Customers in Pattaya’s famous bars and nightclubs down a whopping 40%

rooster59

2 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Unless we see a devaluation of the baht, and relaxing of the visa requirements here,

Devaluation of the Baht would help massively. Two week tourists haven't been affected in any way by visa changes. Friend of mine visits 3 or 4 times per year, 2 or 3 weeks at a time. Is totally unaware of any visa changes. Also no link between number of expats in Thailand and number of visitors to Thailand.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Not 9 years, 2 at the most, and saying that it was due to "behaviour" is a nonsense. Chicken and egg. IMO, farangs stopped coming (mostly exchange rate) and TAT shifted it's desired demographic as a result.

Have to agree to disagree on that, the old TAT statements will be around somewhere.

Been around Pattaya for over 20 years and seen it change, both good and bad, the roads are busier and the bars are quieter.

4 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Have to agree to disagree on that, the old TAT statements will be around somewhere.

Been around Pattaya for over 20 years and seen it change, both good and bad, the roads are busier and the bars are quieter.

Some bars are quieter. Beer bar complexes such as MIT, Soi Diana Beer bars and Drinking Street are dead, the format of punters sat round the outside of a bar whilst the girls sit inside the bar playing Connect 4 are old hat. Girls getting naked in the bar and seriously interacting with the customers is the new beer bar.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Devaluation of the Baht would help massively. Two week tourists haven't been affected in any way by visa changes. Friend of mine visits 3 or 4 times per year, 2 or 3 weeks at a time. Is totally unaware of any visa changes. Also no link between number of expats in Thailand and number of visitors to Thailand.

Allow me to clarify, in relation to my visa comment.

Without relaxing the visa requirements, Thailand will struggle to attract the next generation of retirees / expats, who will seek a better visa deal elsewhere.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

Allow me to clarify, in relation to my visa comment.

Without relaxing the visa requirements, Thailand will struggle to attract the next generation of retirees / expats, who will seek a better visa deal elsewhere.

Agreed but that has no bearing on tourist numbers.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

I have. Recently Phuket and Hua Hin are even more dead than Pattaya.

I went down to Ao Yang at the weekend. Been going there over 10 years and when I first went it was like the back of beyond, not a hotel in sight. Now several to choose from and the road signs are all in English with many indicating tourist attractions. Caucasian tourists have been on the increase year in year out, just one little coastal area doing it's bit.

As it happens the guy in the room next to us was English, a cyclist, had come from Bangkok and was heading off to Koh Chang. He was then planning to cycle through Cambodia and Vietnam up to Hanoi, bit of a challenge, and a different kind of tourist.

9 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Girls getting naked in the bar and seriously interacting with the customers is the new beer bar.

You mean like it was before mobile phones came along.

The biggest bar complexes have had serious interaction with a bulldozer.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, sandyf said:

So can you explain exactly what is good with the roads being busier

saturated with coaches full of chineses tourists spending 0 bahts in the

very local economy (Only few big joint ventures sinothai win money with them) ?

1 hour ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

No reason to be overly negative.

Not negative, just observations.  I have been to Phuket many times, and Hua Hin a few times.  I have friends in both.  They tell me even the more popular establishments can not be sustainable with the current lack of clientele. 

1 hour ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

Business cycles come and go. 

Do business cycles come and go with a sham military Government????

• Like 2

On 12/23/2019 at 9:15 PM, Leaver said:

I know that, you know that, we all know that.  However, whilst the military backed, wealthy Thai elite, are busy raping the country, whilst masquerading as a democracy, nothing can be done. 

While other countries are building a middle class, Thailand is doing its best to ensure the majority of the wealth is held by a small percent of the population. 

According to certain reports the gap between the rich and poor in the UK has been widening for some years.

We've now got in work benefits for the low paid.

Zero hour contracts which mean if there is no work there's no money.

And Food Banks where they dole out free food to the needy.

All new developments.

And the availability and the waiting times for medical services are getting longer.

And an acute housing shortage in a country with a much colder climate than Thailand. 

51 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

According to certain reports the gap between the rich and poor in the UK has been widening for some years.

All new developments.

And the availability and the waiting times for medical services are getting longer.

And an acute housing shortage in a country with a much colder climate than Thailand. 

Yep, gap has been widening for 10 years since the Tories formed the Government. Now Johnson is in expect more of the same. You ain't seen nothing yet. Double whammy too as he's going to destroy the £.

3 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Yep, gap has been widening for 10 years since the Tories formed the Government. Now Johnson is in expect more of the same. You ain't seen nothing yet. Double whammy too as he's going to destroy the £.

The Brits are welcome to give up the pound in favour of the euro anytime. We Europeans will just wait until the currencies are on par before we will kindly suggest this - which should not take long.

Doomed ye are, doomed....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yogi100 said:

All new developments.

Agree with you,however the working conditions are dictated by the medium of supply and demand,and at the moment there is a glut of cheap Labour available,this keeps wages low and conditions as you describe kak,there are 2.5 million eu citizens resident in the uk just now,what do,es that tell you about conditions in their country of birth?things are going to get worse before they get better.

Edited by kingdong
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Leaver said:

But we are talking of tourists, Expats are a separate entity and should be in the minority in the beer bars and nightclubs. Tourists don't have Visa problems. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/31/2019 at 8:25 PM, Leaver said:

Also, in general, he left farang alone.

Thou jest assuredly. He sent his <deleted><deleted> purachai out to destroy the farang night scene, which was mission accomplished. They were not making money any more. It's never recovered.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, yogi100 said:

All new developments.

I agree.  The developed nations are really talking capitalism to the next level.  The divide between the rich and the poor is widening, but there has always been a middle class, albeit, shrinking in recent times.

However, my post focused on developing nations.  Those that are building a middle class will be a lot better for it in the years to come.

Those countries, such as Thailand, who seek to keep the status quo, with their ancient way of thinking, with fall behind. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jacko45k said:

But we are talking of tourists, Expats are a separate entity and should be in the minority in the beer bars and nightclubs. Tourists don't have Visa problems. 

I agree, but my point being, Thailand is now losing western tourists, and expats.

• Like 2