Thai opposition leader asks supporters to mobilise in Bangkok on Saturday

webfact

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Yes there is history but I somehow believe the current powers know that such actions won't be accepted again.

There's also the point that the powers have clearly obviously engineered very wrong and unethical guilty verdicts already on this guy and the students and more are angry know this and as close as ever seen to protest.

There's also the point that the economy is down, businesses going to the wall in large numbers plus tourism is down, and IMHO if the powers take any more unethical actions against thanathorn or the protestors then tourism will suffer in the high season stopping billions of Baht coming into the economy., and IMHO the powers will be blamed more then FF / the protestors will be blamed.  

I'm hoping the recently announced other civil society group pick this all up and react. 

What people seems to forget or totally miss is the reason why they had the election in first place. It was because of foreign policy/trade, they wanted the arms trade with the US up and running again and the long wanted FTA with Europe. 

The election was enough for the first one to happen, but it won't be enough for FTA's with European.  The question is if they understand this, if they do and they still insist on a FTA with Europe then they will probaly not crack down more on opposition after this. At some point they have to let go of the totalitarianism in order for that boost in economy. 

They have a example just east of them, Cambodia is still being shut down on their requests on a FTA with Europe.  And the reason for that is because Hun Sen won't allow any real opposition to establish itself using the same means the junta currently does here in Thailand.  So either they are really naive and thought just holding a election was enough,  or they are are trying to figure out how much they need to soften up and will do so by time. 

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, TooBigToFit said:

Those who do speak up in any anti-regime or military protests deserve respect. Most Thais are too apathetic about things. And the foreigners who criticize are also apathetic too. While Thailand was under the junta, there weren't many foreigners protesting about what was happening. Don't blame Thai people because really foreigners are just the same. Maybe in their own nations, they might speak up and resist but most surely didn't even say a word in support of the protestors in Thailand. Now, a lot do on the forums but plenty connected to Thailand kept quiet out of fear of losing opportunity or angering their pro-regime friends or partners. Anyways, my voice is with those who condemn the human rights abuses and undemocratic ways going on here. In the end, most major change does come from small groups fighting for their rights while society looks on.

I think it unfair to brand foreigners living here as apathetic or inactive. As "guests" in the country we have no right to intervene, apart from voting with our feet. Those who make too much trouble will be dealt with by the authorities in power - it has happened before. 

Thanatorns' life expectancy is no longer something an actuary would care to calculate.

46 minutes ago, Chazar said:

The  real issue  here is Thais  just arent  hurting enough, life is  still pretty comfortable.

Yes, Chazar. If Facebook was totally banned, and Line, etc., plus all the Thai soap operas - that WOULD really hurt, and would spark a revolution.  I'm not joking!

48 minutes ago, Chazar said:

The  real issue  here is Thais  just arent  hurting enough, life is  still pretty comfortable.

I guess you need to start chopping off hands before they may react. Never seen more languid and unresponsive people. Sakdina runs in their veins.

The power and money hungry desperados in power will do anything they can to suppress legitimate opposition to their hapless rule. They should be afraid of him. He is this nations best hope to move forward. 

The Thai Army. Ensuring that the nation moves backwards and denying the masses a fair shake. 

20 hours ago, TooBigToFit said:

Those who do speak up in any anti-regime or military protests deserve respect. Most Thais are too apathetic about things. And the foreigners who criticize are also apathetic too. While Thailand was under the junta, there weren't many foreigners protesting about what was happening. Don't blame Thai people because really foreigners are just the same. Maybe in their own nations, they might speak up and resist but most surely didn't even say a word in support of the protestors in Thailand. Now, a lot do on the forums but plenty connected to Thailand kept quiet out of fear of losing opportunity or angering their pro-regime friends or partners. Anyways, my voice is with those who condemn the human rights abuses and undemocratic ways going on here. In the end, most major change does come from small groups fighting for their rights while society looks on.

Another know-all farang. "Most Thais ,,,,,,,,,," How do you know this? Because they don't behave how you think they should, providing they support your view of course?

Most Thais voted for the current government. FFP came third.

Are you French? Does your country have a history of anti-government protesters roaming the streets demanding their views are imposed on everyone else?

Deja vu.

A billionaire who owns a political party challenging other established billionaires fall foul of the law.

Why can't a billionaire, with vast resources at their disposal, find knowledgeable qualified aides capable of making sure they don't fall foul of laws like this?

Is it because they think they're above the law, or hire incompetent minions, or just can't be bothered with the detail?

The devil is always in the detail. Laws might be vague or specific, seem pedantic or not, but until changed are the law. 

You'd think someone who's an extremely wealthy business person, with political aspirations to reach the pinnacle of politics, might just know that it's worth making sure you don't break laws. Bit like showing yourself dashing from A to B and clearly ignoring speeding laws! 

Shoot yourself in the foot time, again!

28 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Deja vu.

A billionaire who owns a political party challenging other established billionaires fall foul of the law.

Why can't a billionaire, with vast resources at their disposal, find knowledgeable qualified aides capable of making sure they don't fall foul of laws like this?

Is it because they think they're above the law, or hire incompetent minions, or just can't be bothered with the detail?

The devil is always in the detail. Laws might be vague or specific, seem pedantic or not, but until changed are the law. 

You'd think someone who's an extremely wealthy business person, with political aspirations to reach the pinnacle of politics, might just know that it's worth making sure you don't break laws. Bit like showing yourself dashing from A to B and clearly ignoring speeding laws! 

