Climate change and Thailand

Misab

I'm not sure how much climate change will affect Thailand. Bangkok and the Mekong are the most prominent environs to be affected if it happens as projected.

Here's a straw in the wind from Australia.

https://www.theage.com.au/environment/weather/like-a-furnace-massive-heatwave-could-roast-australian-records-20191213-p53jps.html

The more immediate problem in Thailand is pollution, particularly the air we breathe.

• Like 1

What a laugh, you have made my day, all these doomsday predictions about sea level rises have been a fast for the last 20 years.

I agree, identifying the environmental issues and cleaning them up is a fantastic observation, especially in this country. 

Please keep focusing on the environmental damage and associated restoration but as for your CC doomsday sea level rises associated with your observations, Nah! 

You know the old saying, "correlation does not imply causation"  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Misab said:

Berrec look here;

According to Google;

Sea levels could rise as much as 19 inches by 2050, ( ½ meter) according to what the report calls “mid-range projections.” The team used data from the U.S. Geological Survey to map all areas along the continental U.S. coastline containing homes that lie within one to 10 feet from the water level at high tide.

Temperature rising is at the moment the biggest problem.

According to NASA this is how it looks from 1885 to 2015:

image.png.0287323035f62a456587b08b7ff66748.png

image.png.076e2ceb309ac11dcabeedd9f2b34f37.png

image.png.285081148fb535900f4c7e8a93d8a1c9.png

If you would delve a little deeper, there is an interesting video (maybe more than one) on You Tube, with charts and graphs, which shows just how Nasa has manipulated, not to say falsified, various data, to align itself with global warming/ climate change theories and postulations (by the doomsayers).

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Depends where you live, same same in many other countries why pick on Thailand.

It might be the same in many Asian countries and perhaps some African countries but if you look at Canada, Europe, South Amerika, USA you really have to search to find pollution above 50

14 minutes ago, allanos said:

If you would delve a little deeper, there is an interesting video (maybe more than one) on You Tube, with charts and graphs, which shows just how Nasa has manipulated, not to say falsified, various data, to align itself with global warming/ climate change theories and postulations (by the doomsayers).

A video produced by the oil companies ? or by who?

The climate change problem is not unique to Thailand or Asia, it is all the countries in the world

Generally the solution of government is to impose taxes and offer subsidies which everybody ends up paying and the climate continues to change as it has always done.

Now pollution is something govt can control and could start by banning all personal motor vehicles from the centre of Bangkok city since the transportation system is quite good.

Edited by userabcd

7 minutes ago, userabcd said:

The climate change problem is not unique to Thailand or Asia, it is all the countries in the world

Generally the solution of government is to impose taxes and offer subsidies which everybody ends up paying and the climate continues to change as it has always done.

Now pollution is something govt can control and could start by banning all personal motor vehicles from the centre of Bangkok city since the transportation system is quite good.

agree, "climate change problem is not unique to Thailand or Asia, it is all the countries in the world"       but not air pollution it is mostly an Asian problem caused by burning.

Edited by Misab

21 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I'm not sure how much climate change will affect Thailand. Bangkok and the Mekong are the most prominent environs to be affected if it happens as projected.

Here's a straw in the wind from Australia.

https://www.theage.com.au/environment/weather/like-a-furnace-massive-heatwave-could-roast-australian-records-20191213-p53jps.html

The more immediate problem in Thailand is pollution, particularly the air we breathe.

Yes, particularly the air we breathe.

16 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

If you look at the changes taking place in northern Thailand you will see that climate change is already affecting weather patterns.  Only a few years ago the south west monsoon coming off the Andaman sea was fairly dependable to bring rains to central Thailand and the north east.. the pattern from this monsoon now seems to be much drier & drought in many areas that used to get predictable seasonal rains from this monsoon.  Now very heavy rains on the south west coast and up in Chiang Mai area..but..  Korat, Phitsanulok, Khon Kaen & Kalasin, Mahasarakham and many other areas have been left dry..  The north east monsoon that comes through the Philippines has been getting much stronger due to rising sea temperatures.. bringing unprecedented flooding to many areas that have missed out on the south west monsoon.  The times they are a changin..  

Very good observations.

Here in Eastern Isaan, two seasons (out of three) have more or less disapperared during this decade: 

- the winter season...I need to keep my aircon turned on at night (25 degrees C) almost year round, while I used to shut it down for about four months in the past

- the rain season...this year, the only rainfall we got was from the two big tropical depressions coming from the Pacific and causing major flooding...and absolutely nothing from the regular monsoon from the Indian ocean.

These patterns are increasing year after year.

Having said that, while I totally disagree with the deniers' brigade, it is true that there are more pressing issues than climate change: generally speaking the poisoning of the air we breathe, the water we drink and the food we eat.

This is partially the result of toxic emissions, especially for the air, but also from plastic pollution (there are now plastic particles everywhere and in everything), and of course the use of pesticides and other manmade chemicals.

All this is going to kill us, and countless other species, much faster than climate change.

Actually it is already, with an explosion of cancers, notably in Thailand, and respiratory troubles.

This doesn't make the headlines because it is much more frightening and immediate than long term changes related to the climate...and obviously the concerned industries have no intention of stopping their criminal activities (see the trouble to remove just three farming products in Thailand and the immediate threats brandished by the Empire).

When it's all said and done, I am more concerned by my relatives or myself getting badly sick from poisoning than by a lack of rain or cool weather resulting from climate change.

