Thai opposition leader asks supporters to mobilise in Bangkok on Saturday

webfact

16 minutes ago, dcnx said:

Thailand is a lost cause on so many levels. From education to police to the military to road carnage to their way of thinking and lack of action to their xenophobia and all the way up to THE guy they all have to worship. There’s no fixing this mess. 

I wish you were wrong, but sadly I also really don't see any way out of this mess within at least a couple of generations, by which time we'll all be long gone

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I wish you were wrong, but sadly I also really don't see any way out of this mess within at least a couple of generations, by which time we'll all be long gone

2 hours ago, dcnx said:
Thailand is a lost cause on so many levels. From education to police to the military to road carnage to their way of thinking and lack of action to their xenophobia and all the way up to THE guy they all have to worship. There’s no fixing this mess. 

Thanks guys for the morning doom & gloom report. It's still dark here but when the bright sun comes out today, I'll be sure to put on my rose-colored glasses.

8 minutes ago, SkyFax said:

2 hours ago, dcnx said:
Thailand is a lost cause on so many levels. From education to police to the military to road carnage to their way of thinking and lack of action to their xenophobia and all the way up to THE guy they all have to worship. There’s no fixing this mess. 

Thanks guys for the morning doom & gloom report. It's still dark here but when the bright sun comes out today, I'll be sure to put on my rose-colored glasses.

...and you may well need them for the foreseeable future, sad as it is to say

6 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

...and you may well need them for the foreseeable future, sad as it is to say

Not my problem. BTW both the current CEOs of Google and Microsoft were born in India. Maybe they are just the kind of persons India needs to get them out of their current mess and their mess for the foreseeable future.

8 hours ago, hydraides said:

Honestly what exactly do you mean by this................how are Thai's being oppressed exactly?

How would things would dramatically improve with a new government?

You must have missed the coup in 2014 and you must have missed the banning of Thanathorn after the election when he got to many votes and now they want to ban his whole party and get rid of all the Fast Forward Party MP's in the Government so they can have a clear and "democratic" majority,You must have missed the fact that an army General made himself into the Prime Minister of Thailand without receiving one vote in the rigged election if you missed all these things it's no wonder you can't work out how Thai's are being oppressed.

Things like democracy would be dramatically improved people outside of Bangkok would receive a fairer share of the nations wealth. 

9 hours ago, hydraides said:

"....Thailand in to a fully democratic and progressive, free thinking country"

Honestly what exactly do you mean by this................how are Thai's being oppressed exactly?

How would things would dramatically improve with a new government?

Maybe its a case of grass is greener.......but day to day life for the majority of thai's is not going to change just because of a new government

Lets look at the USA "a fully democratic and progressive, free thinking country"........................Such a great country isn't it which has started the countless WARS in the past century and caused hundreds of thousands of deaths of civilians.................tortured prisoners..................only country to drop an atomic bomb innocent civilians killing 100,000+ .etc etc

----So please tell me why you think a fully democratic and progressive, free thinking country ======= better than the government that Thailand has at the moment? Because it certainly doesn't

How many wars has thailand started against other nations in the past century..............0........?

Thank you …..  for a very sensible comment.  I think most TV farang whinge about this government for the sake of whinging. Democracy is a smoke screen … 

Thai people are not being oppressed in anyway, they can still do as they would if it was anyone else in power.

Thailand's history and past is evidence that it needs someone of authority at the top or lawlessness will become prevalent. 

A post containing comments regarding the Royal family has been removed:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.

Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

Some posts baiting another member have been removed. 

2 hours ago, SkyFax said:

Not my problem. BTW both the current CEOs of Google and Microsoft were born in India. Maybe they are just the kind of persons India needs to get them out of their current mess and their mess for the foreseeable future.

Maybe you've missed the fairly obvious point that they had to leave India in order to realise their potential

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

Thank you …..  for a very sensible comment.  I think most TV farang whinge about this government for the sake of whinging. Democracy is a smoke screen … 

Thai people are not being oppressed in anyway, they can still do as they would if it was anyone else in power.

Thailand's history and past is evidence that it needs someone of authority at the top or lawlessness will become prevalent. 

So your saying just ignore:

- The enormous gap in income (biggest in the world)

- Lack of fair justice, decisions of courts way outside of either the intent or the written law

- Disgraceful level of education

- The masses put down in various ways, just one example; illegal to comment on court rulings

- Business operators allowed to stop competition

- Business 

- Large and small scale corruption getting worse

and lots more

38 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Maybe you've missed the fairly obvious point that they had to leave India in order to realise their potential

No I didn't -- I was responding to the comment above that the gent's son is "exactly the type of young educated people they (in Thailand) need to enable change" but now prefers to live in the US.

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

Lawlessness is not prevalent now?

Oh. Ma. Sides.

3 hours ago, SkyFax said:

Not quite sure what point you are trying to make here, but both Sundar Pichai & Satya Nadella are naturalized US citizens.

Both of them over the years have discussed their reasons for coming to the US for the better career opportunities.

Can't remember or find any mention that they left India because of military coups, suppression of free speech, appalling higher education, or any of the other myriad of structural problems that afflict Thailand.

