BANGKOK
kiteman9

No monthly income method in 2020

I just renewed my retirement extension yesterday in Nakhon Phanom using the monthly income method. The head immigration officer that signed and approved my visa told me that I have to switch to the 800 thousand in the bank method in 2020. Because the US embassy is no longer doing the notarized affidavit letter to verify my income.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

How did you do this year?  The alternative to Consulate letters of income is bank record of 65k per month deposits - which I suspect you used?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, kiteman9 said:

Because the US embassy is no longer doing the notarized affidavit letter to verify my income.

This is already the case since the beginning of this year.

• Like 1

A goodly number of expats have reported successful extensions using the income method thus far this year this year. Interesting that not one of them has reported being told about this. There was certainly no hint of it at Sakon Nakhon.

Why should Nakhon Phanom be so different? Maybe the boss there is trying to reduce his post income letters workload.

32 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

How did you do this year?  The alternative to Consulate letters of income is bank record of 65k per month deposits - which I suspect you used?

My monthly deposits come through the bank of Bangkok New York branch from a direct deposit from the US veterans administration. I presented a sealed letter from the VA to confirm where the money came from.

• Thanks 1

Actually I was at my IO this morning to Inquire about the Health Insurance, before my next "Thai wife extension" next month. There were goods news on the HI front, but also, when my wife asked if there was any other new requirement they mentioned something about proof of income, but we weren't interested, as the 400k in bank is a total no brainer as far as we are concerned.

• Confused 2

24 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is certainly incorrect info from the officer.

Maybe he wants you to it using the money in the bank option next year instead of transfers to prove your income.

I do not want to change from the monthly income method to having to deposit 800 thousand baht to get my next years visa. So what should I do? It seems like they change the immigration officers every year. I guess I will have to wait until next August 3 months before my renewal time to see what immigration says about it then. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

The frustration is the maverick rogue IO who insists on a continuous visa hassle.  Hard to relax because if the "unknown requirement" factor...

But hey...small price for a slice of paradise...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Puchaiyank said:

The frustration is the maverick rogue IO who insists on a continuous visa hassle.  Hard to relax because if the "unknown requirement" factor...

If this news proves to be true for 2020, our slice corner of paradise is becoming ever day more little for many foreigners

They will move the goal posts a little bit more farther apart as they can on their own, but until something hits the wind and then comes into police order don't believe it. But we all need to be on guard.

• Like 2

Amen.

3 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

amen. I just need to know wh wat to xo.   ca  use Transferwise  it how much s

month is the law?

• Confused 4