Humans have made such a mess in the past hundred years that they have to select which disasters they need to prioritize, and which ones they can deal with later...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Misab said:

Climate change is a controversial topic, it has become like religion, facts are inferior, huge financial interests are at stake, with plenty of lobbying from the Oil Companies
The Center for Climate Research at the University of Copenhagen conducts ice drilling in Greenland. Analyzes show that for the last 800,000 years, no greenhouse gas values have been seen reaching a level similar to what we have now. The level before the 19th century was around 200 ppm. In January 2019, the measurement reached 410 ppm and continues to increase. It is well known that the average temperature follows up on CO2.
       Personally, I think we have passed the point where climate change can be stopped because CO2 stays in the atmosphere, nobody knows exactly how long, but guessing somewhere between 20 and 200 years.

I would disagree. Climate change has and is changing, right from the beginning. Climate Change entails all conditions that affects the climate on Earth from the influences of the local universe to changes due to directly as a result activity on Earth itself. Global Warning, on the other hand deals with the surface temperature just Earth itself. It is a scientific fact that all animals affect their environment in one way or another and Human beings are no different. There is also some fresh evidence that the dinosaurs were dying out before the the asteroid struck which probably sealed the fate. The larger animals needed vasts amounts food so it's no wonder that supply became exhausted.

The question really is, are we doing the same? Ha, okay we aren't massive in body size but populations have increased and one wonders if we will reach a critical point either by environmental change or by exhausting supply.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, allanos said:

Link please

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Misab said:

Berrec look here;

According to Google;

Sea levels could rise as much as 19 inches by 2050, ( ½ meter) according to what the report calls “mid-range projections.” The team used data from the U.S. Geological Survey to map all areas along the continental U.S. coastline containing homes that lie within one to 10 feet from the water level at high tide.

On 12/13/2019 at 5:50 PM, Misab said:

"Every day you can see the pollution."

I can't see any pollution where I'm staying. You seem a bit paranoid. Just relax. Soon it's Christmas. 

• Haha 1

Do any of you seriously believe that khun Somchai in deepest Isaan, Mae Hong Son or even Chonburi, has heard of, knows anything about, understands the issues, or cares about Global Warming, or the potential drowning of Venice (where?) or Bangkok? No. He does not.

Do any of you seriously believe that said person knows understands or cares about PM 2-250, plastics, whales, hand washing, flushing toilets, flukes or aids? No. He does not.

Does he understand that breathing smoke, be it cigarettes, tokes, burning rubber tires or rice fields, can kill? No, he does not.

Does he understand that the taxes he should, could and might pay belong to him, not the government/hisos. Ditto the brown envelopes? No.

Does he understand that crash helmets and seat belts work, and amulets do not? No.

Is there any incentive for him to learn? Quite the reverse, the anti-thought, anti-questioning conditioning is way too effective.

Poor Somchai, Poor Thailand. Vive l'aristocracie! (Forgive the spelling)

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Misab said:

Climate change is a controversial topic, it has become like religion, facts are inferior, huge financial interests are at stake, with plenty of lobbying from the Oil Companies
The Center for Climate Research at the University of Copenhagen conducts ice drilling in Greenland. Analyzes show that for the last 800,000 years, no greenhouse gas values have been seen reaching a level similar to what we have now. The level before the 19th century was around 200 ppm. In January 2019, the measurement reached 410 ppm and continues to increase. It is well known that the average temperature follows up on CO2.
       Personally, I think we have passed the point where climate change can be stopped because CO2 stays in the atmosphere, nobody knows exactly how long, but guessing somewhere between 20 and 200 years.

Blaming CO2 for global warming - particularly the small percentage attributed to anthopogenic causes - simply doesn't make sense. The Medieval warm period saw global temperatures substantially higher than now with far less CO2 in the atmosphere.

Hot weather and climate change – a mountain from a ...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Misab said:

Berrec look here;

According to Google;

They made the same predictions 40 years ago. About time you did some real research.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Very good observations.

Here in Eastern Isaan, two seasons (out of three) have more or less disapperared during this decade: 

- the winter season...I need to keep my aircon turned on at night (25 degrees C) almost year round, while I used to shut it down for about four months in the past

- the rain season...this year, the only rainfall we got was from the two big tropical depressions coming from the Pacific and causing major flooding...and absolutely nothing from the regular monsoon from the Indian ocean.

These patterns are increasing year after year.

Having said that, while I totally disagree with the deniers' brigade, it is true that there are more pressing issues than climate change: generally speaking the poisoning of the air we breathe, the water we drink and the food we eat.

This is partially the result of toxic emissions, especially for the air, but also from plastic pollution (there are now plastic particles everywhere and in everything), and of course the use of pesticides and other manmade chemicals.

All this is going to kill us, and countless other species, much faster than climate change.

Actually it is already, with an explosion of cancers, notably in Thailand, and respiratory troubles.

This doesn't make the headlines because it is much more frightening and immediate than long term changes related to the climate...and obviously the concerned industries have no intention of stopping their criminal activities (see the trouble to remove just three farming products in Thailand and the immediate threats brandished by the Empire).

When it's all said and done, I am more concerned by my relatives or myself getting badly sick from poisoning than by a lack of rain or cool weather resulting from climate change.

Humans have made such a mess in the past hundred years that they have to select which disasters they need to prioritize, and which ones they can deal with later...

Having lived here for two decades, I agree that weather patterns (particularly those related to the monsoon seasons) seem to have changed. However, I have yet to see any convincing evidence linking this to global warming.

The climate is constantly changing as the planet heats up on its way out of the last ice age and will continue to do so for some time, bringing further changes to global weather patterns which we are powerless to control.

However, you are absolutely right about the need urgently to tackle global problems whose origins are easily identifiable and  - compared with climate change - relatively straightforward to solve. Doing so will, of course, require a lot of money and a great deal political tenacity of the kind now being lavished on the dubious cause of fighting a climate apocalypse which may never happen.

Edited by Krataiboy