Shoot yourself in the foot time, again!

You seem pretty big on adhering to the law for others,you must be the only adult person in the universe not to have transgressed any laws and if you have then you argument falls flat on it's face. 

Just now, Baerboxer said:

This is the position simply put. To survive in the world of politics he should not have fallen foul of the laws despite the speed required to get the party established for the elections. Legally, he owned the shares and loaned the money. I draw no conclusions or form any opinions, but seeking permission for a "potentially large" rally seems a logical thing to do given past history. 

I hope whatever protest eventuates, it is lawful and peaceful. 

If this rally does go ahead then it will only take a very small amount of trouble to appear and it will give the (Fake) government all the political ammunition it needs to justify dissolving the party and banning all its leadership from holding a political position for life.

Such is the tyranny that this country is subject to. Such a sad, sad, state of affairs.

I forgot to add that it is not above this government to supplant troublemakers into any crowd.

35 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

You seem pretty big on adhering to the law for others,you must be the only adult person in the universe not to have transgressed any laws and if you have then you argument falls flat on it's face. 

I don't knowingly break laws, or plan to. I doubt that is the case here.

But, knowing how the legal system works here, knowing the way transgressions that seem minor, petty and/or accidental can and often are seized on and enforced when deemed appropriate, wouldn't you, as a billionaire with ample resources to do so, have made sure you and your party were squeaky clean as the actions you were taken would attract microscopic attention?

I am trying to explore reasons as to why no action was taken to ensure all rules were followed, all i's crossed and t's dotted, when it would be obvious that things would be looked at over and over to find things if necessary. 

Careless, couldn't be bothered, arrogance, - I really don't know. But having seen previous people brought down it would seem naive at best to ignore it.

34 minutes ago, IsaanAussie said:

This is the position simply put. To survive in the world of politics he should not have fallen foul of the laws despite the speed required to get the party established for the elections. Legally, he owned the shares and loaned the money. I draw no conclusions or form any opinions, but seeking permission for a "potentially large" rally seems a logical thing to do given past history. 

I hope whatever protest eventuates, it is lawful and peaceful. 

Correct. You have to play by the rules in place. If not you leave yourself wide open. And they will dig and dig and dig.

50 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

I don't knowingly break laws, or plan to. I doubt that is the case here.

But, knowing how the legal system works here, knowing the way transgressions that seem minor, petty and/or accidental can and often are seized on and enforced when deemed appropriate, wouldn't you, as a billionaire with ample resources to do so, have made sure you and your party were squeaky clean as the actions you were taken would attract microscopic attention?

I am trying to explore reasons as to why no action was taken to ensure all rules were followed, all i's crossed and t's dotted, when it would be obvious that things would be looked at over and over to find things if necessary. 

Careless, couldn't be bothered, arrogance, - I really don't know. But having seen previous people brought down it would seem naive at best to ignore it.

You can obey all the rules but still be found liable if the courts are rigged.

16 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

You can obey all the rules but still be found liable if the courts are rigged.

Correct, Edwinchester.

There is no genuine 'rule of law' here. It is a lawless land (in actuality).

In fact, the regime has not even sworn to uphold the Constitution - so everything it opines, says, does, enacts and enforces is UTTERLY WITHOUT TRUE LEGAL VALIDITY.

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Thanathorn warned he must seek police permission for public rally on Saturday

Thanathorn-protest.png

Police have warned Future Forward party leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit that he may be held accountable for inciting unrest, if he goes ahead with a public rally at the Pathumwan skywalk on Saturday without seeking prior permission from the police.

Deputy spokesman of the Royal Thai Police, Pol Col Krisana Pattanacharoen said today (Friday) that although Thanathorn, like other people, has the right to free expression in public, he must make sure that he does not affect the rights of other people or cause a breach of the peace.

Commenting on the planned protest tomorrow, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha asked whether it was appropriate for Thanathorn to urge other people to rally against a party issue.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thanathorn-warned-he-must-seek-police-permission-for-public-rally-on-saturday/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-12-14

Prayut as usual clueless.

I predicted much earlier in this thread that 'they' would go after Thanathorn due to some non-compliance with some convenient rule or law that they will invoke. And now they are doing that, it seems.

Also: if Thanathorn HAD requested permission from the police and authorities for this rally/ run, it would of course have essentially been denied him, as 'it will cause dissension and confusion amongst the Thai people'.

Simple as that.

When you control EVERY organ of (illicit) power, you can do and say whatever you want. Thanathorn and his party CANNOT win through any allegedly legal means. That is an utter impossibility (not least because there is no GENUINE law in Thailand!).

19 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

If HK people can do it why not Thais?

A significant clue lies in their respective positions in PISA educational tables. HK people are intelligent,educated,well informed,aware ,motivated and with knowledge of the outside world..all the things the average Thai isn’t.

On 12/13/2019 at 3:37 PM, Eligius said:

I know what you mean, my friend, Canuckamuck - but I do think (from my own personal experience and observation) that a lot of YOUNG Thais (students, mainly) are really angry about what has been done to Thanathorn and the Future Forward Party. They don't need a billionaire to lure them out to protest. I think they are reaching the point where they have genuinely had enough (but sadly, I doubt that their numbers will be anywhere near sufficient to shift the balance of power)

A lot of young Thais who will be finding life hard in 2020 trying to find suitable employment.. 

they will take to the streets.

Archived