Yamaha Tenere 700

jackdd

What a bike..

Yamaha Tenere 700 Key Features
• High-torque 689cc four-stroke CP2 parallel twin-cylinder engine
• 72.4 HP (54 kW) @ 9000 rpm
• Adjustable 43mm upside down coil-spring forks with long-travel (210mm)
• Remotely adjustable link-type rear suspension with 200mm of travel
• Compact rally-style cockpit with tapered handlebars
• 452 lbs (205 kg) wet weight
• 21-inch/18-inch lightweight spoked wheels with adventure tires
• Average 358+km (217 mile) fuel range
• Switchable ABS option
• 880mm seat height

I mentioned on another Facebook page unless you do more off roading than road riding the mt09 tracer is a much much better buy,with thailand now most roads in good condition and tarmac everywhere ,is there really any places where you are off road for 2 or 3 hours in Thailand?....@72 bhp possibly a little underpowered for experienced riders that would do road trips on mainly roads.

Still a nice bike would like to see it with nearer to 100 bhp.

22 minutes ago, taninthai said:

I mentioned on another Facebook page unless you do more off roading than road riding the mt09 tracer is a much much better buy,with thailand now most roads in good condition and tarmac everywhere ,is there really any places where you are off road for 2 or 3 hours in Thailand?....@72 bhp possibly a little underpowered for experienced riders that would do road trips on mainly roads.

Still a nice bike would like to see it with nearer to 100 bhp.

For driving on paved roads there are many better bikes than the Tenere 700.

Comparing it to a bike like the MT09 Tracer just doesn't make much sense, at first look they might seem similar, but they are quite different.

The MT09 Tracer is a road only bike, the Tenere 700 makes many compromises on road to offer better off road performance.

13 minutes ago, jackdd said:

For driving on paved roads there are many better bikes than the Tenere 700.

Comparing it to a bike like the MT09 Tracer just doesn't make much sense, at first look they might seem similar, but they are quite different.

The MT09 Tracer is a road only bike, the Tenere 700 makes many compromises on road to offer better off road performance.

Yep I get that ,,,,but what I don’t get is many people will buy this bike for riding on road and doing road trips.

also agree the price doesn’t make sense against other bikes in the Yamaha line up,,,,mt07 299k has same engine ,mt09 399k,this bike should have been priced somewhere in the middle.

11 hours ago, jackdd said:

Imho the perfect offroad capable adventure bike for Thailand

Off road ?   What, rice paddies, single track thru jungle ?

Better get an enduro bike.

Or a Wave.

Every track depicted in the promo video

could be negotiated in a Camry.

Nice bike tho, low seat.

Great for dirt roads.

Construction zones.

This bike and all other so-called 'Adventure' bikes are nothing but a styling exercise.

Galvanized garbage cans stuck out the sides and on the back.

Lane splitting - forget it.

Now they have 'Adventure' scooters

As said above - gravel roads, dirt in the dry.

Nuttin' my Dyna won't do - and when the asphalt comes a whole lot nicer ride

6 hours ago, taninthai said:

Yep I get that ,,,,but what I don’t get is many people will buy this bike for riding on road and doing road trips.

For many people the style is just a very important reason, even if it's not the perfect bike for this person's riding pattern.

If everybody would only buy vehicles which are perfectly suited for their riding/driving pattern we wouldn't see so many SUVs on the streets and the manufacturers would sell hardly any supersport bikes.

But even if a Tenere 700 is definitely not optimal for somebody who rides only on the street, it is still a better touring bike than a naked or supersport bike.

6 hours ago, papa al said:

Off road ?   What, rice paddies, single track thru jungle ?

Better get an enduro bike.

Or a Wave.

Of course an enduro bike is better suited for off road than an adventure bike, but an adventure bike is a quite good allrounder. You can ride it 200km on pavement to your target area, then do some off roading over the mountains, and then ride it 200km back home. Try this with an enduro bike or a Honda Wave.

I've thought about getting an enduro bike as a second bike, but concluded that it doesn't make much sense unless i would also get a pickup truck to take the enduro bike arround.

On 12/14/2019 at 3:56 PM, jackdd said:

Of course an enduro bike is better suited for off road than an adventure bike, but an adventure bike is a quite good allrounder. You can ride it 200km on pavement to your target area, then do some off roading over the mountains, and then ride it 200km back home. Try this with an enduro bike or a Honda Wave.

I've thought about getting an enduro bike as a second bike, but concluded that it doesn't make much sense unless i would also get a pickup truck to take the enduro bike arround.

This "off road" thing is mostly/99% a fantasy for big  'adventure' bikes.

If you want road legal & actual off road capable,

get a Honda CRF or Kawasaki KLX,

or even a Lifan X-Cross 200

[guess these are considered dual-sport]

or a Wave.

They can be ridden on single tracks and open ground.

papa has never actually seen an adventure bike

off roading over the mountains.

You can't even pick up one of those big things

if down on a gnarly trail.

But hey, we all have our fantasies.

33 minutes ago, papa al said:

This "off road" thing is mostly/99% a fantasy for big  'adventure' bikes.

If you want road legal & actual off road capable,

get a Honda CRF or Kawasaki KLX,

or even a Lifan X-Cross 200

[guess these are considered dual-sport]

or a Wave.

They can be ridden on single tracks and open ground.

papa has never actually seen an adventure bike

off roading over the mountains.

You can't even pick up one of those big things

if down on a gnarly trail.

But hey, we all have our fantasies.

????????????you should have come to Malaysia with me on my crf and my friend on his versys,we went proper off road it was a nightmare the versys getting dropped many many times it was only a 25 km trail through national park to a camping spot on the river but it must have taken us 2 to 3 hours to do it,,,look back on it now thinking we was crazy to take a versys there off coarse it was great on the crf????????????????

agree the off road thing is fantasy for these big adventure bikes a dry gravel road is not off roading and that’s why I compare these bikes to mt09 tracer and even versys as they can also handle dry gravel roads and that is all that 99% of people that buy this bike will ever venture onto.

Was on my CRF - on 17's - exploring the back way into Pai via the Mae Taeng river to hook up with the 1095.

Went as far as the bridge which had collapsed into the river, and was returning. Met up with a Triumph XCX and a BMW RG 1200.

Both were duck walking down the rutted trail I came over previously, clutch-gas-brake, clutch-gas-brake 555

Both had enuf gear in the side boxes and top box to cross the Sahara.

Blew by them - honked the horn - and chuckled.

And this was in the dry.

2 hours ago, papa al said:

the 1%:   2:41

Reminds me of the secondary roads in Loei 40 years back.  I don't recall quite as many potholes, but the powder dust was awful by the tail end of the dry season.  My Suzuki TS-125 took me to a lot of places.

I agree with taninthai. Well overpriced, plus an MT09 Tracer would make a better touring bike for Thailand. More comfy, more powerful and only 5kg more. Better for a passenger as well. It would handle fire roads, potholed roads easily enough. For real off road a KLX250 would be way better than this Tenere. Never really seen the point of these big off road bikes, if you want to tour, get a touring bike. 

Or just get a normal MT09 and stick good suspension on it. It's lighter and more powerful. And less expensive. I toured on mine from Bangkok to Pai and it was awesome.

Archived