Thai opposition leader asks supporters to mobilise in Bangkok on Saturday

webfact

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

well good for you ….  don't forget to write  !

???????????? see yah-enjoy the polluted dictatorship failing in all possible ways-nothing wrong going with the lowest common denominator ???? if you have to

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

I don't knowingly break laws, or plan to. I doubt that is the case here.

But, knowing how the legal system works here, knowing the way transgressions that seem minor, petty and/or accidental can and often are seized on and enforced when deemed appropriate, wouldn't you, as a billionaire with ample resources to do so, have made sure you and your party were squeaky clean as the actions you were taken would attract microscopic attention?

I am trying to explore reasons as to why no action was taken to ensure all rules were followed, all i's crossed and t's dotted, when it would be obvious that things would be looked at over and over to find things if necessary. 

Careless, couldn't be bothered, arrogance, - I really don't know. But having seen previous people brought down it would seem naive at best to ignore it.

Prayut knowing broke the law when executed his coup in 2014 and a pretty major incursion it was as well,to say others should adhere to the rule of law,laws he alone instituted,is really beyond a kindergarten joke.He set the rule that anyone can usurp power with any force one can muster.Prayut can't demand adherence to the law without being a total hypocrite.

You say you've never knowingly broke the law meaning you've never driven a car more the 60kmh in a 60kmh zone?Never Jay walked?I find it very hard to believe you've never knowingly broken a law in your life."Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone" said one who transgressed and was nailed to a wooden cross.

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

well good for you ….  don't forget to write  !

Hi Steven100 I was wondering if this story would lure you back into the fold I trust you've been well?Just for the record I won't be going and where and would gladly stand in front of Prayuth's gun and give him the middle finger being the larrikin I am.   

11 minutes ago, dcnx said:

So about 200 people showed up?

Looks like the junta is going to be here for a while.

I will be the first to admit that I underestimated how many people would show up: I thought it would be around 1,000 or so, but watching the live feed, I reckon it was probably 3,000, possibly 5,000.

As I said in an earlier post, the young Thais (mainly students) are really cheesed off about what is being done to Thanathorn and the Future Forward Party and they have had enough. 

As poster Neeray said in an earlier post, this demo today will just be the start: the numbers are likely to increase in the New Year.

I still fear, however, that the numbers will be just about right (eventually) to allow for General A. to stage a much-longed-for (by him) coup, and then the repression will be even worse than under P. 

I cannot see any way forward without the millions and millions and millions (not just thousands) of Thais making their views and feelings known ...

Seems like it's for real. If they dissolve them it's just gonna get worse and if the military steps in and use force the democracy charade will be totally. 

Must say that the army and c/o really aren't the brightest bunch. 

Emotionally the rally is the right thing, sadly the authorities will use this against the pro-democracy groups as they did not had permission to protest... not that the law is worth anything, the general that couped did something punishable by death or life in jail, yet he walks since he is 'one of the good guys' .  Democracy is seen as a great evil, Future Forward being labeled ชังชาติ, literally  'hating the nation', often translated as 'unpatriotic' in various English media.  

A thousand people protesting won't cut it, it will take millions to remove the BLEEPS high up in power who see the common folk as nothing but ants. 

27 minutes ago, Donutz said:

Emotionally the rally is the right thing, sadly the authorities will use this against the pro-democracy groups as they did not had permission to protest... not that the law is worth anything, the general that couped did something punishable by death or life in jail, yet he walks since he is 'one of the good guys' .  Democracy is seen as a great evil, Future Forward being labeled ชังชาติ, literally  'hating the nation', often translated as 'unpatriotic' in various English media.  

A thousand people protesting won't cut it, it will take millions to remove the BLEEPS high up in power who see the common folk as nothing but ants. 

I think you and I see things in a similar light, Donutz.

Literally for years I have been saying that it will take more than a handful of thousands on the streets to restore democracy. I keep banging on (to the point of boredom, I know!) about Thailand's having a population of 70 MILLION. There is strength in numbers. But without that - Thai freedom and Thai democracy are gone forever ...

"....Thailand in to a fully democratic and progressive, free thinking country"

Honestly what exactly do you mean by this................how are Thai's being oppressed exactly?

How would things would dramatically improve with a new government?

Maybe its a case of grass is greener.......but day to day life for the majority of thai's is not going to change just because of a new government

Lets look at the USA "a fully democratic and progressive, free thinking country"........................Such a great country isn't it which has started the countless WARS in the past century and caused hundreds of thousands of deaths of civilians.................tortured prisoners..................only country to drop an atomic bomb innocent civilians killing 100,000+ .etc etc

----So please tell me why you think a fully democratic and progressive, free thinking country ======= better than the government that Thailand has at the moment? Because it certainly doesn't

How many wars has thailand started against other nations in the past century..............0........?

44 minutes ago, hydraides said:

"....Thailand in to a fully democratic and progressive, free thinking country"

Honestly what exactly do you mean by this................how are Thai's being oppressed exactly?

How would things would dramatically improve with a new government?

