetooth. 

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Now we know why the hat is out. ???? OP is asking about a 5k TV so likely a bit on the high side.

I simply want to warn him and tell him that even high end LG models have a problem here. When I cancel my cable TV or if you use a box for your cable TV you will have this problem. And since I don't want to keep it in standby I will have to enter the time and date every time when I want to use the internet. It is a very bad concept. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Never had any issues as time goes. They are connected to internet all the time. 

Some excellent bargains if you search well. Bought several 55, 65 and 70 inch the last 12 months. From 11K to max. 18K.

Not the latest models of course, but Ultra HD and fast. MS>

I think Beggar's point is to look at areas beyond the picture that might be overlooked before you take home and get frustrated... sometimes "features" may be a royal pain in the backside, or little thing you wish you'd seen. For example, my one of my TVs doesn't remember that I want second audio on some channels, so have to adjust each time. Not a big thing, but maybe I'd have chosen differently.

2 minutes ago, Emdog said:

I think Beggar's point is to look at areas beyond the picture that might be overlooked before you take home and get frustrated... sometimes "features" may be a royal pain in the backside, or little thing you wish you'd seen. For example, my one of my TVs doesn't remember that I want second audio on some channels, so have to adjust each time. Not a big thing, but maybe I'd have chosen differently.

Which is a valid point but with a 5k limit you are not going to have too many options to consider - but for basic display there probably will not be much difference between brands and they will all be better than the CRT tubes we had been using since the 1940's.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

There really is not much difference these days if you buy among the same quality range (HD/UHD/4k and such) and even less so than before as it costs about the same regardless of screen quality.  All will take the same nosedive if you feed them <deleted>.  

I and others reporting here have been very pleased with TCL brand (which is normally lower cost) but have also had good luck with local Thai names as well.  More important perhaps are the inputs that you require and tuner being digital if using for OTA reception.

We got a TCL 2 or 3 years ago.. very happy with it..

We just got a TLS 55". Fantastic TV, great colors, very inexpensive compared to the others. What I really liked is the 3-year warranty, compared to the LG or Samsung only offering a 6-month warranty. I will never buy another Samsung. After 2 years, vertical white lines started appearing. There's a reason they give such a short warranty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is the time of year to buy. Many sales. We just purchased a 55 inch LG android with a smart remote that we only have to talk into to change channels for 14,000 baht. Guess it depends on what you consider cheap and how big a screen you find acceptable.

21 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Agree re TCL, bought 14 years ago, still working perfectly, picture still as sharp s ever. 

We like our 55" TCL TV. We bought cheap this time as our cats kept urinating on our other TV's so didn't want it to cost a fortune when it eventually happens again. Only problems I have are the sleep function requires lots of clicks in the settings, and as with many TVs they won't play certain audio formats. I have to change the audio to Ac3-lav using avidermux for some of my 4k files.

2 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

We just got a TLS 55". Fantastic TV, great colors, very inexpensive compared to the others. What I really liked is the 3-year warranty, compared to the LG or Samsung only offering a 6-month warranty. I will never buy another Samsung. After 2 years, vertical white lines started appearing. There's a reason they give such a short warranty.

Apart from smartphones, I would never buy anything by Samsung.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Apart from smartphones, I would never buy anything by Samsung.

My Samsung smartphone also died after just a few years. Won't charge, even with a new battery. I wouldn't buy anything from Samsung. The TLS TV was only 8990 baht, BTW. On Lazada.

• Like 1

Another vote for TCL.  I've had a TCL 55" for 3 years with no issues at all.  I purchased through Lazada, less then B12,000 delivered.  The delivery persons also unboxed it attached the stands and set it in place.  I elected to make the necessary connections myself.   My only complaint, and this seems to be true with most inexpensive flatscreen TV's is the sound quality is poor.  I used a home theater system I already had but the OP may want to budget in a soundbar of some sort.

I also have a 40" Sharp, the 40SA5200SX which is generally the cheapest of the major international brands, Usually just under B5000.  Picture is decent, sound is terrible.  I could not get it to play through auxillary speakers.