India is far from perfect, but I guarantee you for every 10,000 Indian engineers in the US, you 'might' find one Thai, and my son may well be that one!

31 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Not quite sure what point you are trying to make here, but both Sundar Pichai & Satya Nadella are naturalized US citizens.

Both of them over the years have discussed their reasons for coming to the US for the better career opportunities.

Can't remember or find any mention that they left India because of military coups, suppression of free speech, appalling higher education, or any of the other myriad of structural problems that afflict Thailand.

India is far from perfect, but I guarantee you for every 10,000 Indian engineers in the US, you 'might' find one Thai, and my son may well be that one!

Well then it sounds like Thailand needs your son more than India needs Pichai and Nadella.

So good to see all the junta fan boys out in force with their ludicrous assumptions that Prayut & Co. are the best thing since sliced bread.

A very warm welcome to the new cadre of fan boys to, I'm sure you'll have loads of fun here ???? 

Tongue stuck firmly in cheek LOL 

31 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

So good to see all the junta fan boys out in force with their ludicrous assumptions that Prayut & Co. are the best thing since sliced bread.

A very warm welcome to the new cadre of fan boys to, I'm sure you'll have loads of fun here ???? 

Tongue stuck firmly in cheek LOL 

Tongue stuck firmly in cheek? Must be all that sliced bread.

I see that the police are going to prosecute Thanathorn over the Saturday rally for a 'breach of the law'. So, so predictable (in fact, I predicted it on Saturday!).

The Authorities are proving again and again that they are stifling every single human liberty. And they wonder why people are now protesting?!!

On 12/13/2019 at 6:00 PM, 3421abc said:

People of Hong Kong take a stand against a much more powerful opposition (China).

I think it is much easier for the Thai people to stand against the junta, there are cracks everywhere you look and every Thai I speak with is unhappy about the direction the country is going. I never ever hear anyone who is in favor of the dictator. Things are definitely heating up again and w the economy in the dumps it is a perfect recipe for mass protests.

Why would regular Thai people take a stand against the junta? The junta are MTGA ( Making Thailand Great Again ) by allowing unprecedented levels of corruption by non-HISO Thais for the first time in half a century. Non-HISO Thais are making a freaking killing under the junta. For all the anti-corruption moral busybodies that read this, you should know that corruption exists at high-levels in all countries ( particularly the USA ) but is typically reserved for the elites. In Thailand, that is changing.

Did you know that the wealthiest Thais are not HISO anymore? Nope, they all work at customs in Bangkok and work for the junta. Of course, this upsets the HISO crowd as they've traditionally had a lock on Thai customs for business, specifically the pharmaceutical import industry. After all, whoever runs customs, runs the country...especially a banana republic like Thailand that has to import everything.

Do you realize how many luxury clinics there are in Thailand that heavily rely on medical tourism? Do you realize that none of the drugs they sling at these clinics in Thailand are FDA approved? How and where do you think Thailand get the medicine that people from around the world flock to buy? How does Thailand have the most cutting-edge medical clinics for wealthy people in the world when virtually nothing they use here in these clinics has FDA approval? Who owns all the luxury clinics in Thailand? HISO. What happens when said clinics can't get access to all the illegal medicine they sell at these clinics because they're being blocked at customs control? They go out of business overnight.

Junta is no longer taking bribes from HISO businessman no matter how much money they throw at them, they are quite literally creating their own market and taking over all business in Thailand. HISO no longer controls customs and thus has lost its monopoly on Thai business.  Now, you can look at this as a bad thing or you can smell the opportunity. By accident, the junta has allowed it so that anyone, literally anyone, can become the next Pfizer in Thailand, especially if you're non-HISO. Tan skin works in your favor now. Being a farang also works in your favor now. For example, a friend of mine in the medical industry is working on getting 5 pharmaceuticals FDA approved in Thailand. It's looking like it's going to happen and once it does, it's game over. HISO can't do a darn thing and will have completely lost their monopoly on importing these 5 pharmaceuticals which are worth billions of USD.

But the real question is, how on Earth is a Thai from ISAN able to get FDA approval on drugs that are currently banned but widely sold in Thailand? Why haven't HISO gotten FDA approval yet for said drugs? The answer to that is extremely complicated but the short answer is that HISO realized a long time ago that it's far more profitable to keep things illegal. 

So yeah, if you're in touch with how business works in Thailand, you would realize that the opportunity in Thailand right now is freaking insane. It's pretty much a free for all. This is an extremely scary time for HISO business folks but an exciting time for new fish. The thought of anyone with tan skin having more money and power than them is truly scary for the HISO crowd as payback will be devastating.  That's KARMA for you though. HISO had a good run but it's now time for a change. #MTGA #MAGA

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. They may be more likely to go to Heaven yet at the same time likelier to make a Hell of earth. This very kindness stings with intolerable insult. To be "cured" against one's will and cured of states which we may not regard as disease is to be put on a level of those who have not yet reached the age of reason or those who never will; to be classed with infants, imbeciles, and domestic animals." - C.S. Lewis

Archived