Maybe its a case of grass is greener.......but day to day life for the majority of thai's is not going to change just because of a new government

Lets look at the USA "a fully democratic and progressive, free thinking country"........................Such a great country isn't it which has started the countless WARS in the past century and caused hundreds of thousands of deaths of civilians.................tortured prisoners..................only country to drop an atomic bomb innocent civilians killing 100,000+ .etc etc

----So please tell me why you think a fully democratic and progressive, free thinking country ======= better than the government that Thailand has at the moment? Because it certainly doesn't

How many wars has thailand started against other nations in the past century..............0........?

Food for thought.

Moral of the story, no country in history has the moral high ground to teach lessons to another country.

3 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

well it was live on Facebook for over 1 hour and attracted 2 million viewers,not including

twitter and Line.

Yes: I, for one, am grateful to you, White Christmas13, for linking to that vital live video at the time that the event was actually taking place. It was very instructive - and taught me that I had been too pessimistic when I predicted that only around a thousand protesters would show up. It was heartening to see a much larger number (from 3,000 to possibly 5,000?). Prayut will not be quivering in his boots yet - but this will give him (and General Apirat) pause for thought ...

9 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Most Thais voted for the current government. FFP came third.

One of the reasons why the current government is the current government is, because the Democrats said before the elections, that they will vote against Prayuth and go after the election with Prayuth. And there are some more other well known things they happened before and after the election to make sure that Prayuth will win.

Just now, CNXexpat said:

One of the reasons why the current government is the current government is, because the Democrats said before the elections, that they will vote against Prayuth and go after the election with Prayuth. And there are some more other well known things they happened before and after the election to make sure that Prayuth will win.

Anyone who believes that the election was not rigged by the collective cabal of Authorities, lied about, manipulated, doctored from top to bottom, before, during and after, crosswise and lengthwise, below and stratospherically beyond is .... well, I don't want to get thrown off Thaivisa for using a nasty, chiding word!

6 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

Thanks for that, White Christmas13. It is so amusing and ridiculous that P. has said that it is inappropriate to hold such an event at the end of the year. For him and his gang, holding it in the beginning, middle, mid-way, on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Extra (junta-invented) day would always be wrong and 'inappropriate' - because freedom, justice and democracy can never, ever, be permitted ...!

3 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Thanks for that, White Christmas13. It is so amusing and ridiculous that P. has said that it is inappropriate to hold such an event at the end of the year. For him and his gang, holding it in the beginning, middle, mid-way, on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Extra (junta-invented) day would always be wrong and 'inappropriate' - because freedom, justice and democracy can never, ever, be permitted ...!

Thanks for supporting Thai people I know there is nothing we can do, only encourage your

Thai friends to support Thanathorn and his party. I have him on my friends list and talk to

him when ever he is not to busy,I also talk to his friends and supporters. I got laugh at, not

long ago, when I mentioned I have 2500 Thai friends on my list and not 1 of them likes P.

3 hours ago, Eligius said:

Literally for years I have been saying that it will take more than a handful of thousands on the streets to restore democracy. I keep banging on (to the point of boredom, I know!) about Thailand's having a population of 70 MILLION. There is strength in numbers.

Earlier this year I met a Thai professor (who fled abroad from his beloved coubtry), he spoke to me about the theory of 'ant overthrow elephants'. One single any won't be able to topple an elephant,  but if millions of ants crawl all over and into the beast, they can bring it down. 

I share his hope but I hope it can be done without yet an other bloodshed. Or perhaps (sadly) a bloodshed would finally trigger all the other ants to bring down the beast. Obviously loss of lives would pain me greatly.

Me and my wife were watching this on TV earlier this morning. 

And as much as we would like it to make something change, history teaches us that it's all going to result in nothing.

My wife, wise woman that she is see's, it this way.

You can mobilize an educated young elite with the prospect of a better Thailand, but while you have a huge swath of the population uneducated and try trying to make a living to survive, the junta know they are on the winning side of that equation.

There are so much fundamental issues that need to be addressed before you can even think that anything will change.

My wife is headed back to Thailand in 2 weeks for a month to visit family. This is the first year, I just can't be bothered.

She's now at the point where is has basically given up on the country and is just biding her time for the next 2 years until she can become a US citizen.

Our son, who is a US citizen and now lives in the US, is exactly the type of young educated people they need to enable change, but for him going back to Thailand is never going to be an option.

I honestly don't know what the future holds for the country, but it's a sorta bleak outlook right now  

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

Me and my wife were watching this on TV earlier this morning. 

And as much as we would like it to make something change, history teaches us that it's all going to result in nothing.

My wife, wise woman that she is see's, it this way.

You can mobilize an educated young elite with the prospect of a better Thailand, but while you have a huge swath of the population uneducated and try trying to make a living to survive, the junta know they are on the winning side of that equation.

There are so much fundamental issues that need to be addressed before you can even think that anything will change.

My wife is headed back to Thailand in 2 weeks for a month to visit family. This is the first year, I just can't be bothered.

She's now at the point where is has basically given up on the country and is just biding her time for the next 2 years until she can become a US citizen.

Our son, who is a US citizen and now lives in the US, is exactly the type of young educated people they need to enable change, but for him going back to Thailand is never going to be an option.

I honestly don't know what the future holds for the country, but it's a sorta bleak outlook right now  

Thailand is a lost cause on so many levels. From education to police to the military to road carnage to their way of thinking and lack of action to their xenophobia and all the way up to THE guy they all have to worship. There’s no fixing this mess. 

Archived