75 and 70 years old parents visiting: what's a good area to stay?

3road

hELLo,

I m looking for an peaceful but not boring area in BKK where my parents can stay. Likely with an easy access to taxis, tuk tuk, or Grab.

Since they will stay for 13 days, other thn Bangkok what other city would you suggest visiting (they dont like the beach much..)

thanks

As this is the Bangkok forum, I will assume you are talking about Bangkok.  I'd suggest somewhere around Sala Daeng/Surasak.  Good transportation options, close to the river, lots of good restaurants.  You don't mention where you live.  In my experience with visitors from home, it's best for them to stay somewhere within relatively easy reach of your own location.  Makes coordinating meals and activities much easier, especially for you.

For an excursion: Kanchanabury.  Unique guest houses on rafts docked on the river, some very nice and comfortable.  They will certainly know of the famous bridge and railway but it is also a very beautiful area with numerous waterfalls and nature walks.

7 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Have they been to Thailand / Asia before? How well do you know them? They may have been more saucy before you came on the scene? They probably don't remember the '60's because they were there?

First time in TH,  I just want them to have good memories. Hopefully there are interesting daily excursions from BKk? 

Some adventurous friends of ours who are in their 70’s stayed at The Deck by Arun Residence and loved it. They said the room was amazing. It’s near the grand palace but doesn’t have the facilities like a big lobby and pool. So I would go for a hotel on the river like Royal Orchid Sheraton and book them on the club floor. People love it! Any hotel on the river is good for first timers. They’ll love the buffet breakfasts and great facilities. Or, some friends of ours like the Pullman G, 188 Silom Road. You can just walk to restaurants and shopping.

6 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

Some adventurous friends of ours who are in their 70’s stayed at The Deck by Arun Residence and loved it. They said the room was amazing. It’s near the grand palace but doesn’t have the facilities like a big lobby and pool. So I would go for a hotel on the river like Royal Orchid Sheraton and book them on the club floor. People love it! Any hotel on the river is good for first timers. They’ll love the buffet breakfasts and great facilities. Or, some friends of ours like the Pullman G, 188 Silom Road. You can just walk to restaurants and shopping.

Thank you very much)))))  I will check those hotels prices, hopefully they're reasonable, like under $50 a night 

I would start by finding out if they are likely to be able to tolerate the rock hard mattresses that are the norm in most Thai hotels, many older people cannot. If they can't then choice if accommodation shrinks considerably.

Also find out if they are happy to be in a hotel or prefer a service apartment arrangement where they can prepare their own breakfast etc. This too may narrow down choices.

If hard mattresses and regular hotel are fine then indeed  go by neighborhood.

On Ratchadapisek very close to Huai Kwang MRT a brand new Ibis and further down a Sofitel. If they want to go for authentic Thai food a night market ten mins walk. Lots of food everywhere. Both hotels have restaurants. This area is not densely packed as much of BKK. The road is wide givinga bit of breathing space. So let them breathe deeply of the smog haha

28 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

On Ratchadapisek very close to Huai Kwang MRT a brand new Ibis and further down a Sofitel. If they want to go for authentic Thai food a night market ten mins walk. Lots of food everywhere. Both hotels have restaurants. This area is not densely packed as much of BKK. The road is wide givinga bit of breathing space. So let them breathe deeply of the smog haha

Great,  thanks )))

3 minutes ago, 3road said:

Great,  thanks )))

It's a nice area. Very non touristy. No <deleted> being hustled on the street, no scams. Do watch for snatch thieves in front of the hotels signs say.

The Ibis has a massage shop too, I'm sure Sofitel as well.

There are two areas for shopping large Thai malls.

Big C - can get cheap tourist trinkets, shirts

Street - great AC place to eat. Restaurants galore and nice food court. This mall also has a Foodland and now has outside beer garden with live show.

A more fancy mall Esplanade down the road. Restaurants.

They can get a taxi to all these places. The meter to the farthest Esplanade should be about b45. All malls on opposite side of street.

They can also take MRT to Thai Cultural center. Walk to Esplanade easy. The other two few hundred meters.

Enjoy

Right now multiple chains are having cyber sales. Look online for deals.

Check the Holiday Inn on Silom Road. Good location. Good hotel. Free shuttle to BTS. Close to Sathorn pier. www.Ihg.com is the website for Intercontinental Hotels (includes Holiday Inn brand).

Before I moved to Bangkok, my favorite used to be Chatrium on the river ( I prefer it over Sheraton Royal Orchid) but it's over $100 per night.

On 12/15/2019 at 6:55 AM, Ragnarok said:

Thank you.  I m looking for a hotel with riverview.)

On 12/15/2019 at 7:48 AM, 3road said:

Thank you very much)))))  I will check those hotels prices, hopefully they're reasonable, like under $50 a night 

I am afraid that for this price you won't find very much suitable for your parents. 

Archived