No monthly income method in 2020

I just renewed my retirement extension yesterday in Nakhon Phanom using the monthly income method. The head immigration officer that signed and approved my visa told me that I have to switch to the 800 thousand in the bank method in 2020. Because the US embassy is no longer doing the notarized affidavit letter to verify my income.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

A goodly number of expats have reported successful extensions using the income method thus far this year this year. Interesting that not one of them has reported being told about this. There was certainly no hint of it at Sakon Nakhon.

Why should Nakhon Phanom be so different? Maybe the boss there is trying to reduce his post income letters workload.

32 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

How did you do this year?  The alternative to Consulate letters of income is bank record of 65k per month deposits - which I suspect you used?

My monthly deposits come through the bank of Bangkok New York branch from a direct deposit from the US veterans administration. I presented a sealed letter from the VA to confirm where the money came from.

• Thanks 1

Actually I was at my IO this morning to Inquire about the Health Insurance, before my next "Thai wife extension" next month. There were goods news on the HI front, but also, when my wife asked if there was any other new requirement they mentioned something about proof of income, but we weren't interested, as the 400k in bank is a total no brainer as far as we are concerned.

• Confused 2

24 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is certainly incorrect info from the officer.

Maybe he wants you to it using the money in the bank option next year instead of transfers to prove your income.

I do not want to change from the monthly income method to having to deposit 800 thousand baht to get my next years visa. So what should I do? It seems like they change the immigration officers every year. I guess I will have to wait until next August 3 months before my renewal time to see what immigration says about it then. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Puchaiyank said:

The frustration is the maverick rogue IO who insists on a continuous visa hassle.  Hard to relax because if the "unknown requirement" factor...

But hey...small price for a slice of paradise...

If this news proves to be true for 2020, our slice corner of paradise is becoming ever day more little for many foreigners

Amen.

3 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

The frustration is the maverick rogue IO who insists on a continuous visa hassle.  Hard to relax because if the "unknown requirement" factor...

But hey...small price for a slice of paradise...

amen. I just need to know wh wat to xo.   ca  use Transferwise  it how much s

month is the law?

• Confused 4

6 minutes ago, SailingHome said:

Amen.

amen. I just need to know wh wat to xo.   ca  use Transferwise  it how much s

month is the law?

Retirement extension of stay requires not less than 65,000 baht transfer into Thai account each month for previous 12 consecutive months.

16 hours ago, kiteman9 said:

My monthly deposits come through the bank of Bangkok New York branch from a direct deposit from the US veterans administration. I presented a sealed letter from the VA to confirm where the money came from.

Did you present a letter from Bangkok Bank showing 12 months of FTT/deposits from outside Thailand?

18 hours ago, kiteman9 said:

just renewed my retirement extension yesterday in Nakhon Phanom using the monthly income method. The head immigration officer that signed and approved my visa told me that I have to switch to the 800 thousand in the bank method in 2020. Because the US embassy is no longer doing the notarized affidavit letter to verify my income.

Did you use the embassy affidavit this time? How old was it? They stopped issuing them at the beginning of the year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pmarlin said:

Did you present a letter from Bangkok Bank showing 12 months of FTT/deposits from outside Thailand?

Yes I had submitted letters from Bangkok Bank showing 12 months of FTT/deposits from outside Thailand. After signing my name at least 50 times and getting my passport stamped from the first immigration officer I was sent to the head man to get the final approval and his signature. Once that was all done he informed my Thai wife and I that to get my next years visa that I will have to use the 800 thousand in the bank method. Because that they no longer get the letter from the US embassy to confirm income. Even though I had 2 letters from the US veterans administration stating my income. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, berrec said:

Why should Nakhon Phanom be so different?

The officer may have said or meant that he can't do the monthly income method by using an embassy letter.

Some things are lost in translation or the poste or his wife interpreted what was said differently from what the officer said.

The O/P doesn't seem to be all that reliable regarding the whole process if this is the first he heard about the embassy no longer issuing income affidavits. Sometimes it's the farang who has things the wrong way around, not the immigration officer. If they accepted his VA document this time, it seems they were being very lenient.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

The officer may have said or meant that he can't do the monthly income method by using an embassy letter.

Some things are lost in translation or the poster interpreted what was said differently from what the officer said.

The O/P doesn't seem to be all that reliable regarding the whole process if this is the first he heard about the embassy no longer issuing income affidavits. Sometimes it's the farang who has things the wrong way around, not the immigration officer.

My Thai wife speaks English 

8 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

So what did they accept in lieu of the embassy letter?

He used monthly transfers to apply for his extension.

18 hours ago, kiteman9 said:

16 hours ago, Momofarang said:

And the info I was given quite spontaneously by a friendly group of IOs, all in the same room was "No Health Insurance is needed when an OA is prior 31/10/19".

I've heard exactly the same thing in the last week, the health insurance requirement will only be for new visas.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, kiteman9 said:

Yes I had submitted letters from Bangkok Bank showing 12 months of FTT/deposits from outside Thailand. After signing my name at least 50 times and getting my passport stamped from the first immigration officer I was sent to the head man to get the final approval and his signature. Once that was all done he informed my Thai wife and I that to get my next years visa that I will have to use the 800 thousand in the bank method. Because that they no longer get the letter from the US embassy to confirm income. Even though I had 2 letters from the US veterans administration stating my income. 

"Because that they no longer get the letter from the US embassy to confirm income".

Why did he remind you about the income confirmation letters not being available when you hadn't used that method?

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 1