Dead bodies - why are they so important?

OneMoreFarang

Today we see in the news that with lots of cost and efforts 6 dead bodies were "brought back".

Stories like this are all the time in the news.

Sometimes the people died just days ago. But sometimes it's also i.e. about people who died decades ago.

What's the point of bringing these dead bodies back? Or to be precise what is the point of taking huge risks and spending lots of money for dead bodies?

These are dead bodies. They are not living people anymore. And in some cases there are only (a few) bones left.

What's the point of this?

Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to use the money and resources to help living people?

If i.e. my mother died somewhere on an island a month ago. And someone would bring the body back. Would I want to see her dead body after the animals fed on her dead body? No!

So maybe her dead body would be burned and then I get a box of ashes. And then I am supposed to look at that box with ashes and remember my mother or what's the idea?

I think there is no point doing this.

What's your opinion.

I would tend to agree, especially the people who spend 10s of Thousands of $$$ to repatriate a body from Thailand back to the west, only to have a cremation there. 

I had a mate pass away here, his sister came over and a small ceremony and cremation here, sister took his ashes back in her carry-on luggage. They had a huge funeral back in Australia with his ashes at the front of the church instead of a body.

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to use the money and resources to help living people?

Simply Yes in my book of life but many people are different maybe one thing is religious beliefs or something else. 

You're making a good point here. I guess i'll never understand the one year after death merit that's usually held as it was a cremation.

One of them was insane, a Morlam dance band, very sexy dressed in Miniskirts and that was inside our village temple. You didn't see the monks, they were all hiding from a secure distance.

Why would somebody keep the ashes of a relative at home and look at it from time to time? It's just ashes, there's no relation to the living person anymore.

Some even make weird things with the bones that are kept somewhere and people believe these bones would somehow point at the next lottery numbers?

These merits after one year are often really expensive with food, drinks and live music. I come to the same conclusion, why do they not use this money for the living?

Whenever I drive to the village it's a must to use the horn three times to "greet the ghosts"? Same goes when I'm heading back, wifey always reminds me when I forget it.

2 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

You're making a good point here. I guess i'll never understand the one year after death merit that's usually held as it was a cremation.

One of them was insane, a Morlam dance band, very sexy dressed in Miniskirts and that was inside our village temple. You didn't see the monks, they were all hiding from a secure distance.

Why would somebody keep the ashes of a relative at home and look at it from time to time? It's just ashes, there's no relation to the living person anymore.

Some even make weird things with the bones that are kept somewhere and people believe these bones would somehow point at the next lottery numbers?

These merits after one year are often really expensive with food, drinks and live music. I come to the same conclusion, why do they not use this money for the living?

Whenever I drive to the village it's a must to use the horn three times to "greet the ghosts"? Same goes when I'm heading back, wifey always reminds me when I forget it.

Different people have different beliefs, and ways of coping with the death of a loved one.

We are in the US now, my wife's Mom passed away less than a year ago, (lovely lady), her Dad a few years ago (great guy) . My wife has a small portion of their ash on the nightstand next to our bed. she has a mini altar with their picture and Buddha, she prays every night facing them, and keeps fresh flowers, she always says that her Mom likes the Yellow roses, she talks of them as if they are still alive but went on a trip.  In Thailand we take their favorite food to the temple for them to eat (I am sure the monks enjoy it LOL) .

Any way it is a coping mechanism and if it helps my wife deal with the loss I am all for it. Repatriating the bodies is probably a way of keeping the family together in life and in death. They see death differently than we do . for instance  Crying is discouraged during the funeral, so as not to worry the spirit of the deceased. , so they obviously still see a transactional connection one that might not be able to occur if the body was at another country.  

Archived