Thai opposition leader asks supporters to mobilise in Bangkok on Saturday

webfact

6 hours ago, 3421abc said:

People of Hong Kong take a stand against a much more powerful opposition (China).

I think it is much easier for the Thai people to stand against the junta, there are cracks everywhere you look and every Thai I speak with is unhappy about the direction the country is going. I never ever hear anyone who is in favor of the dictator. Things are definitely heating up again and w the economy in the dumps it is a perfect recipe for mass protests.

HK people have a total different mindset than Thai people. So you will never see that happen in Thailand. However, I just can support your argument. I know not a single Thai under 35 who supports the government. Most of them totally hate Prayut and his fellows and they perfectly know what is going on. 

IMO Thailand needs time and the junta are dinosaurs. They won`t be able to keep that up forever without prohibiting elections (and the younger generation won`t accept that). The old generation got brainwashed for quite a long time, the young generation with the new technologies won`t follow.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, SpanishExpat said:

HK people have a total different mindset than Thai people. So you will never see that happen in Thailand. However, I just can support your argument. I know not a single Thai under 35 who supports the government. Most of them totally hate Prayut and his fellows and they perfectly know what is going on. 

IMO Thailand needs time and the junta are dinosaurs. They won`t be able to keep that up forever without prohibiting elections (and the younger generation won`t accept that). The old generation got brainwashed for quite a long time, the young generation with the new technologies won`t follow.

Not so sure about that if the discussions and hope and wishes of the majority of my bachelor students before the election is anything to go by.

14 hours ago, Eligius said:

I know what you mean, my friend, Canuckamuck - but I do think (from my own personal experience and observation) that a lot of YOUNG Thais (students, mainly) are really angry about what has been done to Thanathorn and the Future Forward Party. They don't need a billionaire to lure them out to protest. I think they are reaching the point where they have genuinely had enough (but sadly, I doubt that their numbers will be anywhere near sufficient to shift the balance of power) ...

And if they do there could be another Thammasat incident. 

10 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Lets see if more than a dozen people show up.

He's the leader of a huge party. There are plenty of people who will show up. He's not a kid either. He's 40 years old at least. I know plenty of people who would join if they are in the area.  There are a lot of people angry, depressed and literally hurting due to the economic turndown. People have been much more vocal than they were during the coup years when fear and censorship were everywhere including even here on TV. People will show up. It doesn't mean its the beginning of some sort of revolution. It is a good sign though.

Thanathorn warned he must seek police permission for public rally on Saturday

Thanathorn-protest.png

Police have warned Future Forward party leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit that he may be held accountable for inciting unrest, if he goes ahead with a public rally at the Pathumwan skywalk on Saturday without seeking prior permission from the police.

Deputy spokesman of the Royal Thai Police, Pol Col Krisana Pattanacharoen said today (Friday) that although Thanathorn, like other people, has the right to free expression in public, he must make sure that he does not affect the rights of other people or cause a breach of the peace.

Commenting on the planned protest tomorrow, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha asked whether it was appropriate for Thanathorn to urge other people to rally against a party issue.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thanathorn-warned-he-must-seek-police-permission-for-public-rally-on-saturday/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-12-14

7 hours ago, SpanishExpat said:

You can see that free will and freedom is coming to a slower grind. They are gravitating for controlling everything and will use technology to harness and keep the younger generation in the line they want them to walk. 

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Thanathorn-protest.png

Police have warned Future Forward party leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit that he may be held accountable for inciting unrest, if he goes ahead with a public rally at the Pathumwan skywalk on Saturday without seeking prior permission from the police.

Deputy spokesman of the Royal Thai Police, Pol Col Krisana Pattanacharoen said today (Friday) that although Thanathorn, like other people, has the right to free expression in public, he must make sure that he does not affect the rights of other people or cause a breach of the peace.

Commenting on the planned protest tomorrow, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha asked whether it was appropriate for Thanathorn to urge other people to rally against a party issue.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thanathorn-warned-he-must-seek-police-permission-for-public-rally-on-saturday/

thaipbs.jpg

What did I say a couple of pages back?! They will get Thanathorn on some silly concocted 'rule' - about not 'getting permission to demonstrate', or not getting the correct signatures of the correct Authorities, or causing 'dissension', or whatever daft rule they will invent on the spot.

I think quite a number of Thanathorn's supporters will turn up (I do not believe, as some posters here do, that it will only be a bare hundred or so; I think it will be close to a thousand or more) - but it will still be too few to pose a real challenge to the junta. The Thai people should remember that they are a nation of nearly 70 MILLION Thais ....!

