High production costs remain obstacle to degradable non-plastic bags

rooster59

High production costs remain obstacle to degradable non-plastic bags

Plastic-Bags-Thai-PBS.jpg

Starting January 1st, 43 shopping malls and convenience stores in Thailand will cease the use of single-use plastic bags, in response to the Government’s policy to completely phase them out.

One major obstacle in the drive to phase them out is the cost of producing dissolvable or degradable non-plastic bags which is, presently, about 2-3 times higher than that of single-use plastic bags.

The National Science and Technology Development Agency has come up with dissolvable non-plastic bags, produced from tapioca flour, which are elastic, strong and dissolve easily in water or in the ground in just 3-4 months.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/high-production-costs-remain-obstacle-to-degradable-non-plastic-bags/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-12-14

So the production cost is higher by 2-3 times.

That equates to a miniscule amount per bag.

I dont known the exact cost of production for a single Plastic bag, but it must be so small as so many are produced.

This would also help out the poor Farmers in Two ways, One to use the Tapioca, and 2 to put back to the Soil for enrichment.

Maybe thats the real problem. Maybe the big Industries are throwing their Toys out of the Pram over this.

11 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

I dont known the exact cost of production for a single Plastic bag, but it must be so small as so many are produced.

This would also help out the poor Farmers in Two ways, One to use the Tapioca, and 2 to put back to the Soil for enrichment.

Maybe thats the real problem. Maybe the big Industries are throwing their Toys out of the Pram over this.

You are correct.  

What they don't understand is the cost of the eco friendly bags will come down over the first few years as production goes up, manufacturing methods improve, and the materials they make the bags from are farmed / produces on a bigger scale.  

Actually, the cost is already cheaper... to the environment and public health.…. I bet it cost people money when they get sick from the fumes of burning plastic, and the loss of fisheries as fish and animals die due to plastic pollution.  

Well, it's for the environment, right? Why is such a minuscule extra charge a problem? Everyone on this forum was telling me that the stores and malls were committed to the cause, and not just looking for a way to reduce their own costs, while turning around and selling more garbage bags. Using these tapioca based bags should be a no-brainer, then. If they don't, then that means this has all been a con to save money. And I'm sure that wouldn't be true, would it?

9 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

Maybe charge for bags, killing 2 birds with one stone? It may inspire people to bring their own and it would help cover the cost.

It would not "help cover the cost." If they charge for them, they will make a profit. Count on it. Give the d@mn bags away for free--that is, if they're really committed to the environment and this campaign hasn't been one big lie to make more profits.

44 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Approximately 40 satang, give or take a bit and depending on volume.

Well, biodegradable seems to be the way to go. I read an article recently about Britain's experience with eliminating single use plastic bags.  The idea was that people would buy re-usable, stronger plastic bags that they could use for a long time.  Marketed as 'bags for life'.   The problem, apparently, is that too many people don't use them for life--they just use them for a week or two and then they get thrown out. The article mentioned the top 10 grocery stores have sold 54 bags for life per household in the UK so far this year.   It takes more plastic and energy to make these stronger bags and they have ended up hurting the environment rather than helping it.  

I thought paper bags were the solution. We used them in the past. Why not now? Paper plus bringing your own does a major dent into the problem. The problem with plastic is mostly in the products and not the checkout.

One issue that may rise up is with less plastic being used and needed, plastic prices may come down and that might impact recycling with lower prices paid for the recycled stuff. Whatever happens, less plastic is better for the environment. It must be done. There will be solutions and there are already millions of people working on them in countries around the globe. We should see major changes through innovation arise starting real soon. The world is going to be turned upside down by the pressure of people demanding change and with all the tech innovation that is coming down the pipe.

4 hours ago, newnative said:

Well, biodegradable seems to be the way to go. I read an article recently about Britain's experience with eliminating single use plastic bags.  The idea was that people would buy re-usable, stronger plastic bags that they could use for a long time.  Marketed as 'bags for life'.   The problem, apparently, is that too many people don't use them for life--they just use them for a week or two and then they get thrown out. The article mentioned the top 10 grocery stores have sold 54 bags for life per household in the UK so far this year.   It takes more plastic and energy to make these stronger bags and they have ended up hurting the environment rather than helping it.  

Well in Holland a plastic bag costs 50 cent or so...that's 16 baht at current exchange rate...

And yes that works, almost all people shop with their own bags which last for years...

If a biodegradable plastic bag costs only 40 satang more than a plastic one they should be sold/given all over europe! They make such a fuss over plastic there, Holland has a plastic tax for a decade already, on everything plastic...

Last time i went to the snackbar for some meals and the guy didn't hear that i ordered takeaway...so he asked me when it was finished and i had to pay a euro extra for the thin plastic baggy...

Archived