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Thanathorn-protest.png

thaipbs.jpg

Has anyone seen any comment that he has sought / gained permission?

The max of 5 people era has finished (in my understanding), so what if the rule right now about maximum numbers and what are any other requirements or limitations?

I hope he and his party take the gathering step by step.

Doing it without a permit is just playing into the juntas hands.

The police refusing a permit might be a better strategic point to follow, with lots of publicity that the refusal breaks all protocols of democracy and with proof that they have organized appropriate means of crowd control / violence control, etc. 

Another point, if the police refuse permission, then how can they justify other groups being allowed to conduct rallies?

17 hours ago, nikmar said:

agreed. but i just cant see many people showing up. i hope he doesnt go down with a whimper!

It will show just how much guts the Thai people have and how much stomach they've got to oppose repression, my guess is they haven't got much of either.

11 minutes ago, Eligius said:

I think quite a number of Thanathorn's supporters will turn up (I do not believe, as some posters here do, that it will only be a bare hundred or so; I think it will be close to a thousand or more) - but it will still be too few to pose a real challenge to the junta. The Thai people should remember that they are a nation of nearly 70 MILLION Thais ....!

"A Journey of a Thousand Kilometres Must Start With a Single Step"

This brave young warrior politician activist is taking the first step. Whether they arrest him or not, a quiet (hopefully) revolution is about to begin. Arresting him will provoke others to retaliate and partake in future protests. If they don't arrest him, he will encourage more and larger protests.

I'd say the junta have met their match.

32 minutes ago, chainarong said:

It will show just how much guts the Thai people have and how much stomach they've got to oppose repression, my guess is they haven't got much of either.

More turn up for their free 1000k baht vouchers to waste in Tesco than will turn up to demonstrate against feudal oppression

18 hours ago, Somewhere In Time said:

Uh-oh...

SIT

Little boy billionaire wants to take the country away from the army bullies.  God love him.  He could make Thailand decent again. 

19 hours ago, webfact said:

"Now is the time for the people to stand up and demand justice and equality."

Those are foreign concepts to those who love coups.   Crazy authoritarian general in charge will make threats after he has his lunch.    

1 hour ago, ThaiBunny said:

You've carefully studied the events of 1976 then, or 1991, or 2010 or ... ?

Yes there is history but I somehow believe the current powers know that such actions won't be accepted again.

There's also the point that the powers have clearly obviously engineered very wrong and unethical guilty verdicts already on this guy and the students and more are angry know this and as close as ever seen to protest.

There's also the point that the economy is down, businesses going to the wall in large numbers plus tourism is down, and IMHO if the powers take any more unethical actions against thanathorn or the protestors then tourism will suffer in the high season stopping billions of Baht coming into the economy., and IMHO the powers will be blamed more then FF / the protestors will be blamed.  

I'm hoping the recently announced other civil society group pick this all up and react. 

7 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Very sadly It wouldn't surprise me, but that action may in fact generate even more general protests, interesting point. 

Yes, it's quite possible that several thousands of people will demonstrate eventually (in a population of 70 million).  And then -   General A. will be thrilled to launch a new coup (easy-peasy - coups are a dime a dozen here) - and the repression will be even worse next time round.

And all because the Thais stood by and let this happen bit by bit by bit over the past six years - and never stood firm together as a 70-million-strong nation and said 'NO!' when all the warning signs of what was being done to Thai liberties and human dignity were so clear to see.

If there 5,000 people turn up then there will be 20,000 troops present also and they wont have rubber bullets in their guns either. But this guy has got balls for even calling for a protest. How dare he do that calling for protest Haha we all know Thailand is such a democratic countrty dont we?

48 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Yes there is history but I somehow believe the current powers know that such actions won't be accepted again.

There's also the point that the powers have clearly obviously engineered very wrong and unethical guilty verdicts already on this guy and the students and more are angry know this and as close as ever seen to protest.

There's also the point that the economy is down, businesses going to the wall in large numbers plus tourism is down, and IMHO if the powers take any more unethical actions against thanathorn or the protestors then tourism will suffer in the high season stopping billions of Baht coming into the economy., and IMHO the powers will be blamed more then FF / the protestors will be blamed.  

I'm hoping the recently announced other civil society group pick this all up and react. 

Adjustment to the last line, should read ..the Law Council...'

Archived